Help for new section leader

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

A_Rus Offline
noob
noob

Help for new section leader

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:42 pm

So im going to be a section leader next year. And i just want to know. What ways do you guys run your sectionals right now ours are pretty disorganized.

anthonydrums Offline
noob
noob

Re: Help for new section leader

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:48 pm

I'm not a section leader myself,in fact i haven't been in drumline that long but in my line the section leaders focus on having control and authority so functions like warmups ad sectionals run smooth. As far as sectionals, making a group chat on your phone or making a schedule of what to do in sectionals can work well because communication is key for good work - speaking from what i've seen in my line so far, hope it helps

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Help for new section leader

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:03 pm

Making a group chat is pretty much required if you want easy communication. Beyond that, in sectionals you need to be assertive and take control of the sectional, but don't try to rule with an iron fist or everyone's just gonna think you're an ass and not listen to you anyways. There needs to be a balance between being leader and friend. One of my best friends is our section leader this year, and it's fun because he's my good friend, but we had a sectional today and we didn't make a whole lot of progress because we're all a little too comfortable with him. However, last year our section leader was a major headass a lot of the time, so none of us really listened to him because we just didn't like him. There has to be a happy medium.
Cedar Park High School
'15 "What's Opera Doc" - Bass 4: State Champions
'16 "All Hallows' Eve" - Snare: Grand Nationals 5th Place
'17 "The Steadfast Tin Soldier" - Snare: State Champions, Lonestar Classic Gold Medal, Snare Caption
'18 "On With The Show" - Center Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning."
~Buddy Rich