recruiting front ensemble members

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]
southerndrumguy Offline
noob
noob

recruiting front ensemble members

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:08 pm

I am in a situation where we new schools have taken many of our players. We were forced to suffer a few years with small classes moving up. I believe that even though our band has marched and played well, our size, and show selection, has hurt us this year. We came in eighth in a contest last night that we got third in last year. With a strong eighth grade class, I am looking forward to a great year and want to do everything possible to rebound from this. Does anyone have any suggestions concerning front ensemble recruiting at the high school level?

defineyourinnerbeats Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:20 am

we have been in the same situation in our school, fortunately we had an outstanding group of kids step in and turn our pit out. unfortunatley the eigth grade you are talking about class will view being put in the pit as "not good enough for the battery" this could lower the students morale if not enlightened on the fact that the pit is just as important as the battery in any percussion section, battery and pit go hand in hand, the kids must realize this.
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say... I used everything you gave me." -Unknown

snare/tenors -9yrs.

tk_TemPoRarY Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:04 pm

I was in the pit my freshman year, and I'm now on tenors for my sophomore year.
I would never say that being on the line is better than being in the pit.
first of all, pit music is more melodic and interesting, while battery music can be a little bit monotonic. pit is some fun stuff, and you can be really creative in it.
My first thoughts at band camp last year was "why am I stuck in pit instead of being on the line?" but then, as I played for pit throughout the year, I really found the pieces challenging and fun to play. Yeah, when kids come up from middle school, they think the line is everything and pit is for kids who didn't make it. our school has an 8th chair percussionist for VA all-state band, and I'm sure he can outplay a good amount of people on the line. he stays with the pit though because he just likes it more than the line.
Long story short, I think as people do get assigned to the pit, they are frustrated, but as the season goes on, some of them will start to like it, like I did. and tell them that being on the line isn't as hyped up as they think.

for me, I'm considering going back to the pit in my senior year to become the captain (all the people in the pit that are in my class suck. majorly) unless someone steps up as a junior.

just keep them motivated. they'll work it out in the pit.
Stone Bridge Marching Bulldogs Drumline
07-08 pit (mallets)
08-09 center tenors

Tommy Kim

caleb_pickering Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:03 pm

one thing id say, is a lot of freshman I know havn't gotten where they enjoy playing mallet music alot. If you give them some cool aux. drum, tom, part to go along with it I bet they would find it more enjoyable. and just have the folks on the line hangout with the pit and drum with them.

gretch89 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:07 pm

One thing that helps (if you have the resources) is to make a recruiting video. Show off your pit section and distinguish them from the rest of the band. This could excit a lot of kids. 8)

brsnare308 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:55 pm

also, if your school has a pretty descent orchestra, recruit some of them. our pit is mostly orchestra kids cuz most of them know how to play piano first so its not that bad teaching them how to play mallets

Velro Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:20 pm

If they think that pit is stupid it should motivate them to practice harder so they can make the line next season, but if they do badly in pit they are going to stay in pit, unless you have cuts. So the motivation to be in the line to a new marching band member in the pit should get them to work hard now and be even better when they make the line next season. Competition between individuals to get parts is what really drives a line to success I think.
Perkiomen Valley High School

Obaterista93 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:22 pm

the way i gained interest in pit, and battery was to be shown a good pit or battery. Something to make them say "wow i wanna do that".

i have so much respect for keyboard players because they do something i cant do at all
WAHS Front Ensemble 2007
WAHS Snareline 2008
WAHS Snareline 2009
Hawthorne Cabelleros Front Ensemble 2009
Hawthorne Cabelleros Snareline 2010
ಠ_ಠ

cantbeatadrummer Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:02 pm

yeah thats true. we usually tour around my city to the Jr. highs to "recruit" kids in band and convince them that any section of percussion is just as important as another
-Orren(Oreo)

Obaterista93 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:01 pm

cantbeatadrummer wrote:yeah thats true. we usually tour around my city to the Jr. highs to "recruit" kids in band and convince them that any section of percussion is just as important as another

yeah we did that too. We had our high school band go to the middle schools and perform our marching show, then perform a couple easy songs with the younger kids just to get them hyped up a lil bit. We kinda did some recruiting then
WAHS Front Ensemble 2007
WAHS Snareline 2008
WAHS Snareline 2009
ಠ_ಠ

yoshikinto Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:37 pm

Obaterista93 wrote:
cantbeatadrummer wrote:yeah thats true. we usually tour around my city to the Jr. highs to "recruit" kids in band and convince them that any section of percussion is just as important as another

yeah we did that too. We had our high school band go to the middle schools and perform our marching show, then perform a couple easy songs with the younger kids just to get them hyped up a lil bit. We kinda did some recruiting then
We play with the middle schoolers every year and their reaction tends to be "they're way better than us... I'm not joining band". Even though they could catch up to almost any kid in the line in like a week, probably less. My school sucks. And we have no pit.

Obaterista93 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:40 pm

well we arent trying to get that mentality into them, were just showing them that the kids they are seeing are only a couple years older then them. That if they put in the work they can be part of something truely awesome
WAHS Front Ensemble 2007
WAHS Snareline 2008
WAHS Snareline 2009
ಠ_ಠ

yoshikinto Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:44 pm

Obaterista93 wrote:well we arent trying to get that mentality into them, were just showing them that the kids they are seeing are only a couple years older then them. That if they put in the work they can be part of something truely awesome
Yeah that's what our intentions are as well. It just doesn't work out. I think the underlying factor is that band isn't big in my area (big in my area hah) anymore. The kids just don't care about getting better.

Obaterista93 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:47 pm

yoshikinto wrote:
Obaterista93 wrote:well we arent trying to get that mentality into them, were just showing them that the kids they are seeing are only a couple years older then them. That if they put in the work they can be part of something truely awesome
Yeah that's what our intentions are as well. It just doesn't work out. I think the underlying factor is that band isn't big in my area (big in my area hah) anymore. The kids just don't care about getting better.

Mehhh same here. We usually only have a 9 person battery, and a 12 person front ensemble, which is pretty small for a competitive band. The kids in percussion are like die hard about it though. It is basically their life
WAHS Front Ensemble 2007
WAHS Snareline 2008
WAHS Snareline 2009
ಠ_ಠ

germmeetsworld Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Re: recruiting front ensemble members

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:56 pm

Show them MCM's pit or X's xylophone player
_________
and like that, it's gone...
rudlka89 wrote:The ones who are good enough will find a way. The ones who aren't will find excuses.
Kings HS 2009 - 2011
Tates Creek Indoor - Bass 3 - 2012
Rhythm X - Bass 3 - 2013
Rhythm X - Rack City - 2014

PanasonicYouth Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: recruiting front ensemble members

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:55 pm

AHHHHHHHHHH! GRAVE DIGGER!

(ah, whatever. not that big a deal.)

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]