How do YOU teach?

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

ghostsnare101 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

How do YOU teach?

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:30 pm

I'm curious about how some of the other people here teach. I teach in a fun way. There is discipline when there needs to be and there is having fun when there needs to be. Basically I have a line between them because if you too hard on the kids they won't have fun and they won't want to do it. If your too social with them then all they want to do is talk and not listen to what you have to say. Basically all my kids respect me but do not fear me which I think is a good thing. They come to me with their problems when they need advice and that's the best part about being a teacher I think because your involved in the learning in a kids life. After all isn't that what this activity is about? (I feel like there is another thread on this but I looked and didn't find it)
Columbia City High School

2006 - Confinment - Baritone
2007 - Through and Through - Bass drum one
2008 - The Hunt - Baritone
2009 - Fusion - Snare
2010 - Heritage Independent Percussion - Bass Drum 3

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: How do YOU teach?

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:41 pm

Personally, I like a teacher who is both. They're social during water breaks (and provide an adequate amount of them, not one every 3 hours in a stifling hot room) but make a clear distinction between how you act during a water break and during rehearsal.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:05 pm

My style never seems to stay the same. About all I do is try to keep the students as enthusiastic as possible. Just bring a whole lot of energy and hope some of it rubs off. How I do it though varies from season to season, and actually from student to student. I think that trust and respect are big parts of it though... which I think is part of what you mean by them coming to you with their problems. They trust you enough to confide in you.

I think much of being a great teacher has nothing to do with being an awesome drummer. Let's face it, if you are working at a high school level, then its not like you need a whole lot of chops to stay ahead of most of the kids. So great chops is not really necessary... just being a good listener and a responsible person that they can count on and whose judgement they can respect.

FYI, I teach a high school pep band, so its not like they are motivated by competition. Many of them are like "meh" about it. If I ever figure out something that works for every kid, all of the time, then I won't post it... I'll just tell y'all to BUY MY BOOK!
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

ghostsnare101 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:25 pm

schorsquatch wrote:My style never seems to stay the same. About all I do is try to keep the students as enthusiastic as possible. Just bring a whole lot of energy and hope some of it rubs off. How I do it though varies from season to season, and actually from student to student. I think that trust and respect are big parts of it though... which I think is part of what you mean by them coming to you with their problems. They trust you enough to confide in you.

I think much of being a great teacher has nothing to do with being an awesome drummer. Let's face it, if you are working at a high school level, then its not like you need a whole lot of chops to stay ahead of most of the kids. So great chops is not really necessary... just being a good listener and a responsible person that they can count on and whose judgement they can respect.

FYI, I teach a high school pep band, so its not like they are motivated by competition. Many of them are like "meh" about it. If I ever figure out something that works for every kid, all of the time, then I won't post it... I'll just tell y'all to BUY MY BOOK!
Lol I would most definatly buy that book. My only downfall is if I'm joking around with a kid and I end up offending them but not meaning to. I can never really find a way around it because I'm just a kind of a guy that jokes around with the kids from time to time. I don't ever mean to offend anybody but occasionally it happens. Personally though I think the kids that get offended by me calling them a creeper for example are just being too sensitive. This happened to me just the other day. It was our first day of rehearsal for parades and so the freshman needed to get to know the upperclassmen so we were having a pow wow circle just going around the circle and getting to know each other. Well this one pit kid who is going to be playing guitar for us this season just sat like 5 feet away and didn't come into the circle so I waved him over and was like hey come over here. I don't want you over there beinging a creeper while we are over here getting to know everyone you need to be included. So he just came over and didn't act like it was a big deal. I just found out today that he had a problem with what I said and was offended. I mean none of my other kids would be offended by that. All I can do is appologize. In my opinion though I think he was just being too sensitive.

2009 - Fusion - Snare

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:55 pm

Well, I don't know your kids, but it sounds to me like someone who is shy and puts on the whole "I'm too cool for this" to cover it up. You inviting them in probably felt like a call-out to them, and that light-hearted ribbing may have been interpreted as teasing. I had one of those kids in particular that I could never connect with, and it was maddening. If that student is still young... and it sounds like they are... then all you can do is apologize to them and explain your intent. Maybe they will get it, maybe they won't.

It also helps to be up on their lingo. I've heard "creeper" used more as a reference to a predator, so there may have been some serious interp issues there. I prefer to invent my own lingo... its a litmus test to see who's on-board. When you hear them using your lingo, rather than their own, you know you've got them.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

ghostsnare101 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:36 pm

schorsquatch wrote:Well, I don't know your kids, but it sounds to me like someone who is shy and puts on the whole "I'm too cool for this" to cover it up. You inviting them in probably felt like a call-out to them, and that light-hearted ribbing may have been interpreted as teasing. I had one of those kids in particular that I could never connect with, and it was maddening. If that student is still young... and it sounds like they are... then all you can do is apologize to them and explain your intent. Maybe they will get it, maybe they won't.

It also helps to be up on their lingo. I've heard "creeper" used more as a reference to a predator, so there may have been some serious interp issues there. I prefer to invent my own lingo... its a litmus test to see who's on-board. When you hear them using your lingo, rather than their own, you know you've got them.
That sounds about right. Thanks for the imput.

2009 - Fusion - Snare

PogoPantheon Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:02 pm

enthusiasm where it is needed, seriousness in rehearsal. i try to set an example and teach how to teach by teaching so to speak. i want them to go into a room with 2 other players and lead a sectional, and be able to say "okay, we're not going to run this chunk until we get it clean, we're going to break it down, play the broken down chunks over and over until they're clean, put them together slowly, play those over and over, maybe take a break, have some fun, lock back into rehearsing, running the transitions a few more times, putting the exercise or excerpt back together completely, and slowly speeding it up, taking a break, coming back, playing the exercise again, until we get it to the appropriate tempo, maybe nitpick some technique things on the other two kids, like heights and such (also another thing important to teach,) then just repping it over and over and over again." i don't think you should play around too much as an instructor while rehearsing, because the kids will think they can screw around all the time, and that will result in mediocre rehearsals and performances. And then, you shouldn't be angry or aggressive in instructing either, because then kids will hate you all the time. granted, if you have to spoon feed the kids music they've had for weeks, that's BS and it shouldn't be tolerated, but you still should handle situations like that in the right way. Have specified section leaders that are committed to influencing other kids to be good.

just note that i am basing my opinion simply on my ideal instructor and how i would instruct. i am currently the drumline captain and snare captain at my school and i'm learning from our instructor a lot about teaching methods and such, as well as practicing these tips and techniques in snare sectionals and what have. so i'm not a veteran instructor or anything, just my 2 cents :P
i have marched in HS and Div. 2 DCI.
my opinions and comments are mine and mine alone, and in no way reflect the beliefs, teachings, or opinions of any group i am associated with.
sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS wrote:when your about to go insane take the time to stop and appreciate how nice the color guard girls butt looks while shes wearing virtually nothing. give yourself a highfive then go back to being awesome at band.

LaKings2012 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:19 am

don't be an ***hole. It's the only way to make sure that people have a good time. When people are happy, they play well, so if you have a good attitude about everything, and don't try to motivate people by demeaning them or talking down to them, you will see more success. That's what I have experienced when I have taught a small bit, and when I have been taught. Kids like a guy who is fun, and jokes around a lot, but they also need to know when to turn it on. For a rep. Showing them that you can have a good laugh, but you want the music to be good will get you respect. One of the things my instructors have done would be like to crack jokes, and then start a rep, and even though everyone is still laughing, they expect a perfect attack, and when it's not there, they cut the rep. It's all about conditioning. If your line knows that they can have a good time and joke around, but that when you start playing, it's time to turn it on, you will have a good drumline.
Roaminggnome4 wrote:Ducktape, baseball bat, metronome.

Ducktape him to a wall, hit him
tommyservo7 wrote: Everyone deserves to have fun. Clean or not.

ZachHarston Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:00 pm

I'm a reasonably fair instructor. I'm very clear with my expectations from the start, and as long as those expectations continue to be met, the rehearsal environment is relaxed and efficient. If at any point the ensemble begins to lose a sense of discipline, or fails to come prepared, they know that they are in for a tough, silent rehearsal setting until the expectations are met again. I have no problems sharing anecdotes or joking around, as long as the focus is there when it matters. As a result, I keep a somewhat-personal relationship with my students. They are never afraid to come to me with problems/concerns, but at the same time, they are aware of the consequences for failing to meet the standard. A solid set of rewards/consequences do great, but the key is consistency. Hold your students accountable, all rehearsal, every rehearsal.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:07 pm

I would say I am efficient, electric, understanding, disciplined, thorough; demanding; pro-active; all underneath a laid back attitude. I run a program built on a foundation of solid discipline...then everything else falls where it should because my kids have "grown-up" on the discipline side of things. In the past 20 years, I can only think of 5 or 6 rehearsals that ended negatively...and then the next day everyone bounced back because they realized that their lack of discipline was the reason for the bad day.

To be clear, discipline does not mean "stand still and shut up". That is one of the pieces. Discipline in our line also entails showing up on time, taking lessons, practicing and keeping up at home, keeping your area clean, always having your dots, uniform parts etc, being respectful of yourself, your teammates, the program, the history/legacy that the Alums have left etc...

I always say: My job is to react to what you are giving me. If you are giving me crap, you will get a crappy reaction. If you are giving me "h ell-yeah", than you will get "h ell yeah" back. It is almost always "h ell yeah"

In my area, there are other lines who will come watch us rehearse..just to show there kids what it is like when everyone is doing their job and being disciplined.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

MHSxDrumline Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Im the section leader at my school, and Im center snare.. But we dont have a percussion director.. I tend to get frustrated easily when we cant get all of our parts right.. but I dont get angry because of the people, but because I am in High School, and I shouldnt have to be the one teaching.. My Band Director doesnt even really pay attention to the drumline.. where would I be able to find a Percussion Director? I mean, I dont know where to look!
"Practice doesn't make perfect.. Perfect Practice makes perfect" -My old Drum Instructor
"Drums aren't an instrument.. they are simply an excuse for being awesome" -Me
"SQUIRREL" -Bluecoats 2011
"Like a boss.. dut dut dut.. Girl, get yo mouth away from my *buzzroll*" -Bluecoats 2010

'10 4th Bass
'11 Center Snare
'12 Center Snare- Section Leader

billc36 Offline

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:41 am

Ummmm....your local colleges, your local drum corps if there is one.

We don't know where you are so that's a difficult question to help with.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

NGPercussion Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:32 pm

I teach to the kids. I'm new to the teaching world, but have been told I've been doing great and that my students have improved drastically by their parents/supports/directors. I can have fun, but all within working hard and getting the information across. A fine balance of both is what you need, in my opinion.
Percussioning since 2003.