Moving Someone From The Line to the Pit

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

aleye92 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Moving Someone From The Line to the Pit

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:18 pm

So heres the story... I have a pretty solid upper battery of two snares and one tenor. However, there is another tenor player who was able to somewhat pull off the audition and make the tenor line. I am now coming to the realization that that was a huge mistake. I'm looking for good ways to ease him into the pit from the tenor line. I know this sounds horrible but a clean upper battery (let alone a clean tenor line) is not possible with him there. I have many reasons I can tell him that would make sense to move him into the pit. My only worry is that he will be so frustrated that he quits in general. Does anyone recommend me saying something specific to make this transition process as calmly as possible?

BTW, it's very early in the season. We have not even had our first competition yet so changes like this would not effect the show too much.

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: Moving Someone From The Line to the Pit

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:29 pm

If he sucks, him quitting won't be a big deal. The part isn't being played now in the pit, so him quitting won't change anything beyond making the battery cleaner.

In terms of saying something specific... It depends. Is his issue just chops/ability or does he not work? If he can't keep up with the music, just tell him that. If it's an attitude thing, then maybe give him a few days to improve and see if it changes at all.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

jplovesthequads Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:50 pm

A player that complains because the person in charge tells him to move positions should not be on the line at all.
PPCHS-Bass/Quads/Snare '10-'13
MGAMB- Snare '12
FSU Big 8- Quads '14-15

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:27 pm

This is the big issue with auditions, and I know some instructors on this site don't suscribe to them at all... they simply assign folks and it works out great.

I'm an audition guy, and have faced a similar problem which is this: someone earns a spot, and then it turns out not to be that great of a fit. What do you do?

Question... if its early enough in the season, can you give the student feedback immediately and give him the chance to improve? I don't know how you guys view competition, but my opinion is that you build a stronger organization when you provide opportunities and challenge the students to rise to the occassion.

Ultimately, if faced with an impossible situation, I think you should not be afraid to move your students around, and have a frank conversation with them about WHY you did it. That way, you can think through the issue for yourself, and give them feedback about your decision. They may not like it, but if you lay it out well then they have to respect it. With feedback they can adjust their playing to maybe come back stronger in the future. Don't try to sugar coat it or deflect it... they will see right through that BS.

On a personal note, I'm revamping my audition process this year. Auditions will establish where the student STARTS, but over the course of summer I will continuously reevaluate, and move them around if needed. As an instructor, I think an instructor's responsibility to balance the needs of the group with the needs of the indivdual to get the absolute best performance. When you give away the ability make adjustments (e.g. by locking people in with auditions) you only undermine your own effectiveness.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:16 pm

A big piece of my philosophy is that I don't want kids performing something that they are uncomfortable with. That is why I audition and why I require marching with a drum as part of the audition (I have kept kids off the battery when their hands were ready and their body was not). The kids understand that this is part of my philosophy. I have only changed a student's spot when they have missed too much rehearsal. If the skills aren't there, I would consider moving a kid. The way I would explain it is that, "I don't want you to be out in front of all those people performing something that you are not comfortable with. I want you to play something that you can be successful with this season. I think that if you spend this season in the pit, working on the fundamentals, you will be more comfortable in the battery next season."
schorsquatch wrote:This is the big issue with auditions, and I know some instructors on this site don't suscribe to them at all... they simply assign folks and it works out great.

I'm an audition guy, and have faced a similar problem which is this: someone earns a spot, and then it turns out not to be that great of a fit. What do you do?

Question... if its early enough in the season, can you give the student feedback immediately and give him the chance to improve? I don't know how you guys view competition, but my opinion is that you build a stronger organization when you provide opportunities and challenge the students to rise to the occassion.

Ultimately, if faced with an impossible situation, I think you should not be afraid to move your students around, and have a frank conversation with them about WHY you did it. That way, you can think through the issue for yourself, and give them feedback about your decision. They may not like it, but if you lay it out well then they have to respect it. With feedback they can adjust their playing to maybe come back stronger in the future. Don't try to sugar coat it or deflect it... they will see right through that BS.

On a personal note, I'm revamping my audition process this year. Auditions will establish where the student STARTS, but over the course of summer I will continuously reevaluate, and move them around if needed. As an instructor, I think an instructor's responsibility to balance the needs of the group with the needs of the indivdual to get the absolute best performance. When you give away the ability make adjustments (e.g. by locking people in with auditions) you only undermine your own effectiveness.
I have also found cases where I've auditioned a kid, they've earned a spot, and then for whatever reason they didn't continue to make progress. I am thinking about re-auditioning every couple weeks for the beginning of next season. It would motivate them to keep making the progress I saw leading up to the original audition.

bassplace Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:41 pm

jplovesthequads wrote:A player that complains because the person in charge tells him to move positions should not be on the line at all.

im pretty sure if i was ever moved off of my drum to pit i would quit. just saying.

i bet you would too.
super duper extra special mad fantastic bluesville blueberries drumline!!
- 2008 - 2nd snare from the left of the right side of the quadline - the muffincake chronicals
- 2009 -3rd snare in from the right side of the bassline - the strawberry shortcake story
- 2010 -middle to the left of the right center snare (im way better than him) - sugar fantasy's

nickname - THE POWERDIDDLER