Teaching Matched vs. Trad?

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

PanasonicYouth Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Teaching Matched vs. Trad?

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:32 pm

So here's the deal: my roommate and I are being hired to tech at a local school for their indoor season. We're the head drumline instructors, and neither of us really has experience with being in charge (I've done so with my high school's line after I graduated, but I knew them all, and we have been assistant techs at another school this past fall).

The previous instructors put the snares on matched grip during the fall, but now I'm wondering if it's at all worth it to try and re-introduce traditional for this season. I think it's valuable for them to learn, especially if they want to go on to play with other ensembles, but we're in a bit of a bind as far as time goes. Our first camp with them is January 6, and their first show is less than three weeks from then (they'll probably just play standstill). I need to make a decision now, whether to keep matched or go traditional. I know the general benefits of keeping matched - I'm not by any means against it. I just don't know anything about how these kids play, or if they have experience with traditional.

I'm confident that I can teach either grip, but I really just need to make the best decision I can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: Teaching Matched vs. Trad?

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:25 pm

I'd suggest trying traditional for the first camp. If they're smart kids and pick it up quickly, then go with it. If not, stick with matched.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

Andymac Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:31 pm

Was matched just introduced in the fall? What did they play before that?

bug1580 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:45 pm

If you're teching, I think you need to leave it up to the ensemble's director

PanasonicYouth Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:59 pm

bug1580 wrote:If you're teching, I think you need to leave it up to the ensemble's director
I talked with the director about it when we first met with him, and he said it was up to us.

I don't know what they did before fall, because I don't know how long the other instructors were there. I'm going to guess that they've been doing it at least two seasons or so. I have no way of knowing who has any experience with traditional, though.

Andymac Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Well if all they've ever played is matched then I'd leave it, at least for this season.

aleye92 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:48 pm

Keep it as matched for the season. Traditional grip requires a completely different set of muscles that would take more than 3 weeks to build. If you really want them to play traditional, I would introduce it to them and tell them and they need to build the muscles on their own time throughout the season. Giving them an entire season to work on traditional on their own will be enough time for them to see if they are capable of doing it the next season. Like I said, keep it as matched for now since it is their strongest grip.

PanasonicYouth Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:51 pm

I've been leaning toward matched, so all this makes good sense. I'm going to keep them on matched, but I'll probably do as suggested and at least introduce it to them. I have seen a couple high school lines march matched, but then switch to traditional for a short brush passage or something of the sort. Maybe I'll do something like that, but for now, matched it is.

I'll keep this open for discussion for now, though.

alochsta Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:10 am

I'd use matched for the upcoming season and start introducing traditional via private lessons.

i_like_turtles

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:34 am

I would definitely say stick with matched. There are some fantastic groups out there that use matched. Dartmouth, Kickapoo, etc. Maybe if you're still there in a couple years, then you could make the switch. Offer lessons and whoever wants/takes them, tell them to use traditional during the lesson, but matched at home.

Doob Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:17 pm

I would teach traditional. I go to school in a district where matched is taught and I hate it. It's a lot harder to learn traditional from matched than vise versa. The other pro to traditional is that they can play in other places. Personally matched feels better and if it were up to everyone should play matched but that's just not the way it is.

EDIT: These guys have a point. Stick to matched change to traditional later.
Your hands are like Rome, they don't get built overnight.
Rio Rico HS Bass 1 09-11
Rio Rico HS Snare 11-13