Any DVD-es on Marching Percussion

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

TheMagnificent7 Offline
noob
noob

Any DVD-es on Marching Percussion

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:07 pm

We've already seen the topic about the books? But can anyone recommend any DVD-es that focus on "How to build Marching Percussion Section". Thx,D.

dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Any DVD-es on Marching Percussion

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:41 pm

Bill Bachman's Rudimental Beats covers snare technique and rudiments. I have not yet viewed it, but I love his tenor DVD, Reefed Beats. These DVD's combined with his books make a great foundation of resources for you. For a little more advanced resources...

Jeff Queen's Playing with Sticks covers all bases with snare technique. He explains both velocity and Moeller, how to practice and build chops, even stick tricks. Jeff is better at explaining and teaching technique than any other instructor who I have worked with.

Murray Gusseck's 2008 Santa Clara Vanguard Auditions covers snare, tenor, bass, and cymbal technique. His battery technique is very different from what I am used to. He stays extremely relaxed and uses a lot more arm, tilts the snares, and applies push-pull technique. A lot of that is new to me, which is informative but not immediately helpful. The cymbal technique section saved my tail this season. I have no marching cymbal experience, but added cymbals to my line this winter. I've had them watch the DVD a couple times while they work on the basics.

Also, if you haven't yet, check out Vic Firth's Marching Percussion 101, free online videos that cover all kinds of issues that instructors need to handle. http://www.vicfirth.com/education/percu ... rching.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nicklawls Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:21 am

While not specifically related to marching percussion, Jojo Mayer's "Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer" is an excellent DVD for really learning about how your hands work, and a lot of the things he talks about can be applied to snare, tenor and bass drumming.
bass is the place yo
Pucoats

TheMagnificent7 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Thank you Doug & Nick, this was really helpful (at least I have a good foundation to start with...).

idlewhisper Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:09 pm

Can't forget about ScoJo's DVD, well video. I haven't seen it on DVD yet. But it's a good start. Covers a lot of the basics.
2010 LEHS Instructor - Bass
2011 LEHS Perc. Tech.
2012 LEHS Perc. Instructor

How'd you get your beans above your frank?

TheMagnificent7 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:27 pm

idlewhisper wrote:Can't forget about ScoJo's DVD, well video. I haven't seen it on DVD yet. But it's a good start. Covers a lot of the basics.

Which one exactly, because I have "Lick of the week", "Blue smoke" and "Progression" already....
But I would still like to find out if someone checked out "The outdoor gig"...
Any thoughts on that?
Thx.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:12 pm

Mike McIntosh also has a great DVD out that covers some "behind the scenes" things that could also be really helpful. I forget the name of it, but he covers some visual stuff, program coordination, foot timing, interaction with the drum major. writing etc...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

jah5812 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:43 am

sxetnrdrmr wrote:Mike McIntosh also has a great DVD out that covers some "behind the scenes" things that could also be really helpful. I forget the name of it, but he covers some visual stuff, program coordination, foot timing, interaction with the drum major. writing etc...
In the Mix...it's on dynamic marching's site

idlewhisper Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:09 am

TheMagnificent7 wrote:
idlewhisper wrote:Can't forget about ScoJo's DVD, well video. I haven't seen it on DVD yet. But it's a good start. Covers a lot of the basics.

Which one exactly, because I have "Lick of the week", "Blue smoke" and "Progression" already....
But I would still like to find out if someone checked out "The outdoor gig"...
Any thoughts on that?
Thx.
That's the one. I thought it laid out a good base for any line. I used it to get things set up with my line when I first started. I'm not sure if they still sell it anywhere or not anymore. Which stinks because I can't find my copy.
2010 LEHS Instructor - Bass
2011 LEHS Perc. Tech.
2012 LEHS Perc. Instructor

How'd you get your beans above your frank?

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:14 pm

jah5812 wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:Mike McIntosh also has a great DVD out that covers some "behind the scenes" things that could also be really helpful. I forget the name of it, but he covers some visual stuff, program coordination, foot timing, interaction with the drum major. writing etc...
In the Mix...it's on dynamic marching's site

thats right...thanks man. I have to get that.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans