Welcome and introductions

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

catnip Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:41 am

hi all, great reading the stories.

I'm steve and I'm 41. Did all of my marching in the early 1980's, bass line and snare line. Got married, sold all of my drums (played kit in metal bands too) in 1986. Spent the next 20 years playing all sorts of instruments, mostly guitar, which I still play. Stumbled across my old stick bag rummaging through the cedar chest one day, and the FIRE instantly re-ignited. A mid-life crisis of sorts. Playing for me these days is strictly theraputic and for pure enjoyment. I recently bought me a Yamaha marching snare and some new sticks and I'm just loving it.

To the young drummers an here, I envy you so much. I never was able to take my marching skills to the level I wanted because of other life factors. But my passion has always been and always will be marching percussion, and the skills and discipline I learned marching snare has helped me in all aspects of my life.

on a side note, the 2008 Bluecoats are the most incredible line I've ever seen, and I've been a fan for over 30 years, if theres anyone on here from that line, I just wanna say thanks. BLOOO!!!1

Swinney Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:01 pm

Hey everyone; My name's Jake Swinney, and I'm 14. I've been playing percussion for 3 years now and I'm already top of my class and very dedicated to advancing in snare. Right now my technique is messy but I've been getting better. I plan on going into Kell High School and trying for center snare around Junior year. After High School I plan on going to JSU and getting a masters in Music Education. After that, I may teach drum line at a College/High School.
06-07 - Percussion.
07-08 - Percussion.
08-09 - Percussion. (Fond of the snare.)
09-10 - Future [center] snare of Kell High School

AHSTenor93 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:06 am

hey guys, im richard and i play tenors at a school called Arcadia on socal. im decent, but im currently trying to get better cause i want to join a drum corps in the future right when i get outta high school. possibly Blue Devils, or whatever line is closest to the college/university i go to. hope i can get to know u guys. later :D

R33f Ch33f Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:45 am

o hai, im terry and i also go to Arcadia, but i play snare. lol i havent been playing snare that long, but im already next to center snare in open line. hahahaha ive been playing for about 3 years now, two of those. . . not really doing anything because they were middle school years. freshman year, i was bass so i didnt really didnt learn any snare-y things until a couple of months before school ended. i really wanted to get snare so i practiced my butt off and here i am

Stubs Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:53 pm

Mmm, I'm. Bryan. I'm from Tennessee. Small school. Marched center tenor all 4 years. I was tenor section leader my sophomore year, and became drumline section leader my last 2 years. We won a few first place at competitions and plenty on the lower side, so I've been through it all.

I'm now instructing at the school a county over and a much larger band.

I'm here mainly to expand my knowledge on snare and a little bit of everything. :D

Chris_Dakine Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:10 am

lol
Last edited by Chris_Dakine on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

EGDrummer Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:03 am

Hey. I'm Michael. Ive marched my highschool drumline for all 4 years. Snare every year. My last year i am co-drum captain. Im attending a community college for the next two years so i can get some DCI time. I will be trying out for Teal Sound this year along with my co-drum captain. My drumline has won 1st place 3 times at competition.

clemsonsnarebdo Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:57 pm

Hey everyone!

My name is Derek, and I go to Clemson University. I've played on the snare line and this year I am assistant section leader. My high school marching experience is pretty limited because the school I went to from 10th grade out was pretty lame. My senior year I WAS the drumline, and our band consisted of 12 people. Pretty sad.

My freshman year is what got me into Drum Corps. My instructor was really great and taught me pretty much everything I know. For my last three years of high school I got by pretty much playing on my own. Now, playing on the drumline at Clemson is a cool experience.

My freshman year I tried out for Bass at Crown, but it was pretty much just for experience. I did the same at Teal Sound my Sophomore year. I haven't planned well enough to march DCI this Summer, because I need to save my money, a lot. But I plan on marching WGI this winter and next, and hopefully aging out with a world class corps in the Summer of 2010.
Music City Drum and Bugle Corps 2009 - Snare
Music City Drum and Bugle Corps 2010 - Bass 4
Palmetto Percussion 2010 - Snare

madjician

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:58 pm

Hey everyone. I'm Madj Ouhib.

Funny name right? I'm 17 years old, and I've been doing marching percussion for about four years now. I'm currently marching with my high school line, Marjory Stoneman Douglas, FL state champs/high percussion in our class. I marched my freshman year on second bass, my sophomore year as one of the end snares, and this year as center snare.

Also two indoor season. First as an end snare, second as one off from center.

I got addicted to DCI, I'm not really sure how. I went to a tealsound camp, and to my surprise, made the snareline. I was unable to march though because of school reasons, my parents wouldn't let me (I don't think they wanted to dish out 2000 either.)

But it's all good fun, hopefully I'll be there, or crossmen this season. So yeah, that about covers it.

Amarshall89 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:41 pm

Well this is overdue.

Heyyyy my names Aaron. I go to the University of Central Oklahoma. I'm a music education major and plan on teaching drumline after school, and eventually having my own marching band program. I tried out for the Bluecoats bassline in 07, but didn't have the money to march :cry: I'm going back to corps this year, haven't really decided where yet. I'm also planning on doing indoor at Gateway Indoor out of St. Louis this year. So yeah. Hai.
Gateway Indoor Percussion-snare 09
03-04 tenors
04-05 bass 1
05-06, 06-07 snare
All at Guthrie High
UCO-snare

JohnDonovanDotBiz Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Greetings from JohnDonovan.Biz - Party Percussionist

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:56 am

hey guys.......hope ur all doing well.....I'm of the few DCI age outs from the 90's that went pro...i'm married to another DCI vet and have a 2 year old future age out.

Here's my bio from my website..theres a few vids on my site and you tube channel.

John has played with professional dance bands, rock bands, metal bands, jazz bands, musical theater pit orchestras, cruise ship bands and DJ’S. In 2002, John performed with One Man Religion, which opened for internationally recognized Metal band, Breaking Benjamin. He is also a multi-world, national and state rudimental drumming champion, marching with Pioneer, Jersey Surf and The Reading Buccaneers Drum and Bugle Corps. A music business graduate of McNally Smith College of Music, formerly known as MusicTech, John has served as composer, arranger, instructor, and manager for drumlines across the Northeast and Midwest. John was featured in Modern Drummer Magazine, March 2008, pg 192 and is a performing artist and clinician for Mapex Marching Percussion.

I hope to make a few new friends here.
The OFFICIAL Official John Donovan dot BIZ Fan Club BADGE!
Get your own by copying the above link, and posting it on your SIG!!!
Doing it the way only a DCI WORLD CHAMPION could do.

Team Mapex, Paiste, Vater and Slug
http://www.JohnDonovan.Biz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

teh_Guardian Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re: Greetings from JohnDonovan.Biz - Party Percussionist

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:01 am

JohnDonovanDotBiz wrote:hey guys.......hope ur all doing well.....I'm of the few DCI age outs from the 90's that went pro...i'm married to another DCI vet and have a 2 year old future age out.

Here's my bio from my website..theres a few vids on my site and you tube channel.

John has played with professional dance bands, rock bands, metal bands, jazz bands, musical theater pit orchestras, cruise ship bands and DJ’S. In 2002, John performed with One Man Religion, which opened for internationally recognized Metal band, Breaking Benjamin. He is also a multi-world, national and state rudimental drumming champion, marching with Pioneer, Jersey Surf and The Reading Buccaneers Drum and Bugle Corps. A music business graduate of McNally Smith College of Music, formerly known as MusicTech, John has served as composer, arranger, instructor, and manager for drumlines across the Northeast and Midwest. John was featured in Modern Drummer Magazine, March 2008, pg 192 and is a performing artist and clinician for Mapex Marching Percussion.

I hope to make a few new friends here.
You're on DrumHard too, right? I think I remember reading a few posts from You Rick Beckham's rant thread.
Here we are, talking band!

Obaterista93 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:13 pm

Well i feel the need to introduce myself formally now. Im Zach, and im from Williamsport PA. Were not a big school, and the only thing were really known for is our marching band. In the last two years weve competed in USSBA(sponsered by the Cadets), and in previous years in TOB. This year the battery i was in placed 5th in our division at nationals, which was pretty sweet. I played snare, and im basically a drum addict. To the point where most days in school, i skip lunch to chill in the band room with a pad. Yeah i get ripped on alot for being "drum obsessed" but... when im the only person in my battery who goes on to march corp... im gonna say "maybe you shoulda played a bit more" o well. im rambling soooo yeahh
WAHS Front Ensemble 2007
WAHS Snareline 2008
WAHS Snareline 2009
Hawthorne Cabelleros Front Ensemble 2009
Hawthorne Cabelleros Snareline 2010
ಠ_ಠ

rudlka89 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:46 pm

Obaterista93 wrote:Well i feel the need to introduce myself formally now. Im Zach, and im from Williamsport PA. Were not a big school, and the only thing were really known for is our marching band. In the last two years weve competed in USSBA(sponsered by the Cadets), and in previous years in TOB. This year the battery i was in placed 5th in our division at nationals, which was pretty sweet. I played snare, and im basically a drum addict. To the point where most days in school, i skip lunch to chill in the band room with a pad. Yeah i get ripped on alot for being "drum obsessed" but... when im the only person in my battery who goes on to march corp... im gonna say "maybe you shoulda played a bit more" o well. im rambling soooo yeahh
Reminds me of those hot chicks on Maury that torture their ex-classmates for calling them "fat" before.
NEW BOARD-APPROVED CODE: "Retard" and its variants are now replaced by "SCV." "Homosexual" and its variants, "Phantom." "Go kill yourself" and its variants, "Go watch Phantom Regiment."

Obaterista93 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:04 pm

rudlka89 wrote:
Obaterista93 wrote:Well i feel the need to introduce myself formally now. Im Zach, and im from Williamsport PA. Were not a big school, and the only thing were really known for is our marching band. In the last two years weve competed in USSBA(sponsered by the Cadets), and in previous years in TOB. This year the battery i was in placed 5th in our division at nationals, which was pretty sweet. I played snare, and im basically a drum addict. To the point where most days in school, i skip lunch to chill in the band room with a pad. Yeah i get ripped on alot for being "drum obsessed" but... when im the only person in my battery who goes on to march corp... im gonna say "maybe you shoulda played a bit more" o well. im rambling soooo yeahh
Reminds me of those hot chicks on Maury that torture their ex-classmates for calling them "fat" before.

haha niceeeee. I dont even know what to say to that :roll:
WAHS Front Ensemble 2007
WAHS Snareline 2008
WAHS Snareline 2009
Hawthorne Cabelleros Front Ensemble 2009
Hawthorne Cabelleros Snareline 2010
ಠ_ಠ

yoshikinto Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:48 pm

rudlka89 wrote:
You watch Maury?

rudlka89 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:50 pm

yoshikinto wrote:
rudlka89 wrote:
You watch Maury?
Roaf I used to watch it when I stayed home from school, sick.
NEW BOARD-APPROVED CODE: "Retard" and its variants are now replaced by "SCV." "Homosexual" and its variants, "Phantom." "Go kill yourself" and its variants, "Go watch Phantom Regiment."

gretch89 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:42 pm

Now for my formal introduction! My name is Kyle McMaster, I live in Terra Bella, CA. I marched in high school all four years (cymbals, bass, and snare). I now am the assistant drum instructor at Porterville High School and have been for two years. I also teach a middle school drumline and beginning class. Besides marching, I've been a part of the Fabulous Studio Band, which is a high school/college age jazz band, where I've been the drummer now for 4 years. I personally specialize in concert percussion and drumset, but I just can't seperate myself from my high school marching band.

Now that I've introduced myself, I hope to chat with you guys in the future! 8)

offtheleft Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:08 pm

Hello!
My name is Tyler. I am a recent graduate of Liberty Univ. in VA with a BM in Instrumental music (percussion). I will be receiving Virginia Teacher Licensure very soon. I marched four years back home during HS, my senior year with West Carteret HS, one of the best drumlines in NC that year (Fall 2003). I marched four years at LU on Snare, the last two years as Battery Captain. For the last couple of semesters I have been working with the Jefferson Forest HS battery/percussion section in Forest, VA; they are a hard-working, very successful group.
I am looking forward to having some fun and informative conversations with all of you!

happy drumming

tk_TemPoRarY Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:04 pm

offtheleft wrote:Hello!
My name is Tyler. I am a recent graduate of Liberty Univ. in VA with a BM in Instrumental music (percussion). I will be receiving Virginia Teacher Licensure very soon. I marched four years back home during HS, my senior year with West Carteret HS, one of the best drumlines in NC that year (Fall 2003). I marched four years at LU on Snare, the last two years as Battery Captain. For the last couple of semesters I have been working with the Jefferson Forest HS battery/percussion section in Forest, VA; they are a hard-working, very successful group.
I am looking forward to having some fun and informative conversations with all of you!

happy drumming
oh man I know a bunch of people that go to Liberty.
Stone Bridge Marching Bulldogs Drumline
07-08 pit (mallets)
08-09 center tenors

Tommy Kim

AFHSdrummer Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Hey everybody

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:04 pm

Hey just thought i'd introduce myself. The Names Aidan Doherty I'm 16 and i'm a junior at Agua Fria High School. I just found this site a couple days ago and I love it. Its so cool that there's this big of a community for drumming.

I really enjoy playing snare, been playing for the last 2 years. I think i'm pretty decent but my technique isn't the best. I'm hoping I can fix it with the help of this site.

I hope to march DCI before I age out, this year i'm auditioning for Arizona Academy on 3rd Bass. I'm pretty confident and the 2nd week of auditions are tommorow =) So best of luck to me.

Well thats enough about me i think. If anyone on here is in Arizona message me up.
Aidan Doherty
High School Marching Band
-06- 3rd Bass
-07- Snare
-08- Snare
-09- Snare
Agua Fria Indoor Drumline
-10- Snare
Breakthrough Indoor
-10- Snare Callback [cut] final day

tenorzgalore Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:14 am

hey im connor mccracken. i started in 4th grade with drums, moved to a lil marimba, then came back in 8th grade. i then got center tenors my freshman year. we got 2nd at championships, and 2nd high percussion. i can also play set, guitar, bass, piano, and basically any pit instrument. oh, and i also professionally fight. :P its uber fun.
Northern York High School

Freshman 08-arctic adventure-center tenor, tenor line section leader. 2nd place at ACCs and 2nd at Chapters.

doublebassheeltoe Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:20 am

tenorzgalore wrote:oh, and i also professionally fight. :P its uber fun.

Yo, then get ready for rookie initiation:

There's no way around reality, and there's no way to fix things that have already happened. It is what it is, we are what we are, and there is nothing more to life than that. Rule #9.

tenorzgalore Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:57 pm

haha, bring the heat! haha. but yeah i fight in a private school in harisburg pa. professionally in 28-2. and with mixed matches in 36-2.
Northern York High School

Freshman 08-arctic adventure-center tenor, tenor line section leader. 2nd place at ACCs and 2nd at Chapters.

AjaxHammer Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:15 pm

tenorzgalore wrote:haha, bring the heat! haha. but yeah i fight in a private school in harisburg pa. professionally in 28-2. and with mixed matches in 36-2.
yea me too. what style do you do?

I do Shuai Chiao, jiu-jitsu, and barely any wrestling.
Boston Crusaders 2011, 2012 - Snare
Jersey Surf 2010 - Snare
Surround Sound 2010 - Snare