Illegal Trading

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus


Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 6 of 7 [ 163 posts ]
Message
Author
hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen
User avatar
Posts: 4661
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:40 am



why? there is still a discussion going on.
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.


xmenbass Offline
noob
noob
User avatar
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:27 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:13 pm



i fully agree. i would be pissed if i were in Murray Gusseks situation. i'm all for sharing music but not from the people that get paid to write this amazing stuff.
Jenks Drumline Bass 3- 2006
Jenks Drumline Bass 1- 2007
Jenks Drumline Snare- 2008- 09
2010 Crossmen Bass 4
Image


AWA Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
User avatar
Posts: 3939
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:35 pm
Location: West Deptford, New Jersey, The United States of America, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:30 pm



For the last time, just because this is still being misrepresented, no one is questioning the morality (or legal standing) of trading readily available music. The main argument is about transcriptions of arrangements that are not available at all, and which would be used only for educational purposes.
2007 - 2010: West Deptford High School (07-08 FE, 09-10 quads)
2013: Spirit of Atlanta (Marimba)
2014: Bluecoats (Vibraphone)

-Glenn Dawson

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."


Drumtech69 Offline
noob
noob
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:33 am
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:41 am



I feel that this is not a problem if it not music that TAPSPACE has on there SPACE.....music like rcc and other places would not be found because NO ONE SALES them so people would never learn them unless they transcribe the music and there is nothing wrong with that I buy what music I see that I like thats for sale and that's only BD, SCV and CAVs you can find for sale so whats the big deal here.....can you say Chill
DMB20

http://www.youtube.com/user/DMB20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


doublebassheeltoe Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen
Posts: 4006
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:28 pm
Location: Erlanger, KY

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:25 am



Drumtech69, can YOU say chill?

There is nothing wrong with transcribing music. The problem is sharing it. Don't like it? Get over it. Nobody cares if you like to follow the law, we just care that you follow it. And just because you don't like the law, doesn't give you a reason not to follow it.
There's no way around reality, and there's no way to fix things that have already happened. It is what it is, we are what we are, and there is nothing more to life than that. Rule #9.


nathanfrazier Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
User avatar
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:06 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:12 pm



This website has blessed us will FREE transcriptions. I thank them for the challenging music but it is up to us to act responsibly. Whether it is a show exerpt or RAM that someone wrote and wants our opinion about their work, we must see that it is not our work but someone elses. This is a privilage not a right people! If drummers are going to post their work they should be able to trust this website and the viewers to honor their efforts.

For me, I am not going to ask for permission to use transcribed music or music that someone has written, but what I will do my part and only use the music for myself. If I use the music at my high school I WILL contact them and ask them for permission. If I do not get a response, I might use their music, but I WILL give them credit for their work.

In closing, I love this website and I will applaud the honest people for their efforts. To the lazy copycats, I will say that you need to grow up and put yourselves in the shoes of the person you stole from.
AHS Drumline
-07-08 Bass
-08-09 Snare
-09-10 Snare/Section Leader
-09-10 Middle/High school Drum Ensemble arranger and instructor


KennaSnare2009 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:52 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:05 am



Tapspace wrote:
bltsponge wrote: Knowing many of the cats in the activity that might fall into that boat, they'd be all too happy to say, "Sure, go ahead!"

Sincerely,
Murray Gusseck
Tapspace Publications—Co-founder

i know this discussion should be over. and i think it is fair that you should ask permission before transcribing, but what I don't really understand is how Gusseck can say that they'd be all too happy to say, sure go ahead...and he brought this huge issue up, yet he still won't allow anyone to post transcriptions of his own work...to me..that just doesn't make sense if it is more of a moral thing of asking permission, yet he would still say no.
Marble Falls High School Snare 06-07
Marble Falls High School Center Snare 07-08
Marble Falls High School Center Snare 08-09, Section Leader, Band President


Timartin Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
Posts: 3944
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:00 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:51 am



you don't need permission to transcribe, you just can't post it up for others to have.
Glassmen Snare - 12
Matrix Snare - 13, 14


KennaSnare2009 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:52 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:07 pm



well i know you dont to transcribe, but i meant to post it.
Marble Falls High School Snare 06-07
Marble Falls High School Center Snare 07-08
Marble Falls High School Center Snare 08-09, Section Leader, Band President


Tenorsarefun Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:15 pm



I think Transcribing should be fine as long as you give credit to whom it's due. Anyone disagree?
Rangeview HS:
Bass 2 (06-07)
Tenors (07-10)
Drum Captian/ Section Leader (08-10)
RMPA I&E 1st Place (tied) Tenor solo (2010)

http://www.youtube.com/Tenorsarefun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/DanSomervilleDrums" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


LaKings2012 Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:16 pm



Tenorsarefun wrote:I think Transcribing should be fine as long as you give credit to whom it's due. Anyone disagree?
me
Roaminggnome4 wrote:Ducktape, baseball bat, metronome.

Ducktape him to a wall, hit him
tommyservo7 wrote: Everyone deserves to have fun. Clean or not.


Tenorsarefun Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:45 pm



LaKings2012 wrote:
Tenorsarefun wrote:I think Transcribing should be fine as long as you give credit to whom it's due. Anyone disagree?
me

please explain why...
Rangeview HS:
Bass 2 (06-07)
Tenors (07-10)
Drum Captian/ Section Leader (08-10)
RMPA I&E 1st Place (tied) Tenor solo (2010)

http://www.youtube.com/Tenorsarefun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/DanSomervilleDrums" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


awakentosleep Offline
ROAF
ROAF
User avatar
Posts: 2074
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:01 pm
Location: philly ish

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:47 pm



Because some composers wish for their music to not be transcribed.


LaKings2012 Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:51 pm



Tenorsarefun wrote:
LaKings2012 wrote:
Tenorsarefun wrote:I think Transcribing should be fine as long as you give credit to whom it's due. Anyone disagree?
me

please explain why...
because if there is someone who worked to write it, i think they should get paid to do so. and i think that if someone asks you to do something, you should do it
Roaminggnome4 wrote:Ducktape, baseball bat, metronome.

Ducktape him to a wall, hit him
tommyservo7 wrote: Everyone deserves to have fun. Clean or not.


Tenorsarefun Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:13 am



LaKings2012 wrote:
Tenorsarefun wrote:
LaKings2012 wrote: me

please explain why...
because if there is someone who worked to write it, i think they should get paid to do so. and i think that if someone asks you to do something, you should do it

I disagree with you, specifically regarding the money aspect. There are people who get paid to write the books & exercises for the battery. They get paid to write, not to sell what they write. If they choose to sell that music for $ after writing it, then by all means that's their choice. But in my mind, selling their work isn't how they're initially making money..They're making money by being apart of a world class staff, and writing the music. Selling the work is a way to make extra $...So if the argument turns into composers being angry with people transcribing their work because it hinders their ability to make a decent living, then maybe they shouldn't be writing music after all (or at least have a side or back up means to making $)...Agree?
Rangeview HS:
Bass 2 (06-07)
Tenors (07-10)
Drum Captian/ Section Leader (08-10)
RMPA I&E 1st Place (tied) Tenor solo (2010)

http://www.youtube.com/Tenorsarefun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/DanSomervilleDrums" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


LaKings2012 Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:15 am



Tenorsarefun wrote:
LaKings2012 wrote:
Tenorsarefun wrote:

please explain why...
because if there is someone who worked to write it, i think they should get paid to do so. and i think that if someone asks you to do something, you should do it

I disagree with you, specifically regarding the money aspect. There are people who get paid to write the books & exercises for the battery. They get paid to write, not to sell what they write. If they choose to sell that music for $ after writing it, then by all means that's their choice. But in my mind, selling their work isn't how they're initially making money..They're making money by being apart of a world class staff, and writing the music. Selling the work is a way to make extra $...So if the argument turns into composers being angry with people transcribing their work because it hinders their ability to make a decent living, then maybe they shouldn't be writing music after all (or at least have a side or back up means to making $)...Agree?
not at all.
Roaminggnome4 wrote:Ducktape, baseball bat, metronome.

Ducktape him to a wall, hit him
tommyservo7 wrote: Everyone deserves to have fun. Clean or not.


Tenorsarefun Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:43 am



LaKings2012 wrote:
Tenorsarefun wrote:
LaKings2012 wrote: because if there is someone who worked to write it, i think they should get paid to do so. and i think that if someone asks you to do something, you should do it

I disagree with you, specifically regarding the money aspect. There are people who get paid to write the books & exercises for the battery. They get paid to write, not to sell what they write. If they choose to sell that music for $ after writing it, then by all means that's their choice. But in my mind, selling their work isn't how they're initially making money..They're making money by being apart of a world class staff, and writing the music. Selling the work is a way to make extra $...So if the argument turns into composers being angry with people transcribing their work because it hinders their ability to make a decent living, then maybe they shouldn't be writing music after all (or at least have a side or back up means to making $)...Agree?
not at all.

yay! way to listen...-_-
Rangeview HS:
Bass 2 (06-07)
Tenors (07-10)
Drum Captian/ Section Leader (08-10)
RMPA I&E 1st Place (tied) Tenor solo (2010)

http://www.youtube.com/Tenorsarefun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/DanSomervilleDrums" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


billc36 Offline
moderator
moderator
Posts: 1824
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:23 am



So by that logic, an author could write a book and I could transcribe it all I want then? I mean he got paid to write the book, not to sell it.

Just because someone writes a piece of music doesn't mean that they give up all rights to sales after that. How many SCV exercises are now available for sale? Those were written for SCV, then released for sale.

What a composer chooses to do with their music is entirely their decision and should be respected.
Image

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.


AWA Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
User avatar
Posts: 3939
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:35 pm
Location: West Deptford, New Jersey, The United States of America, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:44 am



Tenorsarefun, you're misrepresenting the problem. You seem to think that the issue is completely monetary; while this is an underlying cause, it isn't the entire argument. More at stake here is the concept of intellectual property, and the respective value of intellectual property versus the educational potential of acquiring music (which would be otherwise unavailable).

Once and for all, I reiterate: No one is questioning that music that can be bought should not be traded illegally. However, the music which can't be bought, in my eyes, is fair game.
2007 - 2010: West Deptford High School (07-08 FE, 09-10 quads)
2013: Spirit of Atlanta (Marimba)
2014: Bluecoats (Vibraphone)

-Glenn Dawson

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."


awakentosleep Offline
ROAF
ROAF
User avatar
Posts: 2074
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:01 pm
Location: philly ish

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:28 am



Tenorsarefun wrote:
LaKings2012 wrote:
Tenorsarefun wrote:

please explain why...
because if there is someone who worked to write it, i think they should get paid to do so. and i think that if someone asks you to do something, you should do it

I disagree with you, specifically regarding the money aspect. There are people who get paid to write the books & exercises for the battery. They get paid to write, not to sell what they write. If they choose to sell that music for $ after writing it, then by all means that's their choice. But in my mind, selling their work isn't how they're initially making money..They're making money by being apart of a world class staff, and writing the music. Selling the work is a way to make extra $...So if the argument turns into composers being angry with people transcribing their work because it hinders their ability to make a decent living, then maybe they shouldn't be writing music after all (or at least have a side or back up means to making $)...Agree?
How much money do you think DCI percussion arrangers make? Cause let me tell you, it ain't that much... They pretty much all have to make money in other ways in addition to writing for the corps.


Tenorsarefun Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:47 am



awakentosleep wrote:
Tenorsarefun wrote:
LaKings2012 wrote: because if there is someone who worked to write it, i think they should get paid to do so. and i think that if someone asks you to do something, you should do it

I disagree with you, specifically regarding the money aspect. There are people who get paid to write the books & exercises for the battery. They get paid to write, not to sell what they write. If they choose to sell that music for $ after writing it, then by all means that's their choice. But in my mind, selling their work isn't how they're initially making money..They're making money by being apart of a world class staff, and writing the music. Selling the work is a way to make extra $...So if the argument turns into composers being angry with people transcribing their work because it hinders their ability to make a decent living, then maybe they shouldn't be writing music after all (or at least have a side or back up means to making $)...Agree?
How much money do you think DCI percussion arrangers make? Cause let me tell you, it ain't that much... They pretty much all have to make money in other ways in addition to writing for the corps.
that's exactly my point. I bet even the big guys like Scojo, Murray, Lee Beddis, all have to find means other than writing to make a decent living...
Rangeview HS:
Bass 2 (06-07)
Tenors (07-10)
Drum Captian/ Section Leader (08-10)
RMPA I&E 1st Place (tied) Tenor solo (2010)

http://www.youtube.com/Tenorsarefun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/DanSomervilleDrums" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Tenorsarefun Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:53 am



AWA wrote:Tenorsarefun, you're misrepresenting the problem. You seem to think that the issue is completely monetary; while this is an underlying cause, it isn't the entire argument. More at stake here is the concept of intellectual property, and the respective value of intellectual property versus the educational potential of acquiring music (which would be otherwise unavailable).

Once and for all, I reiterate: No one is questioning that music that can be bought should not be traded illegally. However, the music which can't be bought, in my eyes, is fair game.
That's funny Glenn Dawson. If I recall correctly, YOU're the one who transcribed the majority of the Rhythm X 2009 Tenor book I learned & posted videos of on my youtube channel...I wouldn't expect you to be the type of person to care about this "issue" at all, considering you obviously partake in it...
Rangeview HS:
Bass 2 (06-07)
Tenors (07-10)
Drum Captian/ Section Leader (08-10)
RMPA I&E 1st Place (tied) Tenor solo (2010)

http://www.youtube.com/Tenorsarefun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/DanSomervilleDrums" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
Posts: 3808
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:58 pm
Location: New Jersey/Indiana

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:39 am



Tenorsarefun wrote:
AWA wrote:Tenorsarefun, you're misrepresenting the problem. You seem to think that the issue is completely monetary; while this is an underlying cause, it isn't the entire argument. More at stake here is the concept of intellectual property, and the respective value of intellectual property versus the educational potential of acquiring music (which would be otherwise unavailable).

Once and for all, I reiterate: No one is questioning that music that can be bought should not be traded illegally. However, the music which can't be bought, in my eyes, is fair game.
That's funny Glenn Dawson. If I recall correctly, YOU're the one who transcribed the majority of the Rhythm X 2009 Tenor book I learned & posted videos of on my youtube channel...I wouldn't expect you to be the type of person to care about this "issue" at all, considering you obviously partake in it...
Only funny because you obviously didn't read his post. The Rhythm X 2009 book is not for sale, so he finds it morally acceptable to transcribe it, as do I.

Also, those instructors you named make their living at least partially by selling their works. They wrote it. Its theirs. Is there more to be discussed?
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.


AWA Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
User avatar
Posts: 3939
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:35 pm
Location: West Deptford, New Jersey, The United States of America, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:55 am



Tenorsarefun wrote:
AWA wrote:Tenorsarefun, you're misrepresenting the problem. You seem to think that the issue is completely monetary; while this is an underlying cause, it isn't the entire argument. More at stake here is the concept of intellectual property, and the respective value of intellectual property versus the educational potential of acquiring music (which would be otherwise unavailable).

Once and for all, I reiterate: No one is questioning that music that can be bought should not be traded illegally. However, the music which can't be bought, in my eyes, is fair game.
That's funny Glenn Dawson. If I recall correctly, YOU're the one who transcribed the majority of the Rhythm X 2009 Tenor book I learned & posted videos of on my youtube channel...I wouldn't expect you to be the type of person to care about this "issue" at all, considering you obviously partake in it...
Correct. That said, Dan Somerville, I have not come across any method other than transcription to obtain this music. Where music is available, I will attempt to abstain from sharing any transcriptions.

The activity of transcribing is not the issue in question. Yet again, you show profound misunderstanding of the situation.
2007 - 2010: West Deptford High School (07-08 FE, 09-10 quads)
2013: Spirit of Atlanta (Marimba)
2014: Bluecoats (Vibraphone)

-Glenn Dawson

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."


Tenorsarefun Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: Illegal Trading

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:05 pm



It's all good guys! I understand, I just don't agree. As far as transcriptions go, I'm still down like a clown. For the respect of those easily butthurt over this, I will refrain from asking, and posting music that is transcribed from a composer who wishes to keep their work private.
Rangeview HS:
Bass 2 (06-07)
Tenors (07-10)
Drum Captian/ Section Leader (08-10)
RMPA I&E 1st Place (tied) Tenor solo (2010)

http://www.youtube.com/Tenorsarefun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/DanSomervilleDrums" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 6 of 7 [ 163 posts ]





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum