Diddle Quality and Control

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

aleye92 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Diddle Quality and Control

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:41 pm

I'm having trouble teaching a snare and a tenor player how to perform double stroke rolls and being able to keep the tempo while playing them. I've also noticed that they drop their back fingers completely when going for a double stroke and the snare's traditional hand begins to tense up. I've tried sanford double beat and they are both able to play that fairly well. The problem is that they cant play straight diddles throughout an entire 4/4 bar. What are some ways I can make diddles more clear to them in a way where they will understand it better and be able to execute it as best as possible?

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Diddle Quality and Control

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:52 am

I find that my students have trouble making the intuitive leap from Sanford Double Beat to the open roll. You may want to consider a re-write of your standard roll exercise. Right now, I would bet that its 16ths and 16th diddles (32nd notes). Re configure it so it is 8ths and 8th note diddles (16ths). That may help them better understand how the roll breaks down. It will also give them something to practice that they can transition directy into a roll as they get stronger.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

drumer93 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:38 am

The exercise slow doubles/gallop/doubles/strokalicious
It goes by many names.
haha.
know what I'm talking about?
facebook.com/drumer93
I like percussion.

Cbspree Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:46 am

drumer93 wrote:The exercise slow doubles/gallop/doubles/strokalicious
It goes by many names.
haha.
He means this. But MUCH slower.

aleye92 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:12 pm

schorsquatch wrote:I find that my students have trouble making the intuitive leap from Sanford Double Beat to the open roll. You may want to consider a re-write of your standard roll exercise. Right now, I would bet that its 16ths and 16th diddles (32nd notes). Re configure it so it is 8ths and 8th note diddles (16ths). That may help them better understand how the roll breaks down. It will also give them something to practice that they can transition directy into a roll as they get stronger.
The exercise actually is in the 8th note pattern diddles (16ths). They understand the concept that diddles are pulsed in a certain ways (eights or triplets), they just flat out cant do diddles. Would you say this is just something that just needs practice at home?

aleye92 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Cbspree wrote:
drumer93 wrote:The exercise slow doubles/gallop/doubles/strokalicious
It goes by many names.
haha.
He means this. But MUCH slower.
Interesting. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:54 pm

You are on the right track with Sanford Double Beat. Trade Sanford with Hugga-Dugga (a.k.a. Chicken Roll). You could also put together an exercise that trades off. For example, 1e-a2-&a-e&-4-&-1e&a2e&a3e&a4-&-.

Start straight diddles at a painfully slow tempo, focusing on bringing the sticks back to the height where they started. Don't increase the tempo until the strokes are perfectly full and the timing is perfect.

aleye92 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:06 pm

dgaking wrote:You are on the right track with Sanford Double Beat. Trade Sanford with Hugga-Dugga (a.k.a. Chicken Roll). You could also put together an exercise that trades off. For example, 1e-a2-&a-e&-4-&-1e&a2e&a3e&a4-&-.

Start straight diddles at a painfully slow tempo, focusing on bringing the sticks back to the height where they started. Don't increase the tempo until the strokes are perfectly full and the timing is perfect.
Thanks, I'll try that too. I guess this takes a very high amount of patience. lol

dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:57 pm

aleye92 wrote:
dgaking wrote:You are on the right track with Sanford Double Beat. Trade Sanford with Hugga-Dugga (a.k.a. Chicken Roll). You could also put together an exercise that trades off. For example, 1e-a2-&a-e&-4-&-1e&a2e&a3e&a4-&-.

Thanks, I'll try that too. I guess this takes a very high amount of patience. lol
Absolutely. The kids have to be patient and so do you. I think I am going to find some videos of lines executing diddles very well and show them to a few of my students for motivation.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:34 pm

also, try having them play with only their back 3 fingers gripping the stick. I do this with my kids...especially the ones who tend to take their fingers off and roll just from their pinch. Do the same exercises mentioned above, but with this variation. No faster than 110bpm since it is a strengthening exercise and not a speed builder.

I call it "Back Finger Isolation". I slao have my kids play with their pinch only - purposefully taking the back 3 fingers off - to find the muscle interaction here too

it just sounds like they are getting to a threshold of where their wrists and pinches can go, and they are not using their back fingers properly to catch the rebound
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans