Anyone mind working with me on this? My band is terrible.

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Anyone mind working with me on this? My band is terrible.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:04 am

So.. my high school line is terrible. You know that line you always see on the field, and say "Oh, thank god I'm not in that band"?

Yeah, that's us. I want to change that for my last year in high school band... mostly because I have to do it for the credits, and I don't want it to be torture like it was this year. I have no idea how to get that started though. Here's a basic run through of my situation...

We have no instructors and our band director is always too busy with the band, so I basically have to teach everything. I'd love to start rehearsals in the spring, but I don't know how to get that going. We usually have 2 weeks before school - one of drumline camp, one of full band - to teach everyone how to play, try and learn music, etc. We practice for 4 hours a week, and don't learn our entire show until 2 weeks before the season ends. We never do summer rehearsals, and since I'll be on tour I won't be there to make them happen.

Yeah, a lot of these are problems with the whole band, which I can't fix. I feel like I can fix the drumline though... I just don't know where to begin, really. How do I get people to practice, and learn their *beep*? How do I make people show up to rehearsals? How do I teach them to play together? Last year, there wasn't one measure in the bass or snare book that was really clean, because we just never learned to play together. We met, spent one day attempting (failing) to learn basics exercises - never got past really dirty 8s - and then had to dive in to show music. The only reason the tenors were clean was because I was the only one, and I was the only one with a "corps" like attitude.

If anyone would be willing to PM me or shoot me an email and help me figure this stuff out, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, and to provide a sample of how bad we our...

Watch at your own risk.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

petrolika Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Anyone mind working with me on this? My band is terrible

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:09 am

You can't make people practice. You can't make people come to rehearsals. You can't make people do anything really, but you can get them to realise that they'll never do well if they don't practice, or don't come to rehearsals. I'm sure they've all seen videos of DCI and WGI lines, use that to your advantage:

Ask them: 'Do you want to be like one of these lines? Do you want to be admired, and for people to look at you and think "Wow they're *beep* awesome"? Or do you want people to be saying "damn they suck"? Come to rehearsals, practice and LEARN TO PLAY TOGETHER. Only then will you ever be a decent line.

Also, basics should be more important than show music. If you can't get your basics downpat, work on them. You can always rewrite the music to be simpler and easier to learn if you don't have much time.
Les femmes françaises ne sont pas poilu, ils ont juste beaucoup d'ombre autour de leurs aisselles, qui donne aux gens la perception de la pilosité français.

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:34 am

Thing is... no one wants to be like that line. They all have the mindset that we're just a *beep* high school line, there is no way we can become that good. They all think I'm insane for practicing my ass off to march corps. The only other person who really got what corps was about graduated last year :/ My band kind of hates DCI... My director thinks it's a place children go to be abused for a summer, and I've heard our drum major telling stories of how much hazing and *beep* goes on. He's never marched of course, and neither has our director, but people still listen to them.

Hard to get basics down when you have a show to play in 2 weeks and haven't started music :/ We usually have a football game the first week of school, which means 2 weeks to teach technique, marching technique, drill, and music... all while practicing for about 6 hours a day. Not NEARLY enough time.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

petrolika Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:18 am

You're a bit stuffed then. If you can't get people motivated then you don't really have a chance, and thats's just *beep* ignorant from your director and major. I admire you for working your are off to make corps in an environment like that 8)
Lol 2 weeks is a short amount of time, but my line practice 2 hours a week for shows pretty much every week. You can do it, it's just unbeleivably difficult (also we don't do drill like you guys, we're more Pipe Band-orientated).
Les femmes françaises ne sont pas poilu, ils ont juste beaucoup d'ombre autour de leurs aisselles, qui donne aux gens la perception de la pilosité français.

SagePercussion Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:21 pm

I feel the same way you do man... we couldn't even march this year and the football games we did do... sounded really bad compared to last year, and our line sounded close to the same or worse. I find it impossible to motivate anyone in my High school to practice and practice and show up to rehersal... And honestly its dissapointing and there is nothing you can do about it without an instructors help.

I decided to march for A nearby high school for their drum line, which I Happily got snare! :) so... I'm not saying you should quit on your High School and band but All I can say is... TRY TO GET PEOPLE TO PRACTICE LIKE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"You know, I just want to add a little somethin' somethin' on the end."

jbohan6 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:10 am

I've been in your place, not as a captain, but as member of the bassline, trying to get my bass 5 to actually care about being apart of the drumline. He's actually my bestfriend. But as long as i've known him, which is about 8 years or so, he can never stick with something. he's just a quitter for the most part. Grades, Music, Drumming, Fishing, you name it, he would give up quickly if he wasn't automatically a pro. Before this season, our drumline had never lost a competition ( not gotten high percussion) for about 3 years. all the members on the line who had made that happen had all graduated, minus about 3 people. We kept it going for 2 competitions, then at one, where we all felt we had had a perfect show, we didn't get high percussion. We didn't even place. It was like being slapped in the face by a brick. We cried in front of our tech. It took losing a winning streak of 3 years to some little nobody school for him to start to care and give his all at every competition.

Not really sure if that helps at all, but i would recommend not doing it the way i did: by yelling at him constantly, and almost losing our friendship. I might be over-driven, and try harder than everyone else, but that's just an outcome of how much i care for our line. A good idea might be to show them videos (or even in person) another local high school drumline that is together, knows there beats, and is serious about everything they do. That's what put me in my place 8th grade year.

And I just realized your season is probably over. dang. But good luck man.
"Binaries on the Tymp-Toms gettin' kinda' cloudy."

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:48 pm

Thing is, we don't even have that drive. We got last place in percussion. We haven't been a good line since 2007, when we had our old band director, and the last class who remembered that year graduated in 2011. No one knows what it's like to be good, so they think it's impossible. I remember at our first competition hearing a bassline playing some decent 16th note runs, and the rest of my line being amazed at it, while I was just thinking "cool, those sound decent". Hell, before I did DCI, I don't think I'd seen 24th or 32nd note runs. I remember getting the music and thinking "*beep*, I can't play this".
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

bryonmcshea Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:31 am

If they think that world class DCI lines are a world away, show them some sick high school lines. But not too sick, just like moderatley good.

snarwhal007 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:43 pm

Show them my band if you can http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2fL0n0xRiY(our snare actually played all the way through cleaning, but the echo makes us sound dirty, bleh). Our band had about 30 performers marching on the field, about 2/3 of which is freshman. Our drumline is 2 sophomores and 4 freshman (im the snare closest to the tenors, im in front when we're marching off the field). As ASU's band director mentioned at the end, Mr Edgar left Gilbert High School, a 5A school with a very large and very strong band program (but not quite as good as when he taught there, in my opinion) and after a few years away from high school band, this is his first year at our high school which is in its 5th year of operation (est. 2007) and replacing an old band director (who just last year directed the band to 1st in state).

We took 11th this year in state, and we weren't even expected to go, but by some mishaps we ended up somehow going! The point being is, we're a baby band who rose to the challenges given to us. We know what Mr Edgar did for Gilbert's marching program, and we know that he can take us to state every year that we want to go. We fight against all odds and over the course of 3 competitions, earned 5 captions, and placed 3rd overall at ASU to beat out our rival sister high school, Higley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7top5z8 ... re=related, (who is just barely too small to be 2A, twice as big as our band, and has a large very talented drumline under the same direction as our drumline ironically).

We're determined to be the best we can be and will stop at no ends to achieve that goal. That's what separates good bands from great bands! you may not perform your show as well as someone else, but success is measured by effort and great bands are always successful.

Anyways, show them both of those videos, tell them who they thought did better, then when they've guessed, let them know Williams Field (who is 2/3 freshman) placed higher overall than Higley because of their determination to be great. I hope this helped :D
"Be better." -TJ Barrett

My Favorite Corps:
#1Image
#2Image
#3Image

Rubik's cube? Those are adorable childrens' toys!

ConorD Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:49 pm

There's no such thing as "just a high school line." Case in point:

The sad thing is that the attitude of 90% of high school programs is that excellence like this is completely attainable, and even fewer actually approach this level. If there's anything I've learned from my time at the highest levels of the activity, it's this two-step formula for success:

1. Decide that you are going to be the best thing anyone has ever seen.
2. Be undeniable.

You just have to make your line realize what they're capable of and the rest will take care of itself.