First Rehearsals

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth


Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]
Message
Author
aleye92 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:35 pm

First Rehearsals

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:00 pm



I feel like first rehearsals are always the ones hardest to plan. What do you guys usually do for your first rehearsal of the drumline season? Do you guys set goals for it? What are they usually?

In my situation, everyone who wanted to march in the battery have attended all the clinics so have a pretty good sense on how to play. I also have a good idea on what the line will be. What do you think I should do for the first rehearsal?


dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 479
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: First Rehearsals

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:48 pm



Watch a video, perhaps of a DCI or WGI show that contains elements of your goals for the season. Stretch. Play some of the core playing exercises (1-height, 2-height, multiple bounce). Marching basics (foot positions, body awareness, step-offs, forward and backward, crab stepping).


sxetnrdrmr Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: chasing the battery around the field

Re: First Rehearsals

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:01 pm



Here is our routine:

practice is from 1-5

1-1:30 - I go over the schedule for the season, and the drumline handbook. Lots of blah-blah, but it is hugely important

1:30-2:30 - introductions and discipline basics
2:30-2:45- first PT session - arms
2:45- 3:30 - discipline basics and fundamental motion (8-on-a-hand)
3:30-3:45 - 2nd PT session - core/abs
3:45 - 4:30- discipline basics and fundamental motion (8-on-a-hand)
4:30 - 4:45 - 3rd PT session - legs/cardio
4:45-5:00 - watch DCI and WGI vids

5:00-5:30 - parent meeting where I basically go over the schedule for them and answer questions.

WE also have breaks in and between the times wherewe watch vids and the kids get to know the noobs.

We play on saw-horses ("the boards") and everyone plays matched. We are basically all just "drummers" at these sessions...no snares, keyboardists etc...just 25 people hittin' wood and all getting the same fundamental idea of motion and discipline
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Image

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans


dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 479
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: First Rehearsals

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:35 pm



sxetnrdrmr wrote:Here is our routine:

practice is from 1-5

1-1:30 - I go over the schedule for the season, and the drumline handbook. Lots of blah-blah, but it is hugely important

1:30-2:30 - introductions and discipline basics
2:30-2:45- first PT session - arms
2:45- 3:30 - discipline basics and fundamental motion (8-on-a-hand)
3:30-3:45 - 2nd PT session - core/abs
3:45 - 4:30- discipline basics and fundamental motion (8-on-a-hand)
4:30 - 4:45 - 3rd PT session - legs/cardio
4:45-5:00 - watch DCI and WGI vids

5:00-5:30 - parent meeting where I basically go over the schedule for them and answer questions.

WE also have breaks in and between the times wherewe watch vids and the kids get to know the noobs.

We play on saw-horses ("the boards") and everyone plays matched. We are basically all just "drummers" at these sessions...no snares, keyboardists etc...just 25 people hittin' wood and all getting the same fundamental idea of motion and discipline
This is awesome. I am going to look at this again before the summer gets started.


Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1183
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: First Rehearsals

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:52 pm



I love that idea of drumming on the sawhorses... Very articulate, easy to hear if it's dirty. Whereas if you're playing on drums it's a lot harder to hear. Definitely going to borrow that. I'm thinking have a few rehearsals before summer, get people used to what they should expect. Then during drum camp spend the first day on sawhorses, then place them on drums from there.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook


Wagsdrummer92 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:53 am

Re: First Rehearsals

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:49 am



@sXe where do you teach?
CorpsVets 2010 Aux "360"
Frequency Inc. 2012 Cymbals "Unconquerable"
Pioneer 2012 Bass 4 "Irish Immigrants: The Hands that Built America"
SU Snare 2012
DSIP Cymbals 2013
Palmetto Percussion 2014 Cymbals
CV Indoor 2015 Cymbals
Alliance DBC Cymbal Instructor
Spirit of Atlanta 2016 Cymbal Instructor
Tates Creek Indoor Ensemble 2017 Cymbal Instructor


sxetnrdrmr Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: chasing the battery around the field

Re: First Rehearsals

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:28 pm



Wagsdrummer92 wrote:@sXe where do you teach?
Bishop Watterson HS in Columbus Ohio
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Image

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans


sxetnrdrmr Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: chasing the battery around the field

Re: First Rehearsals

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:39 pm



Buranri wrote:I love that idea of drumming on the sawhorses... Very articulate, easy to hear if it's dirty. Whereas if you're playing on drums it's a lot harder to hear. Definitely going to borrow that. I'm thinking have a few rehearsals before summer, get people used to what they should expect. Then during drum camp spend the first day on sawhorses, then place them on drums from there.
yeah...I started it mostly because:
a. I didn't have enough drums for everyone to be on

2. I didn't want all of the vets to clump together or give the idea that one drum is "better" than the other. I didn't want the noobs to come in and gravitate towards the corner of the room while everyone else plays last years show; it also rienforces to the vets that just because you were on snare last year doesn't mean you are guaranteed the position this year. You have to work for it again

3. it creates a "neutral" foundation to start on. I also intersperse the noobs among the vets so they have people to follow and get to know AND I imediately involve everyine in the critique...noobs are allowed to call out vets, and vets have to deal with it when they get called for slacking. It helps build and rienforce my idea of No Pretention in the line. NO ONE is automatically right or superior, and EVERYONE had eyes, ears and a brain, and even the greenest rookie can see and hear mistakes...they have every right as a member of the team to make observations

Neutrality; Comfort; Involvement...from the get go are the best ways to build team unity and trust in the group being there at the right level for everyone
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Image

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans


Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1183
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: First Rehearsals

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:50 pm



Unfortunately we aren't really going to have too many vets next year :/ 3 basses coming back, but they didn't really learn anything this year so I don't count them as vets. I'll be the only upperclassmen, so I should be able to make it a little better at least. I like the idea of teaching everyone the exercises on a neutral surface before summer, then coming to drum camp in August and seeing who actually worked on it.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook


sxetnrdrmr Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: chasing the battery around the field

Re: First Rehearsals

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:45 am



Buranri wrote:Unfortunately we aren't really going to have too many vets next year :/ 3 basses coming back, but they didn't really learn anything this year so I don't count them as vets. I'll be the only upperclassmen, so I should be able to make it a little better at least. I like the idea of teaching everyone the exercises on a neutral surface before summer, then coming to drum camp in August and seeing who actually worked on it.
- so what is your Spring practice shcedule like? Like how many sessions will you have before you loses touch with everyone? What I have found with the boards is that once the fundamentals of hand technique/group listening and timing/discipline are established, then it doesn't matter what or where you are hitting, it is always the same. You justr have to apply individual technique issues - like traditional, 4 mallet etc - and sound quality stuff to the equation.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Image

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans


Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1183
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: First Rehearsals

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:13 pm



We don't do anything in spring, usually. I'm going to try to start something, but I don't know how well it'll work with no real authority figure telling people to come.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook


Wagsdrummer92 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:53 am

Re: First Rehearsals

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:20 pm



for our first real rehersal at frequency (friday night and saturday) we set movement 1. :D
friday we worked on music. saturday morning we broke down the foot technique and did a couple hours of basics then we set the first half of mvmnt 1. came back after lunch set the rest and then put the hands with the feet
CorpsVets 2010 Aux "360"
Frequency Inc. 2012 Cymbals "Unconquerable"
Pioneer 2012 Bass 4 "Irish Immigrants: The Hands that Built America"
SU Snare 2012
DSIP Cymbals 2013
Palmetto Percussion 2014 Cymbals
CV Indoor 2015 Cymbals
Alliance DBC Cymbal Instructor
Spirit of Atlanta 2016 Cymbal Instructor
Tates Creek Indoor Ensemble 2017 Cymbal Instructor


sxetnrdrmr Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: chasing the battery around the field

Re: First Rehearsals

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:43 pm



Wagsdrummer92 wrote:for our first real rehersal at frequency (friday night and saturday) we set movement 1. :D
friday we worked on music. saturday morning we broke down the foot technique and did a couple hours of basics then we set the first half of mvmnt 1. came back after lunch set the rest and then put the hands with the feet
man I miss indoor...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Image

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans


Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum