Teaching the drumline I play in..

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth


Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]
Message
Author
MHSxDrumline Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:42 am

Teaching the drumline I play in..

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:00 am



Ok.. How to make a very long story into a relatively long story..
My Drumline has been teaching themselves for the past 10 years... We dont have much experience when it comes to hard music and discipline... Our Band director doesnt really associate himself with us at all.. and when it comes to competition, if we have our stuff we do, if we dont, we dont... My drumline thinks that everything is a game and they dont give it their best all of the time.. About 3 of us actually go home and practice over our stuff and the others just show up and expect to learn there and not at the house.. I am Section Leader this coming year and the Next year (because I have the most skill on the drumline). How can I get them to realize that it is not a game, and that it is serious buisness? Dont get me wrong, we have skill, but they dont like utilizing the skill that they have. Also, What is your take on Sectionals at peoples houses? Would that Help? Can someone give me a run-through on what I can do to try to improve my drumline? I know that I cant MAKE them do anything and that they have to give me 50%, but how do I get them to want to?
"Practice doesn't make perfect.. Perfect Practice makes perfect" -My old Drum Instructor
"Drums aren't an instrument.. they are simply an excuse for being awesome" -Me
"SQUIRREL" -Bluecoats 2011
"Like a boss.. dut dut dut.. Girl, get yo mouth away from my *buzzroll*" -Bluecoats 2010


'10 4th Bass
'11 Center Snare
'12 Center Snare- Section Leader


twinkle finger Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:10 pm
Location: Downey California

Re: Teaching the drumline I play in..

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:18 am



MHSxDrumline wrote:Ok.. How to make a very long story into a relatively long story..
My Drumline has been teaching themselves for the past 10 years... We dont have much experience when it comes to hard music and discipline... Our Band director doesnt really associate himself with us at all.. and when it comes to competition, if we have our stuff we do, if we dont, we dont... My drumline thinks that everything is a game and they dont give it their best all of the time.. About 3 of us actually go home and practice over our stuff and the others just show up and expect to learn there and not at the house.. I am Section Leader this coming year and the Next year (because I have the most skill on the drumline). How can I get them to realize that it is not a game, and that it is serious buisness? Dont get me wrong, we have skill, but they dont like utilizing the skill that they have. Also, What is your take on Sectionals at peoples houses? Would that Help? Can someone give me a run-through on what I can do to try to improve my drumline? I know that I cant MAKE them do anything and that they have to give me 50%, but how do I get them to want to?
Having sectionals at someones house is great because not only will you get some practicing in but you will also get to know each other a little bit more. As far as discipline goes just try to get them in a group and tell them straight up that they need to step it up. You should also try having little sleepovers at someones house DRUMLINE ONLY It's good to develop a relationship all together as a drumline and a family. Also if you three just so happen to be in different sections (Bass,Snare,Tenor) then you guys should try to have sectionals with your section atleast two times a week..Oh and try to talk to your BD about drumline see if he can get more involved and see if he can hire an instructor for you guys it helps alot. Well thats all I have for now :) good luck though man :D


MHSxDrumline Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:42 am

Re: Teaching the drumline I play in..

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:24 am



Thanks for the Reply! I will try the sectionals at each other's houses.. that seems to be a fun easy way to practice.. I just want to be that "Clean as Piss" drumline everyone always admires.. I know that doesnt come without work though!
"Practice doesn't make perfect.. Perfect Practice makes perfect" -My old Drum Instructor
"Drums aren't an instrument.. they are simply an excuse for being awesome" -Me
"SQUIRREL" -Bluecoats 2011
"Like a boss.. dut dut dut.. Girl, get yo mouth away from my *buzzroll*" -Bluecoats 2010


'10 4th Bass
'11 Center Snare
'12 Center Snare- Section Leader


Creekynoise Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Teaching the drumline I play in..

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:59 pm



I think I've seen this scenario like 1,000,000 times so far on this forum alone haha (exaggeration, but seen it a lot). If you are going to have mandatory sectionals, I'm not sosure about doing it at someone's house. That could potentially cause problems with parents and with your director. You should seek director approval before doing anything that's mandatory for everyone. Now if you are talking about inviting the line over to the house to practice, AKA a personal practice, then that would be a pretty good idea.

I think a lot of high school lines have the issue of lack of dedication in some members, etc etc. You have to remember it's just a high school line. There really is no substitution for having an actual instructor. Getting a good, qualified instructor would be the best thing to do, but that is up to the director. I've had to do this with my old high school line for a couple years, but the kids were younger and I was able to mold them to better discipline that when I started actually teaching the line as an instructor, post-graduation, they knew what I expected.

The best thing you can do, as section leader, is not to show that you can outplay them, but to be the true leader. Try to motivate them, help them (without coming off as arrogant or conceided), lead by example, all of that good stuff. When you start getting their respect, whether they like you as a person or not, that is when you can really make some headway. You can't force anyone to practice at home or anything, you can only try to get inside their minds and try to get them to do a little more.

You will probably know the strengths and weaknesses of your line better than anyone else if you spend so much time with them. Learn the strengths and weaknesses and use them to your advantage. Try to work out the biggest weaknesses, and play to your strengths. That's all you really can do. We can't expect a high school line to be at a college level or a DCI level, in any way, including discipline. Some schools are able to achieve a higher level of playing, but others can't, and that's just how high schools seem to work.
Percussionist
'04 - Present

Instructor
'11 - Present


ConorD Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Teaching the drumline I play in..

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:06 pm



Creekynoise wrote:We can't expect a high school line to be at a college level or a DCI level, in any way, including discipline.
If you don't expect it, how can you ever hope to achieve it?


Creekynoise Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Teaching the drumline I play in..

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:31 pm



ConorD wrote:
Creekynoise wrote:We can't expect a high school line to be at a college level or a DCI level, in any way, including discipline.
If you don't expect it, how can you ever hope to achieve it?
Well, I probably could have worded that better. You try to achieve it it, is what I am saying, by pushing them to be the best they can be. But holding them to that kind of standard and enforcing only that kind of standard doesn't yield much success, just from what I have seen. If anyone else has had success like this else where, then feel free to chime in. However, you have to have some leeway to adapt to it being a high school organization. In the past, I have also found that if you try to put such a standard on kids right away, they get so frustrated and they quit and this that and the other. There is a reason this is high school. It's an outlet for kids to have fun as well as them doing their best and you won't get the same kind of pool of talent that you would at a college line or a drum corps line.

I understand the point you were making, but I think you were taking it as in we should drop the standards and say they will never achieve it. That is not what I was saying, though. Simply that you should push them to be the best that they can, but be careful not to over exert that standard and try to put it on them. Remember, most kids are doing it for fun in high school, most of them aren't trying to be the next member of the Bluecoats snareline. With any group I teach, I won't go in and say that they should imitate the approach to discipline and expectations that of drum corps X. Each group is different and requires different things. For the typical high school line, it's best to observe what you have and what works best to get them to be the best, and often times it doesn't require pushing them to such an extreme level.

Hopefully that clears things up. I understood what part you were calling out, but I think you interpreted that differently than what was originally meant.
Percussionist
'04 - Present

Instructor
'11 - Present


ConorD Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Teaching the drumline I play in..

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:45 pm



Achievement is something you work toward and is relative to the level of talent you get. But everything else is mental and can be taught from day one. Why shouldn't a high school line be held to the same standard of discipline and dedication as a top DCI percussion section? Anything less is a disservice to the kids.


Creekynoise Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Teaching the drumline I play in..

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:07 pm



ConorD wrote:Achievement is something you work toward and is relative to the level of talent you get. But everything else is mental and can be taught from day one. Why shouldn't a high school line be held to the same standard of discipline and dedication as a top DCI percussion section? Anything less is a disservice to the kids.
Edit: I think I know what you are saying now. I agree that we should hold the kids to playing to top caliber, but when I said expect I mean saying that we can't expect that all kids actually will rise up and do what's needed to be at the top caliber and that has to be taken accounted for. In what I was saying in my earlier post, I didn't mean to say that you should drop the standards, but rather expect that not everyone will be, or is willing to be, at that standard and adjust accordingly.
Percussionist
'04 - Present

Instructor
'11 - Present


Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum