How to make a careless line good

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

speedos4ever Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

How to make a careless line good

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:39 pm

Alright the topic pretty much says it all. How do i make a line that doesnt care about drumming good im gonna be the drum captain of my line next year and my band isnt really known for being the best and im hoping to change that

They really have no desire to practice at home a few of them do but only for probably jus 10 - 15 mins

They all like drumming so theyll listen and pay attention during rehearsals and theyll practice then theyre jus not dedicated enough to practice on their own time

so my question is whats the most efficient way to use our rehearsal time? We have a 3 hour rehearsal on tuesdays with the whole band and a 2 to 3 hour rehearsal on thursdays which is jus drumline on our own with no instructors we also have 2 class periods one is the whole band together and the other is jus drumline n pit each class gets about 45 mins of rehearsal time in

Chris_Dakine Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:15 am

well practice does make perfect. Unless their naturalists then i dont think its possible to have a careless line sound good. If you say they practice whenever you have rehearsal time, then maybe you have to have rehearsal everyday. Idk. Something has to motivate them to practice.

AjaxHammer Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:25 pm

well i never tried this but around the forum, somebodt said they usually watch DCI to get pumped up. i think somebody said watch blue smoke. but dont tell them your trying to motivate them. oh and motivational speaking works. if you do it right.
Boston Crusaders 2011, 2012 - Snare
Jersey Surf 2010 - Snare
Surround Sound 2010 - Snare

drummerchris83 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:35 pm

You have to make it fun.

Ive been there, taught quite a few lines that mom and dad made them be in.that was like pulling teeth from a chicken(if you dont know chicken dont have teeth)
And ive taught some where thats all the kids wanted to do. And it was sooooooooooooooooooo much fun.

Learn new stuff like shake hands with beef, or EW, or better yet make something that fits them and something that they can get into.
dosent have to be music just visuals or what ever.

thats my take on it
Gulf Coast Sound Snare Line 05
Arkansas Tech Bass line 07
Arkansas Tech Snare Line 08
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia- Kappa Eta

Cadets_Is_For_Lovers Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:59 pm

if they get excited about practice try and have extra sectionals
we have that problem with the new kids untill there atleast sophmores
the extra sectionals can really help

gretch89 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:21 pm

Remember to keep your line working and motivated, it's a big waste of time if you spend 2-3 hours playing new warmups and pep band music. Since your drummers don't spend much time practicing at home, you should set-a-side a part of every rehearsal to practice on the little stuff like clean open rolls and flams. Discipline is very important, spend some time at the beginning of the season just getting your line to stand at attention, judges love a disciplined battery section. As for motivation, DCI tapes work just fine, but nothing works better than a live show. Look for DCI shows in your local area and get there early enough to watch the lot sessions. If your working with a fairly large drumline don't forget about the other sections. For example: If your a snare drummer, don't focus all your time teaching snare licks and visuals. Visuals don't take priority, but they do look pretty damn impressive. And most important, don't let them forget that your the captain; lead by example.

iWatch Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re: How to make a careless line good

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:31 am

Im in the same boat as you. Im going to be section leader of a drumline who isn't really enthused when it comes to practicing. Here is what im going to try.

Most of the people who have never been there before are going to be freshmen, and one thing I have learned is freshmen always try to imitate the upperclassmen. It is important to get your upperclassmen to display a positive attitude and a care for marching band, even if it means laps.

Convey a sort of strict attitude toward your drumline. Even if you don't know what you are doing, it is still important to get the point across that you are in control.

Work with your percussion instructor so they can get an insight of how the line is doing from someone who is actually in it.

If possible, use positive motivation, but try to stay away from verbal positive motivation. There are much more effective ways. Show them some DCI shows where the drumlines do some cool visuals and have a cool part. Even though your drumline might not get to that point, that thought of trying to be as good as what they see in DCI will stick with them.

Try to pass on your knowledge of visuals and exercises. Giving them something to practice will make them more likely to practice more often. Try to get them in the habit from that point to practice your music.

If you can, try to persuade your instructor to let the drumline contribute as a whole. Let the drumline try writing warm ups and cadences. Along with that, if someone has a visual that they think fits a certain part, give it consideration. Nothing boosts a persons interest in something like when they make a contribution.

These are a few things im going to try this season. I honestly have no clue if they will work, but i'll be sure to check back with my findings.

DonQuadxote Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:32 pm

i definently agree that watching DCI motivates. my friend showed me Spartacus and i was like... HOLY CRAP I NEED TO GO PRACTICE RIGHT NOW!

snare135 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:01 pm

I have kinda the same problem with a guy in my drumline he doesn't practice and also he has a focusing issue. During rehersals he will space out and i have have to tell him every 5 minutes to pay attention. It sucks.
Oh ya, that praticing standing at attention thing im gonna try that it might help a little.

Tenorsextets Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:20 pm

Yeah, showing your line cool stuff may motivate them a little. With me, I'm bored with the music in my line. It's too easy for me.

Triplet rolls on one drum, eighth notes, more triplet rolls...... Oooo!! the roll is split across 3 drums! ....... but no scrapes......

And that's supposed to be the big finale. Maybe give your line some cool stuff to play and they'll like practicing more.
-South Hills High School: 4 years (3 years tenor leader); 4 time Gold SCPA (3 PSA, 1 PSO); World champion WGI 2008 PSA, 2010 PSO
Pacific Crest
Tenors 2010
Tenors 2011

dcidrummer01 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:14 pm

punish them, and motivate them. Also...every time they do something that is careless make them stay one min. at attention
I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself!!!

FCHSsnare2011 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:22 pm

tell them to watch all the BanishedBeyond vids for fun. request a Banished Power Hour/Halfhour before practice
Georgia State University: Snare (2012)
Fayette County High School: (2007-2011)

Tenorsextets Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:57 pm

FCHSsnare2011 wrote:tell them to watch all the BanishedBeyond vids for fun. request a Banished Power Hour/Halfhour before practice
DUDE! That's a good idea!!
-South Hills High School: 4 years (3 years tenor leader); 4 time Gold SCPA (3 PSA, 1 PSO); World champion WGI 2008 PSA, 2010 PSO
Pacific Crest
Tenors 2010
Tenors 2011

Roaminggnome4 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:02 am

A. Make them care
B. Leave and find a line that will care
C. Use the leverage of you leaving (if they care about you) to scare them into caring
D. Leave and find a line that will care
E. Find interesting stuff for them to play. Write warmups FOR THEM to make them feel like you care about their line and giving them something interesting to play. Every once in a while, stop the nitty gritty basics and show them what cool stuff is to come.

That is just my experience with it.

Phantom08 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:57 am

AjaxHammer wrote:well i never tried this but around the forum, somebodt said they usually watch DCI to get pumped up. i think somebody said watch blue smoke. but dont tell them your trying to motivate them. oh and motivational speaking works. if you do it right.

I find watching DCI shows or lot videos a good way to get motivated to practice. every time i watch lot vids on vic firth i almost always start to practice just because i want the ability to do that. i couldnt tell you the real reason for this drive but it almost always happens.
08 Colts Bass
09 Colts snare
10' Colts Snare
11 (SCV/SCV Cadets snare)?
12 (SCV Snare)?
13 (SCV/Phantom Snare)?
14 (SCV/Phantom Snare)?
15 (Colts Snare) Age-Out

My posts do not reflect the views of the people and Corps I am associated with!

honda50r Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:34 pm

Watch the pro's like DCI and WGI, what they could be if they tried. It definently hypes me up!

JLbluefan09 Offline
snarescience addict
snarescience addict

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:36 am

FCHSsnare2011 wrote:tell them to watch all the BanishedBeyond vids for fun. request a Banished Power Hour/Halfhour before practice
Great idea! Too bad my line thinks he's a tool... :cry:
Gateway Indoor
'12 rack
'13 synth

Music City Drum Corps
'12 synth
pearltenors wrote:IM 13 OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tenorsextets Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:36 pm

JLbluefan09 wrote:
Great idea! Too bad my line thinks he's a tool... :cry:
A tool for what?
Pacific Crest
Tenors 2010
Tenors 2011

Wynder Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:45 pm

Here's the thing that I've found works best...

Attempt to create a team dynamic. Hang out with each other and get to know about the people in the line. Practice together, even if it's just the snareline or the tenorline, invite them over to your place, chill out, and keck on the pad for a while. If you have a drumline who are friends and actively hang out with each other, there's going to be more opportunity to practice and share the excitement that you all feel.

This is very difficult because of the social caste system in high school, but the best lines I've played in and have had friends march in were like this.
'91-'94 Jersey Surf Drumline
'95 Westshoremen Snareline
'06, '10 Westshoremen Alumni Corps
'09 Talon Drumline (Philadelphia Eagles)
National Judges Association (TOB/TIA Since '09)
'10 Imperial Sound Drum Corps, Percussion Arranger/Caption Head

Tenorsextets Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:55 pm

Wynder wrote:Here's the thing that I've found works best...

Attempt to create a team dynamic. Hang out with each other and get to know about the people in the line. Practice together, even if it's just the snareline or the tenorline, invite them over to your place, chill out, and keck on the pad for a while. If you have a drumline who are friends and actively hang out with each other, there's going to be more opportunity to practice and share the excitement that you all feel.

This is very difficult because of the social caste system in high school, but the best lines I've played in and have had friends march in were like this.
That's why Claremont was so amazing in 2008. If you haven't seen Claremont High School in 2008, WATCH IT. It will blow your mind. And they're that good because of what Wynder wrote above me.
Pacific Crest
Tenors 2010
Tenors 2011