Even stick heights?

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Blrosenberg Offline
noob
noob

Even stick heights?

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:23 pm

I'm going to be the drumline section leader next season, and as a snare player, I can safely say that our snares have looked awful. We march 5 snares and 3 quints. About half of them stay in step and no one has good stick heights. I want that to change but I have no idea how to discipline the group on stick heights, so I was just curious if any of the more experienced people on this site would know of some clever teaching method.
Thanks!

petrolika Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Even stick heights?

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:49 pm

Try and get them to practice in front of a mirror, so they can see what height everyone else is at. Use a ruler and move their hands to the desired heights, after a while they should build up muscle memory and keep a good stick height.
Les femmes françaises ne sont pas poilu, ils ont juste beaucoup d'ombre autour de leurs aisselles, qui donne aux gens la perception de la pilosité français.

cammy Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:45 am

yes petrolickas way is best

MMB 4 LIFE
if your gonna play drums you have to do it right, PLAY LOUD!!!

petrolika Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:11 am

cammy wrote:yes petrolickas way is best

MMB 4 LIFE
It's petrolika. lol :lol:
Les femmes françaises ne sont pas poilu, ils ont juste beaucoup d'ombre autour de leurs aisselles, qui donne aux gens la perception de la pilosité français.

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:07 am

I recommend your line practices as a group. It is all well and good if two or three people work dilligently on their stick heights, but it only takes one person to throw the whole thing out of whack.

The dark secret about stick heights is that its not just a visual thing... when players have different stick heights, it throws the timing off. So when you practice as a whole group, you can challenge each other, watch each other, and listen to achieve a unified sound. You will find that as the group practices and the sound quality improves, stick heights will "settle" into a level of consistency. It may not be 100% correct heights (that where the mirrors or video comes into play), but the first step is working on it together. If you want to achieve a consistent sound as a group, its absolutely vital that you practice as a group.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.