Pit Crew Problems

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

gretch89 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Pit Crew Problems

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:47 pm

For years the pit crew at our school has been the slacker section of the band. They either play some sport that prevents them from practicing or they're lazy. For the last year I've been trying to fix this little problem with little success.

Now we have a drum feature that heavily depends on the pit crews participation. Most of the pit crew has been working hard except our mallet players. They keep putting the music off and now we need to have this done in a few weeks. What can I do to motivate these guys to work harder.
Last edited by gretch89 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doublebassheeltoe Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:52 pm

Threaten to kick them out. Then if they don't believe you, kick them out.

There is no need for dead weight on the field. After all, it costs the average high school marching band(not participating in BOA) about a thousand dollars per member to operate a local and state competitive schedule.
There's no way around reality, and there's no way to fix things that have already happened. It is what it is, we are what we are, and there is nothing more to life than that. Rule #9.

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:20 pm

Also, extra practices specifically for them. use the word mandatory, combining Chris's idea.
CorpsVets 08' - Pit
Memphis Sound 09' - Snare
University of North Alabama 09' 10' - Snare
University of North Alabama - 11' 13'- Quads
Gateway Indoor 11' - Quads

pr0k Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:37 pm

our pit is the hardest working section on the field, a few people in our pit knew the whole show before they even knew which instrument they played for this season
we actually have a pretty good pit

nasti Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:23 pm

I have a question is the mallet players in your pit there because they did not make the battery?

gretch89 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:03 pm

nasti wrote:I have a question is the mallet players in your pit there because they did not make the battery?
All but one of my mallet players auditioned for mallet, but he's a veteran who choose to play in the pit; he got bored with the battery section. I just got our lead mallet player to start showing up and hopefully the rest will follow. But it's obvious that they havn't worked on this thing at all.

nasti Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:34 am

Wow that really weird then.

doublebassheeltoe Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:55 am

We have two or three people in our pit who don't even know half the show yet(and tomorrow is our fourth show). Thankfully, we have sixteen pit, so we can cover up those missed parts, but I'm pretty sure they're not going to be allowed back in next year.
There's no way around reality, and there's no way to fix things that have already happened. It is what it is, we are what we are, and there is nothing more to life than that. Rule #9.

tk_TemPoRarY Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:51 pm

People think pit is somewhere they go because they couldn't make the line. It's like that in my high school. They don't know that pit music is EXTREMELY hard, especially when you get four mallet stuff or xylo parts. In my point, pit music is harder than battery music. Marching is a different thing, though.

You don't need like 15 people in the pit. Most will be playing unnecessary accessory parts anyways. If they don't try, and you know that they will get points deducted, then why even bother having them in the band? Tell them to get their acts straight or kick them out.
Stone Bridge Marching Bulldogs Drumline
07-08 pit (mallets)
08-09 center tenors

Tommy Kim

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:17 pm

tk_TemPoRarY wrote:People think pit is somewhere they go because they couldn't make the line. It's like that in my high school. They don't know that pit music is EXTREMELY hard, especially when you get four mallet stuff or xylo parts. In my point, pit music is harder than battery music. Marching is a different thing, though.
I think the point you should be making is that pit music CAN be harder than battery music, just like battery music can be the hardest thing ever. Anything's possible, but the name of the game is how it communicates musically. I'd say they're equal in most aspects of general marching percussion, but it's not about making it harder or easier, now is it?
CorpsVets 08' - Pit
Memphis Sound 09' - Snare
University of North Alabama 09' 10' - Snare
University of North Alabama - 11' 13'- Quads
Gateway Indoor 11' - Quads

tk_TemPoRarY Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:33 pm

PhantomPhan89 wrote:
tk_TemPoRarY wrote:People think pit is somewhere they go because they couldn't make the line. It's like that in my high school. They don't know that pit music is EXTREMELY hard, especially when you get four mallet stuff or xylo parts. In my point, pit music is harder than battery music. Marching is a different thing, though.
I think the point you should be making is that pit music CAN be harder than battery music, just like battery music can be the hardest thing ever. Anything's possible, but the name of the game is how it communicates musically. I'd say they're equal in most aspects of general marching percussion, but it's not about making it harder or easier, now is it?
yeah I get you.
but I think in general, pit has more time to work on music because they don't have to worry about marching. but that's just my experience in high school marching band.
Stone Bridge Marching Bulldogs Drumline
07-08 pit (mallets)
08-09 center tenors

Tommy Kim

Alan94 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:15 pm

tk_TemPoRarY wrote:
PhantomPhan89 wrote:
yeah I get you.
but I think in general, pit has more time to work on music because they don't have to worry about marching. but that's just my experience in high school marching band.
pit sometimes has to worry about marching, for parade if they do it and in our drumline winter show, the pit marches for the last 30 seconds.
"the ad opens with a dwindling
but go ahead with the referendum"
-The beat box dog

pr0k Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:07 pm

pr0k wrote:our pit is the hardest working section on the field, a few people in our pit knew the whole show before they even knew which instrument they played for this season
we actually have a pretty good pit
our pit is now the polar opposite of this statement

germmeetsworld Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Re: Pit Crew Problems

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:43 pm

don't made this a pit vs. battery kind of thread. I think you've got your advice already, kick em out if they don't listen to you
_________
and like that, it's gone...
rudlka89 wrote:The ones who are good enough will find a way. The ones who aren't will find excuses.
Kings HS 2009 - 2011
Tates Creek Indoor - Bass 3 - 2012
Rhythm X - Bass 3 - 2013
Rhythm X - Rack City - 2014

teh_Guardian Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re: Pit Crew Problems

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:35 pm

Danica Patrick has the best Pit Crew.
Here we are, talking band!