Getting paid?

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

tarasaurus Offline
noob
noob

Getting paid?

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm a freshman in college and I haven't had a ton of experience teaching, but from the two gigs I have had, and having a few years of section leader experience, I know it's something I'm interested in. I recently sent out messages to a couple of connections I had, looking for a line to work with this winter. I had someone answer back offering to let me work with an indoor line they are starting this year at a local high school. He said he'd stay in touch. I want to know how can I make sure they plan to pay me without coming across the wrong way? I don't know if they expect me to just volunteer since I'm so knew at this or if they plan on paying me. Over the summer I worked at my old high school for their band and precamp, and they surprisingly paid me very well. I don't expect much, as I said before, I haven't had that much experience. But I at least want enough to cover gas and maybe a little extra just for the time I'd be putting in. How can I state this nicely without seeming to high maintenance about it? Or if you have any other tips for working as a new instructor, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
GHHS
Marimba '06
Bass 1 '07
Snare '08
Center Snare '09
GH Indoor Percussion '10 Center Snare
Center Snare '10
GH Indoor Percussion '11 Tenors

WMU
Bass 1 '11

billc36 Offline

Re: Getting paid?

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:49 pm

Don't be surprised if they don't pay you, or offer to pay you. As a new instructor, you unfortunately have to go with little to no pay while you "cut your teeth."

I know with my groups in the past, if you were a first time instructor, I had no problems bringing you on to help teach, if I thought you could handle it, but told you up front that there was no pay, but we'd take care of food on trips, and a room on overnight trips.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

bltsponge Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:30 am

Be upfront about it. If they don't bring it up, you should. You should at least ask them to cover transportation costs so that you aren't losing money by working there.
Q

bltsponge Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:30 am

Be upfront about it. If they don't bring it up, you should. You should at least ask them to cover transportation costs so that you aren't losing money by working there.
Q

dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:44 am

bltsponge wrote:Be upfront about it. If they don't bring it up, you should. You should at least ask them to cover transportation costs so that you aren't losing money by working there.
Go for transportation as a minimum. When I take staff members who are right out of college, I try to have them volunteer for a year and see what they are able to do. If one lived far enough away to need gas money, I would give them that. If I am going to pay somebody, I expect them to have at least one season of tech experience. I check references, and I am up front with them about how much I can pay them (usually around $300 for a season).

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:41 pm

like dgaking said, your "commodity" of being a tech has not been tried yet, so your "value" is not ready to be assesed for compinsation. Work for free this first season - or at least for "room and board" - and then see what happens. You could just go to them and ask "did you budget for staff and techs to get payed?" I can't think of any of the high school lines I know of that have paid staff. It is all for the experience, and the elbow-rubbing. You will get "paid" at first by just building a rep as a quality instructor...which can then get you writing jobs, and other paying jobs in the future
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

tarasaurus Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:16 am

Hey, thanks for all the input. I totally understand the working for free thing. Them offering me a place to help will definitely help me out in the future. But as a college student, I can't afford to be losing money via transportation. So I'll try and be upfront about at least the transportation costs. I don't expect much beyond that. I'll just be happy to get an experience that I can learn from.
GHHS
Marimba '06
Bass 1 '07
Snare '08
Center Snare '09
GH Indoor Percussion '10 Center Snare
Center Snare '10
GH Indoor Percussion '11 Tenors

WMU
Bass 1 '11

Wagsdrummer92 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:59 am

i would send them an e-mail saying
"ok i need all the info you can give me practice site and time, costs/pay, and travel as well as the seasons schedule?"
CorpsVets 2010 Aux "360"
Frequency Inc. 2012 Cymbals "Unconquerable"
Pioneer 2012 Bass 4 "Irish Immigrants: The Hands that Built America"
SU Snare 2012
DSIP Cymbals 2013
Palmetto Percussion 2014 Cymbals
CV Indoor 2015 Cymbals
Alliance DBC Cymbal Instructor
Spirit of Atlanta 2016 Cymbal Instructor
Tates Creek Indoor Ensemble 2017 Cymbal Instructor

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:25 pm

tarasaurus wrote:Hey, thanks for all the input. I totally understand the working for free thing. Them offering me a place to help will definitely help me out in the future. But as a college student, I can't afford to be losing money via transportation. So I'll try and be upfront about at least the transportation costs. I don't expect much beyond that. I'll just be happy to get an experience that I can learn from.
well, if you are having to drive more than 20 miles one way, asking for that expense is probably not a bad thing. Are there going to be any other people from your college teching? We have techs that will carpool with each other that come up from Ohio State, or OU...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

extrikate Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Location: where the sun shines, the beaches are plenty, and the mice are 6' tall

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:52 pm

My 2 cents based on experience: If you will be the lead instructor for a group you should receive some compensation. There is no set number as this would depend more on the level of your group, the programs finances, and how many hours you will be providing. If you will be in a tech position, you will likely be expected to volunteer while you are "auditioning" your teaching skills. Either way, there is no reason to feel uncomfortable about simply asking if they offer compensation. Ultimately, your time has value and you will need to determine what you are willing to commit to for free or $.
"If two people agree on everything, then one of them is unnecessary." -Winston Churchill

DCA: 1993-1996, 2012-2014
Pipe Band: 2005-present
Instructor: 1995-present

bltsponge Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:02 pm

Just different perspective, in my area (Northeast US), every high school instructor that I know of is payed. Their pay is usually more than simply covering travel costs (although not significantly more). It's going to be different for different regions based on the financial situation of the school district's, but don't assume that they want to you to work for free if they don't explicitly say so. If you don't bring up money, they might not either.
Q

Wagsdrummer92 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:32 am

in the southeast, its mostly volunteer work
music departments don't have funding and independants don't have the funds to pay people, we do it because we love doing it
CorpsVets 2010 Aux "360"
Frequency Inc. 2012 Cymbals "Unconquerable"
Pioneer 2012 Bass 4 "Irish Immigrants: The Hands that Built America"
SU Snare 2012
DSIP Cymbals 2013
Palmetto Percussion 2014 Cymbals
CV Indoor 2015 Cymbals
Alliance DBC Cymbal Instructor
Spirit of Atlanta 2016 Cymbal Instructor
Tates Creek Indoor Ensemble 2017 Cymbal Instructor

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:46 pm

in Ohio...I could probably count on one hand the number of Drumline Specific insructors who get paid enough to not have a "real job". I personally am also in a minority of the Drumline guys who are also assistant band directors, so I can say that it is my "real job", but I also have to do middle school full band stuff as well.

Most directors say "I am a band director who has to do drumline...ugh"
-(btw, I HATE, HATE,HATE, this mentality)

I always say "I am a Drumline instructor that has to do band..."
- and this comment always gets me "the look" from the types that make the comment I hate from above. Like I am not a real band director b/c I am a pecussionist
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

Novak Offline

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:10 pm

I taught at my old high school for the past two summers and got paid for this most recent one. I simply told the band director (who was new) that I was a college student and though I loved helping for free, being paid for it would definitely be really nice and useful as a college student. He just graduated two or three years ago so he was on the same page and totally agreed that I should be paid.

So I was.
Andrew Novak
All Hail LQ

Rosewood&Beads Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:48 am

For the OP:
You just gotta bring it up. I had to with the directors I'm working for. I just had to be straight with them, gas money would've killed me.
For whoever commented saying high school techs don't get paid:
I have no idea where you live, but no where near the south, because every high school I've ever been in, taught at, or seen has paid techs, all of them paid.
Marching Band:
Tarpon Springs '09
Lakewood Ranch '10 '11
Indoor:
Manatee County Independent '11 '12
Drum Corps:
Tampa Bay Thunder DCA '11 '12
Marimba is my gig.

Warning! I enjoy saying controversial things. So, if you don't like what I say, keep calm and deal with it.

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:09 am

sxetnrdrmr wrote:in Ohio...I could probably count on one hand the number of Drumline Specific insructors who get paid enough to not have a "real job". I personally am also in a minority of the Drumline guys who are also assistant band directors, so I can say that it is my "real job", but I also have to do middle school full band stuff as well.

Most directors say "I am a band director who has to do drumline...ugh"
-(btw, I HATE, HATE,HATE, this mentality)

I always say "I am a Drumline instructor that has to do band..."
- and this comment always gets me "the look" from the types that make the comment I hate from above. Like I am not a real band director b/c I am a pecussionist
We're in the same boat sxetnrdrmr. I've been that "percussionist/drummer band director" going on 29 years now. I started teaching drum camps the summer I graduated from high school. My high school band director's brother was also a band director and needed a drum instructor for his band camp, so I cut my teeth that summer before starting my college career at Auburn. I was paid $250 as I remember. Over the years I have taught many camps (too many to remember ) and the usual pay was around $300-350 for the week. Later in my career I laid out my parameters as far as time and location, so I usually received $400 for 4 days. A flat $100 per day with a 4 hour day. As I got older I did not want to do the drill outside in the blazing southeastern sun, so I worked the lines inside and someone else worked the drill. (usually the band director). These were lines who had no part time or full time instructors, so I was basically doing remedial work and setting up an exercise program to build the line.

I will say the only time I hired a drum person to help with my line, since I was terribly busy writing and cleaning drill, teaching the hornline, coordinating color guard/majorettes, attending band booster meetings, ordering band shoes, you name it.....I eventually fired ( oh that's a little harsh- sounds like Donald Trump), I asked him not to come back. Too many cooks in the kitchen. Learned my lesson on that one.

My advice to young instructors- act like an adult. Don't try to be a pal for the students. It sends the wrong message and makes the band director think he or she will need to watch your every move and this will eventually lead to your dismissal from the program. And one more thing, don't yell and scream at the kids when they can't play something. That's why you have been hired. Teach them.

Just a few points.

Dennis
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

JLbluefan09 Offline
snarescience addict
snarescience addict

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:58 pm

This will be my second year at the school I'm teaching. I didn't get paid my first year but I am this year.
Gateway Indoor
'12 rack
'13 synth

Music City Drum Corps
'12 synth
pearltenors wrote:IM 13 OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joe356 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:01 pm

Wow. I've never not been paid for my work when dealing with a high school program. There's always a contract in place, and I've never had to bring it up. I've done some pro bono work for independent groups (drum corps, indoor lines etc), but never scholastic programs. The pay hasn't always been great. When I first started I wasn't making a killing, but it was more than just transit costs. I was driving an hour to rehearsals, and still making more than I would with a part time job in town. Maybe I've just been lucky in the jobs I've had.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Re:

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:38 am

in my first 15 years as the percussion instructor I got paid nothing...I got to go with the band to Disney for half-off. what I did get, though, was an instant job when the school decided to expand the program. No interviews, no nothing. it was actually sort of a surprise to me. The experience I developed in those first 15 years was more valuable then any pay check I could have got...and it led to a steady pay check eventually. Granted, I don't need much in the way of money...i live very minimalist...so I never felt like I was missing anything...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans