I'm New to Drumline

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

Elijah116 Offline
noob
noob

I'm New to Drumline

Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:43 am

Hi guys, I'm an eighth grader right now and I'm going to try out for my high school's drumline but I don't know what I'm doing. Can you guys give me general advice and give me some stuff that I will probably need to know. I have been taking lessons on set for a little bit and I'm assuming that bass is the easiest so should I audition for bass? Can you also give me tips on how I should efficiently practice?

Thanks

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: I'm New to Drumline

Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:47 pm

Bass will probably be the easiest position to make since most people want to play snare or tenors. The single biggest pieces of advice I can give you are to A L W A Y S practice with a metronome, and practice playing while marking time. If you can get those down, even if your technique doesn't look as good, you'll stand out. Beyond that, contact the percussion director at your high school and see if you can arrange to meet with them at some point to get feedback from him on what you should work on to have a better chance. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I went through the exact same thing you're going through just a few years ago.
Cedar Park High School
'15 "What's Opera Doc" - Bass 4: State Champions
'16 "All Hallows' Eve" - Snare: Grand Nationals 5th Place
'17 "The Steadfast Tin Soldier" - Snare: State Champions, Lonestar Classic Gold Medal, Snare Caption
'18 "On With The Show" - Center Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning."
~Buddy Rich

Apleez Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Advice: If you are trying out for a high school drumline it will most likely be physically demanding so you should get into shape.
If you want to audition for bass then you should do it. If you are given an audition packet or exercises. You should be practice what you are given. If you are already learning that is a good start. Keep doing what your doing and you should make bass.

teh_Guardian Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:21 pm

Master the slow tempos, and the quiet volumes.

It's easy to get sucked into the whole "look how loud I can play!" and the "look how fast I can play!"

But, in my experience, the truly difficult things to control is extreme quiet...and extreme slow.

Put the met on, meditate. Become one with the space...and everything shall fall into place.
Here we are, talking band!