I tune my snare guts to the same pitch and a minute later they are out of tune

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

JURRIUN Offline
noob
noob

I tune my snare guts to the same pitch and a minute later they are out of tune

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:12 pm

So, on my Pearl FFX high tension snare drum I try to tune my snare guts to the same pitch like what the video said. When I get done with the last few strings, all of the strings are different pitches when I know they were all the same pitches. Can anyone help me?

teh_Guardian Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re: I tune my snare guts to the same pitch and a minute later they are out of tune

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:17 pm

Similar to a guitar, every strand you tune effects the tuning of the strands around it.

I'm not sure exactly how to explain it, but, picture the strainer. As you tighten a strand down (let's call it strand A), it increases pressure in that area, which causes an ever-so-slight shift in the tension across the strainer, leading there to be less pressure on the strands directly around Strand A.

Like tuning a drum head, each lug you tighten with have an effect on all the others, to varying degrees. Essentially, you're just going to need a bit of patience to toy with it until the sound is consistent.

In addition, it will probably help if you work the strands in a manor similar to the head itself. I imagine starting at the outside and working your way in would give you an easier situation to adjust. I haven't tuned strangers in quite a bit, so...I hope this helps!
Here we are, talking band!

JURRIUN Offline
noob
noob

Re: I tune my snare guts to the same pitch and a minute later they are out of tune

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:55 pm

Thanks this helped a lot. I have another question. When I am inside my snare drum sounds good. When I am outside, I hear my bottom head. So like when I hit the snare drum outside I hear the tone of my bottom head with a little bit of the sound the snare makes inside. How do I fix that?

teh_Guardian Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:51 am

There's a plethora of factors that can contribute to that bottom head ring, so it's hard to say what is causing it through the forum here.

A common issue amongst snare drums is over tightening the snares, not as far as the guts themselves, but the vertical adjustment. Try loosening the snares all the way, then gradually tighten them until you reach that middle point.

At a certain point, you'll hear the head 'raise in pitch' a little bit. Back it a little from there, and you'll be at that nice sweet spot with the tension.

The effect is much more notable on concert or drum set snares, but, given that the drums work on the same principles, the effect is still noticeable.

Otherwise, the tuning and what head you're using all have an effect on the tone, of course.

I hope this helps!

~J.
Here we are, talking band!

JURRIUN Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:56 am

Well, the thing is it doesn't matter about the snare guts like if I turn them on or off it still would make the sound of the bottom head. The sound I am talking about is like when you hit the resonant head with drumsticks. It makes that sound when you hit the batter side head.

JURRIUN Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:05 pm

so

jaga5 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:36 pm

You talking about the bottom head ringing? That's a good thing, it means the drum is in tune with itself and it's resonating.

You won't even hear it from a distance.
Southwind 2007 Tenors
Blue Knights 2008 Tenors
Cavaliers 2009, 2010 Snare

Metro Alliance 2006 Bass
Surround Sound 2008 - Bass
Tyler Junior College Indoor 2007, 2010, 2011 Snare

JURRIUN Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:24 pm

like i said it is not a ring it is like when you hit the bottom head with the drum stick

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:13 am

Have a friend put your drum on and step back a few yards. Listen to your drum then and re-evaluate the tuning.

Just a suggestion. What YOU hear is not what the AUDIENCE hears.
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer