Illegal Trading

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus


Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 7 of 7 [ 163 posts ]
Message
Author
awakentosleep Offline
ROAF
ROAF
User avatar
Posts: 2074
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:01 pm
Location: philly ish

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:28 pm



Tenorsarefun wrote:
awakentosleep wrote:
Tenorsarefun wrote:

I disagree with you, specifically regarding the money aspect. There are people who get paid to write the books & exercises for the battery. They get paid to write, not to sell what they write. If they choose to sell that music for $ after writing it, then by all means that's their choice. But in my mind, selling their work isn't how they're initially making money..They're making money by being apart of a world class staff, and writing the music. Selling the work is a way to make extra $...So if the argument turns into composers being angry with people transcribing their work because it hinders their ability to make a decent living, then maybe they shouldn't be writing music after all (or at least have a side or back up means to making $)...Agree?
How much money do you think DCI percussion arrangers make? Cause let me tell you, it ain't that much... They pretty much all have to make money in other ways in addition to writing for the corps.
that's exactly my point. I bet even the big guys like Scojo, Murray, Lee Beddis, all have to find means other than writing to make a decent living...
Some do, some don't. A lot of those guys' entire livelihood is based on people shelling out a few bucks for their licks. If you transcribe it and post it on a public forum for people to get for free, you are basically stealing money out of their pockets. On the other hand, you'll find that some arrangers are totally cool with people transcribing their licks. That's the point of the list Ryan Wold put together of where a lot of the arrangers stand on transcriptions. Whether you agree or not isn't the point. You have to respect their wishes; after all, it is THEIR intellectual property.


Tenorsarefun Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:31 pm



awakentosleep wrote:
Tenorsarefun wrote:
awakentosleep wrote:
How much money do you think DCI percussion arrangers make? Cause let me tell you, it ain't that much... They pretty much all have to make money in other ways in addition to writing for the corps.
that's exactly my point. I bet even the big guys like Scojo, Murray, Lee Beddis, all have to find means other than writing to make a decent living...
Some do, some don't. A lot of those guys' entire livelihood is based on people shelling out a few bucks for their licks. If you transcribe it and post it on a public forum for people to get for free, you are basically stealing money out of their pockets. On the other hand, you'll find that some arrangers are totally cool with people transcribing their licks. That's the point of the list Ryan Wold put together of where a lot of the arrangers stand on transcriptions. Whether you agree or not isn't the point. You have to respect their wishes; after all, it is THEIR intellectual property.

I understand the issue at hand. There's nothing further to discuss regarding this.
Rangeview HS:
Bass 2 (06-07)
Tenors (07-10)
Drum Captian/ Section Leader (08-10)
RMPA I&E 1st Place (tied) Tenor solo (2010)

http://www.youtube.com/Tenorsarefun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/DanSomervilleDrums" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Tenorsarefun Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:01 pm



tommyservo7 wrote:
Tenorsarefun wrote:
AWA wrote:Tenorsarefun, you're misrepresenting the problem. You seem to think that the issue is completely monetary; while this is an underlying cause, it isn't the entire argument. More at stake here is the concept of intellectual property, and the respective value of intellectual property versus the educational potential of acquiring music (which would be otherwise unavailable).

Once and for all, I reiterate: No one is questioning that music that can be bought should not be traded illegally. However, the music which can't be bought, in my eyes, is fair game.
That's funny Glenn Dawson. If I recall correctly, YOU're the one who transcribed the majority of the Rhythm X 2009 Tenor book I learned & posted videos of on my youtube channel...I wouldn't expect you to be the type of person to care about this "issue" at all, considering you obviously partake in it...
Only funny because you obviously didn't read his post. The Rhythm X 2009 book is not for sale, so he finds it morally acceptable to transcribe it, as do I.

Also, those instructors you named make their living at least partially by selling their works. They wrote it. Its theirs. Is there more to be discussed?
Okay hypocrite. If you're going to get into details regarding what makes it morally acceptable to transcribe music, then you better include EVERYTHING. You can't possibly be okay with Rhythm X book being transcribed just because it isn't for sale...That is unless you've personally received permission from Tim Jackson or Tim Fairbanks (which I doubt you have).

Oh, and last time I checked, neither of them were on this "official" list of arrangers:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So if you're going to pull that card, this website as a whole might as well be shut down for all the "illegal" activity that's taken place.
Rangeview HS:
Bass 2 (06-07)
Tenors (07-10)
Drum Captian/ Section Leader (08-10)
RMPA I&E 1st Place (tied) Tenor solo (2010)

http://www.youtube.com/Tenorsarefun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/DanSomervilleDrums" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


AWA Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
User avatar
Posts: 3939
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:35 pm
Location: West Deptford, New Jersey, The United States of America, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:20 pm



Tenorsarefun wrote:
tommyservo7 wrote:
Tenorsarefun wrote:
That's funny Glenn Dawson. If I recall correctly, YOU're the one who transcribed the majority of the Rhythm X 2009 Tenor book I learned & posted videos of on my youtube channel...I wouldn't expect you to be the type of person to care about this "issue" at all, considering you obviously partake in it...
Only funny because you obviously didn't read his post. The Rhythm X 2009 book is not for sale, so he finds it morally acceptable to transcribe it, as do I.

Also, those instructors you named make their living at least partially by selling their works. They wrote it. Its theirs. Is there more to be discussed?
Okay hypocrite. If you're going to get into details regarding what makes it morally acceptable to transcribe music, then you better include EVERYTHING. You can't possibly be okay with Rhythm X book being transcribed just because it isn't for sale...That is unless you've personally received permission from Tim Jackson or Tim Fairbanks (which I doubt you have).

Oh, and last time I checked, neither of them were on this "official" list of arrangers:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So if you're going to pull that card, this website as a whole might as well be shut down for all the "illegal" activity that's taken place.
If YOU'RE going to pull "that card", then understand that in a court of law, it could be argued that the composers had the opportunity to deny permission but didn't, granting implied consent.

Quite frankly, it's your attitude more than your argument that irritates me. I'd be perfectly willing to have a mature discussion; unfortunately, that appears out of the question.
2007 - 2010: West Deptford High School (07-08 FE, 09-10 quads)
2013: Spirit of Atlanta (Marimba)
2014: Bluecoats (Vibraphone)

-Glenn Dawson

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."


Tenorsarefun Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:03 pm



AWA wrote:
Tenorsarefun wrote:
tommyservo7 wrote:
Only funny because you obviously didn't read his post. The Rhythm X 2009 book is not for sale, so he finds it morally acceptable to transcribe it, as do I.

Also, those instructors you named make their living at least partially by selling their works. They wrote it. Its theirs. Is there more to be discussed?
Okay hypocrite. If you're going to get into details regarding what makes it morally acceptable to transcribe music, then you better include EVERYTHING. You can't possibly be okay with Rhythm X book being transcribed just because it isn't for sale...That is unless you've personally received permission from Tim Jackson or Tim Fairbanks (which I doubt you have).

Oh, and last time I checked, neither of them were on this "official" list of arrangers:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So if you're going to pull that card, this website as a whole might as well be shut down for all the "illegal" activity that's taken place.
If YOU'RE going to pull "that card", then understand that in a court of law, it could be argued that the composers had the opportunity to deny permission but didn't, granting implied consent.

Quite frankly, it's your attitude more than your argument that irritates me. I'd be perfectly willing to have a mature discussion; unfortunately, that appears out of the question.
I'm all for mature discussions Glenn. Here's one for you: What's the point of even having an "official list" if you're going to do when someone isn't on that list is pull "implied consent" out of your ass? That's like a win win in your case....I guess I'll stop arguing with a moderator though. After all I am a noob on here. My points must be wrong all biased opinions aside.
Rangeview HS:
Bass 2 (06-07)
Tenors (07-10)
Drum Captian/ Section Leader (08-10)
RMPA I&E 1st Place (tied) Tenor solo (2010)

http://www.youtube.com/Tenorsarefun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/DanSomervilleDrums" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


tdubasdfg Offline
ROAF
ROAF
User avatar
Posts: 1994
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:04 pm
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:31 pm



Tenorsarefun wrote:
AWA wrote:
Tenorsarefun wrote:
Okay hypocrite. If you're going to get into details regarding what makes it morally acceptable to transcribe music, then you better include EVERYTHING. You can't possibly be okay with Rhythm X book being transcribed just because it isn't for sale...That is unless you've personally received permission from Tim Jackson or Tim Fairbanks (which I doubt you have).

Oh, and last time I checked, neither of them were on this "official" list of arrangers:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So if you're going to pull that card, this website as a whole might as well be shut down for all the "illegal" activity that's taken place.
If YOU'RE going to pull "that card", then understand that in a court of law, it could be argued that the composers had the opportunity to deny permission but didn't, granting implied consent.

Quite frankly, it's your attitude more than your argument that irritates me. I'd be perfectly willing to have a mature discussion; unfortunately, that appears out of the question.
I'm all for mature discussions Glenn. Here's one for you: What's the point of even having an "official list" if you're going to do when someone isn't on that list is pull "implied consent" out of your *beep*? That's like a win win in your case....I guess I'll stop arguing with a moderator though. After all I am a noob on here. My points must be wrong all biased opinions aside.
i think we should all say *beep* illegal trading unless there is a composer that comes along and specifically asks us to stop
it is so stupid to argue about this
Hi! I'm Travis :D
Image
Image


Captain_Pit Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
User avatar
Posts: 939
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:29 pm
Location: Palmdale, California

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:35 pm



I feel like any argument about illegal trading has already been discussed here. It has turned into people just arguing about their opinions.
This is a turtle:

Image


tdubasdfg Offline
ROAF
ROAF
User avatar
Posts: 1994
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:04 pm
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:47 pm



Captain_Pit wrote:I feel like any argument about illegal trading has already been discussed here. It has turned into people just arguing about their opinions.
/thread
Hi! I'm Travis :D
Image
Image


LaKings2012 Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:48 pm



Captain_Pit wrote:I feel like any argument about illegal trading has already been discussed here. It has turned into people just arguing about their opinions.
truth!
Roaminggnome4 wrote:Ducktape, baseball bat, metronome.

Ducktape him to a wall, hit him
tommyservo7 wrote: Everyone deserves to have fun. Clean or not.


awakentosleep Offline
ROAF
ROAF
User avatar
Posts: 2074
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:01 pm
Location: philly ish

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:08 pm



Tenorsarefun wrote:
AWA wrote:
Tenorsarefun wrote:
Okay hypocrite. If you're going to get into details regarding what makes it morally acceptable to transcribe music, then you better include EVERYTHING. You can't possibly be okay with Rhythm X book being transcribed just because it isn't for sale...That is unless you've personally received permission from Tim Jackson or Tim Fairbanks (which I doubt you have).

Oh, and last time I checked, neither of them were on this "official" list of arrangers:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So if you're going to pull that card, this website as a whole might as well be shut down for all the "illegal" activity that's taken place.
If YOU'RE going to pull "that card", then understand that in a court of law, it could be argued that the composers had the opportunity to deny permission but didn't, granting implied consent.

Quite frankly, it's your attitude more than your argument that irritates me. I'd be perfectly willing to have a mature discussion; unfortunately, that appears out of the question.
I'm all for mature discussions Glenn. Here's one for you: What's the point of even having an "official list" if you're going to do when someone isn't on that list is pull "implied consent" out of your *beep*? That's like a win win in your case....I guess I'll stop arguing with a moderator though. After all I am a noob on here. My points must be wrong all biased opinions aside.
You may be a "n00b," but that's no excuse to act like a tool.


snare10111 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:36 am
Location: Saginaw Tx

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:10 pm



I think there should be an official arguing thread.
SHS 2009-Xylophone/crotales-Romeo and Juliet
SHS 2010-Snare-Nosferatu: A Symphony of Terror
SHS 2011-Center Snare-Rise up!: The music from The Lord of The Rings
wturner901 wrote:So, based on what I have read, Japan is effed.

I blame the Freemasons.


Captain_Pit Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
User avatar
Posts: 939
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:29 pm
Location: Palmdale, California

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:14 pm



snare10111 wrote:I think there should be an official arguing thread.
Or the Official Flaming Thread
This is a turtle:

Image


AWA Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
User avatar
Posts: 3939
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:35 pm
Location: West Deptford, New Jersey, The United States of America, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:32 am



This thread is now over. Any future wishes at reasonable discussion will go through a moderator, who may unlock this thread at their discretion.
2007 - 2010: West Deptford High School (07-08 FE, 09-10 quads)
2013: Spirit of Atlanta (Marimba)
2014: Bluecoats (Vibraphone)

-Glenn Dawson

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."


Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 7 of 7 [ 163 posts ]





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum