Professional Ways To Put Drums Down and On

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

aleye92 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Professional Ways To Put Drums Down and On

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:58 am

I instruct a high school drumline and we are currently in the marching band season. There is a section of the show where the drumline puts their drums down to perform a visual and then put the drums back on after they are done. I received an interesting comment from a percussion judge saying "what is a professional way the drumline can put down the drums and put them back on?" My first thought was to have everyone do it in unison, but the section where they take them off and put them on is relatively quiet and dutting would most likely ruin the mood. So what are some ways I can have the drumline take their drums on and off in a "professional way"?

ZachHarston Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re: Professional Ways To Put Drums Down and On

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:43 am

"Uniformity is the correct technique."

Just pick a way to remove them, and make sure EVERYONE does it that way.

dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:33 am

An alternative to doing it at the exact same time is to stagger it. Each drummer removes his drum after the person next to him removes theirs. If your hats get in the way of the bass drum harnesses, take the hat off (everyone use the same hand) and hold it in your hand while you take off the drum. We had to remove drums during a slow section in our show last summer. We had the line all remove their drums at the same time, right on the end of a phrase in the wind music. The biggest problem we had was the hats. We finally elected to buy the drumline berets to wear instead of shakos. The second biggest problem we had was attention to the details of how you look while taking the drums off and while moving without them. You have to be very careful not to attract attention to yourself.

aleye92 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:45 pm

dgaking wrote:An alternative to doing it at the exact same time is to stagger it. Each drummer removes his drum after the person next to him removes theirs. If your hats get in the way of the bass drum harnesses, take the hat off (everyone use the same hand) and hold it in your hand while you take off the drum. We had to remove drums during a slow section in our show last summer. We had the line all remove their drums at the same time, right on the end of a phrase in the wind music. The biggest problem we had was the hats. We finally elected to buy the drumline berets to wear instead of shakos. The second biggest problem we had was attention to the details of how you look while taking the drums off and while moving without them. You have to be very careful not to attract attention to yourself.
I was thinking of doing that but wasn't sure if it would be "professional" or not. Thanks! I'll try it out.

sir snare Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:23 pm

dgaking wrote:An alternative to doing it at the exact same time is to stagger it. Each drummer removes his drum after the person next to him removes theirs. If your hats get in the way of the bass drum harnesses, take the hat off (everyone use the same hand) and hold it in your hand while you take off the drum. We had to remove drums during a slow section in our show last summer. We had the line all remove their drums at the same time, right on the end of a phrase in the wind music. The biggest problem we had was the hats. We finally elected to buy the drumline berets to wear instead of shakos. The second biggest problem we had was attention to the details of how you look while taking the drums off and while moving without them. You have to be very careful not to attract attention to yourself.
eww berets lol
Colt Cadet Snare 2011
Mayo High School Snare 2008-2012
Lourdes Indoor Drumline Snare 2010-2012
Dojo Percussion Snare 2013
Lee clary wrote:Im 13 i honestly dont care right now its the internet.