Tuning A Marching Snare

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

Timo Offline
noob
noob

Tuning A Marching Snare

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:58 pm

oof
So I've been trying to tune my snare for a while and it's just not working.
I'm using black max for batter and falams xt on snare side (both brand new).
The problem is that I get no snare gut response. I had a dynasty dfx and now I use a Yamaha sfz. I know it's not the drum itself because it has happened on both drums. The drum sounds the exact same when the snare is turned on and when the snare is turned off. All lugs, screws, tension posts are working fine. Nothing on the drum is broken.
It just sounds like a tom with a Kevlar head on it. As I said, there is 0 zero nada zilch snare gut response.
I've tightened the top head, I've tightened the bottom head, the guts are all the same pitch. Everything "should" be fine.
I've watched all the videos on YouTube from Remo and Evans and every other thing but nothing is working.
Like I said, it's not the drum because it's happened on both. That just means I suck at tuning.
Please help
What do I do to get gut response? How do I get that crisp sexy dci sound?
Thank you everyone

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Tuning A Marching Snare

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:35 am

You sure the snares themselves aren't choked up against the head or too tight? Have you played with the knobs attached to the snare mechanism?
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:07 pm

I've heard mixed reviews when it comes to the Falams XT, I can't say for sure that this is your problem but maybe try the Falams II bottom instead? Definitely look at what VoteLobster said and check the tightness of the snares themselves, especially if it's a drum for solo practice. If that's the case you're probably going to want the snares pretty loose to give you a bit of a fuller sound. If all else fails, I can walk you step by step through how we tune our drums, since my school uses the Yamaha sfz and our drums sound pretty nice
Cedar Park High School
'15: Bass 4
'16 - '18: Snare

University of North Texas
'19: Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning." ~Buddy Rich

Timo Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:28 pm

VoteLobster wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:35 am
You sure the snares themselves aren't choked up against the head or too tight? Have you played with the knobs attached to the snare mechanism?
You were exactly right. The snare guts were choked so they didn’t produce a sound. Thanks!!