What to do with a cymbal line during warm ups.

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

aleye92 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

What to do with a cymbal line during warm ups.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:52 pm

I noticed a lot of lines with cymbal players only have them warm up with the battery during their legato exercises. Whenever they do an accent-tap or triplet exercise, the cymbal players are no longer there. This coming drumline season will be the first season I will instruct with a cymbal line and I'm just wondering what I should have them do during the accent-tap and triplet warm ups (i have parts for them for the legato exercise). Should I write parts for them in those exercises too or is there something cymbal players generally do during that time?

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: What to do with a cymbal line during warm ups.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:11 pm

I don't have any experience with cymbal lines, but I'd guess just write a part for that as well.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

bug1580 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:53 pm

This is my first year instructing a cymbal line as well, but here are my thoughts on it.

Cymbal players do need to have appropriate warm ups to get them ready to play, but I feel like they also need more stretching and physical warm ups than the other drumline members.

Again, I'm new to the cymbal game as well, so I'll be interested to hear what others say on this as well.

dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:53 pm

I guess the growth of the indoor circuit is causing a lot of us to branch out into new territory. This is my first season teaching a cymbal line as well. I have parts written for them for all exercises. They might fill in the accents on some of them or work on the various cymbal sounds. Many exercises offer timing opportunities for them to work on. Sometimes I do let them sit out of an exercise to give their arms a break.

gnarwall Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:07 pm

Cymbals usually warm up on their own in the groups I've been in and taught. Its a better use of their time. I'd say 70% of the time during warm ups they are on their own, unless we are running show music In which case it's in their benefit to be there with the battery. When they are sectionalizing on their own the cymbals can spend more time concocting visuals, and working on more cymbal specific stuff.

dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:19 pm

I know this is a little off topic, but has anybody had any luck getting their new cymbal lines to do some cool visuals? I have a lot of stuff based on my dance experience, and integrating music into that is really fun. However, I have no clue about all the flashy stuff all the world class lines are doing.

Wagsdrummer92 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:35 pm

I'm currently marching cymbals for WGI this year and we spend almost all of rehersal of by ourselves (totally odd for me since im a bass and snare guy) but we do ALOT of muscle and endurance building as well as muscle memory exercises to make sure we all have perfect technique and get a good consistant sound. after that we listen to the music and bounce ideas off each other as a group the tech then chooses whether or not they work
CorpsVets 2010 Aux "360"
Frequency Inc. 2012 Cymbals "Unconquerable"
Pioneer 2012 Bass 4 "Irish Immigrants: The Hands that Built America"
SU Snare 2012
DSIP Cymbals 2013
Palmetto Percussion 2014 Cymbals
CV Indoor 2015 Cymbals
Alliance DBC Cymbal Instructor
Spirit of Atlanta 2016 Cymbal Instructor
Tates Creek Indoor Ensemble 2017 Cymbal Instructor

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:45 pm

dgaking wrote:I know this is a little off topic, but has anybody had any luck getting their new cymbal lines to do some cool visuals? I have a lot of stuff based on my dance experience, and integrating music into that is really fun. However, I have no clue about all the flashy stuff all the world class lines are doing.
I got lucky as all getout with my cymbal players... they are all self starters and really kick some butt. Honestly, they are the highlight of the drumline. It all started with one 8th grade kid and a percussion clinic. He was the only kid from our school with the cymbals instruction, and surrounded by advanced students from different schools, and I followed him for moral support. He asked me "what do I do"... I said "listen hard, learn a lot, because I don't know anything about cymbals and after today your brain will be the sole repository of all cymbal information for the entire drumline".

This kid never looked back. So, I guess its the same story as always... expose them to cool stuff, try to rub off some enthusiasm and hope it clicks. In this case it worked. I wish it was that easy for the other squads! :roll:
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

aleye92 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:26 pm

Wagsdrummer92 wrote:I'm currently marching cymbals for WGI this year and we spend almost all of rehersal of by ourselves (totally odd for me since im a bass and snare guy) but we do ALOT of muscle and endurance building as well as muscle memory exercises to make sure we all have perfect technique and get a good consistant sound. after that we listen to the music and bounce ideas off each other as a group the tech then chooses whether or not they work
Thats interesting. What kind of muscle and endurance building exercises do you guys do?

Wagsdrummer92 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:08 am

aleye92 wrote:
Wagsdrummer92 wrote:I'm currently marching cymbals for WGI this year and we spend almost all of rehersal of by ourselves (totally odd for me since im a bass and snare guy) but we do ALOT of muscle and endurance building as well as muscle memory exercises to make sure we all have perfect technique and get a good consistant sound. after that we listen to the music and bounce ideas off each other as a group the tech then chooses whether or not they work
Thats interesting. What kind of muscle and endurance building exercises do you guys do?
we hold the cymbals at set for a series of counts then move from one postion to the next

sets of 8, 16, 32.
CorpsVets 2010 Aux "360"
SU Snare 2012
DSIP Cymbals 2013
CV Indoor 2015 Cymbals

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:28 pm

when I do have cymbals, they have a musical part for every warm up we do since they are a musical ensemble...BUT, sometimes they also do a muscle warm-up/endurance/memory builder they call "the game" (based on a thing I saw the Glassmen cymbal lines of old do):

it is done in time while the battery is playing

basically center cymb will go to a position with the cymbals, usually starting with "clock positions" (1,2,3,4,5 o'clock) and then hold them there for a certain number of couints. The rest of the line follows suit. After this, center will start "ghosting" different sound - crashes, crunches, scoops, tings etc - and the rst of the lines follow. the "game" gets harder as center starts doing more things, and at faster bet intervalls. It is actually really cool once they get going.

All of this happens with real snappy movement and they all have to react in time. If you "lose" the game at practice you have to do some kind of physical thing like squats or planks or something. If you "lose" the game at a performance, you buy everyone else a hot dog or something at the concession stand.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

Wagsdrummer92 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:08 pm

^Love this
CorpsVets 2010 Aux "360"
SU Snare 2012
DSIP Cymbals 2013
CV Indoor 2015 Cymbals

extrikate Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Location: where the sun shines, the beaches are plenty, and the mice are 6' tall

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:33 pm

Here's how I have my cymbals warmup with the full battery:

8's - playing quarter notes they will execute a flat crash on 1 and hi-hat (hinge choke) on 2, 3, 4

Tap & Accent - playing quarter notes the will execute hi-hat on 1, 2, 3, 4 and a sizzle on the & of 4

Double Stroke - strength training for 8 counts each: set position, arms straight out to sides, arms straight out front, arms straight up, repeat

16th Note Timing - quarter note hi-hat during check patterns followed by a specific crash/effect type.

I try to hit every technique while also addressing timing and split parts. I would provide my exercises but then you wouldn't have the fun of creating your own 8)
"If two people agree on everything, then one of them is unnecessary." -Winston Churchill

DCA: 1993-1996, 2012-2014
Pipe Band: 2005-present
Instructor: 1995-present

ernie_92 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:02 pm

I never have My cymbal line warm up with the Battery, we will have our own exercises . I have a 8 every 8 exercise and I also have a Crash Choke breakdown that I use and then we play parts of the show. Cymbal Lines can create their own warm ups and dont need to warm up with the battery
Mandarins Cymbal Tech 2013-current
Ayala High School Cymbal Tech- 2004- Current
Impulse Drum & Bugle Corp Cymbal Tech- 2003-2009
Pulse Percussion Cymbal Tech 2005-2008
Velvet Knights Drum and Bugle Corp Assistant Director- 2011,2012
Velvet Knights Drum and Bugle Corp- Co Caption Head- 2012

i_like_turtles

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:24 pm

The only cymbal lines I've been with are in college and Gateway. In both cymbal lines, they stretch for their warmup. Just some different wrist, arm and back stretches. Then they practice different flips to their different set positions. Then they do the same exercise with different crashes they have.

kumachan Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:28 am

I write exercises for my cymbal line to go with the battery. Yes, they even play a Triplet Diddle with Taps as diddles and Tap Chokes as accents... Great timing stuff.
Velvet Knights
10': Front Ensemble
Gold
12'-15': Front Ensemble
Orange County Independent/Broken City
11'-16': Front Ensemble