Good sticks for stick changes

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

Mrnicknick02 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Good sticks for stick changes

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:15 am

What are some good sticks for a stick change?, I.E. Ballad or feature
HS:
17-Bass 3, later rack (back problems)
18-Snare
19-Snare

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Good sticks for stick changes

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:01 am

Can you be more specific? just saying "good sticks for a stick change" doesn't really mean anything on its own. If you need sticks for a ballad, look up "piccolo sticks" and you should get some results, but I can't reccomend good sticks for a stick change without knowing more about what that means to you.
Cedar Park High School
'15: Bass 4
'16 - '18: Snare

University of North Texas
'19: Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning." ~Buddy Rich

Mrnicknick02 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:59 pm

MrSirEric wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:01 am
Can you be more specific? just saying "good sticks for a stick change" doesn't really mean anything on its own. If you need sticks for a ballad, look up "piccolo sticks" and you should get some results, but I can't reccomend good sticks for a stick change without knowing more about what that means to you.
I referring to something like Carolina Crown 16/17,Cadets 16,Bluecoats 12/13/14,Cavies 14

My main point is how Tom Rarick in that IP discussion production video "to offer a different tamber" the only problem is that my high-school is somewhat IP sponsored, so?....
HS:
18-Snare
19-Snare

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:52 pm

In that case, look for piccolo sticks. Nothing from IP comes up on Lonestar, and while concert sticks will do in a pinch (maybe the Chris Lamb #1s), it wouldn't be my first choice. If you want to get creative, you can do what my school did last year and buy some of these: http://www.lonestarpercussion.com/Stand ... lator.html and cut them down to size, then put them on the beads of a different pair of sticks for a softer sound. That may or may not work depending on what kind of sticks you use, we use Rennick's so it wasn't too hard to force them over the beads because of their shape, but if you use something like Casella's with a more barrel shaped bead it might be a little harder to get them on.
Cedar Park High School
'15: Bass 4
'16 - '18: Snare

University of North Texas
'19: Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning." ~Buddy Rich

billc36 Offline

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:46 pm

What does the written music say as far as stick changes? What does your instructor say?

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

Ken Speranza Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:53 am

Nick, I'll have to check what sticks 'Coats used, they were some sort of heavier concert stick if I remember correctly.
*edit* They used IP-1s, which seem to be the standard IP concert stick. Now I gotta find a Vic Firth equivalent...
Palm Beach Gardens High School
2014- "NOLA" Xylophone
2015- "Latin Jazz" Xylophone
2016- "Circus du Soleil: Quidam" Center Marimba
2017- "The Journey Within" Center Snare

John I. Leonard High School (Indoor Partners)
2018- "Diamonds in the Rough" Snare

Mrnicknick02 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:14 pm

Ken Speranza wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:53 am
Nick, I'll have to check what sticks 'Coats used, they were some sort of heavier concert stick if I remember correctly.
*edit* They used IP-1s, which seem to be the standard IP concert stick. Now I gotta find a Vic Firth equivalent...
billc36 wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:46 pm
What does the written music say as far as stick changes? What does your instructor say?
I knew that Bloo used IP-1's, However we have not got our music yet, So I don't know if we are going to that. I'll have to ask, but if not I'll use the thread for future reference.
HS:
18-Snare
19-Snare

billc36 Offline

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:10 pm

Mrnicknick02 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:14 pm
Ken Speranza wrote:
billc36 wrote:
I knew that Bloo used IP-1's, However we have not got our music yet, So I don't know if we are going to that. I'll have to ask, but if not I'll use the thread for future reference.
So you don't even know if the music will necessitate a stick change?

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

Mrnicknick02 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:37 pm

billc36 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:10 pm
Mrnicknick02 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:14 pm
Ken Speranza wrote:
billc36 wrote:
So you don't even know if the music will necessitate a stick change?
UPDATE: I got to see our opener today and did not say for a change. However, this is not to say the ballad or maybe the begging closer may require it. So maybe, it will happen later on in the season.
HS:
18-Snare
19-Snare

Ken Speranza Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:52 pm

Sounds to me like you just want a stick change XD
Here's a lesson that I didn't learn until I started writing shows myself. If it fits, it'll get put in by the writer, intentionally. If it's not there, don't try to shoehorn it in just for the sake of it.
Palm Beach Gardens High School
2014- "NOLA" Xylophone
2015- "Latin Jazz" Xylophone
2016- "Circus du Soleil: Quidam" Center Marimba
2017- "The Journey Within" Center Snare

John I. Leonard High School (Indoor Partners)
2018- "Diamonds in the Rough" Snare