Welcome and introductions

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

thegiggingdrummer Offline
noob
noob

Re: Welcome and introductions

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:30 pm

I marched in highschool. Also taught various drumlines in college. Taught for pacifica Highschool 2008 (WE GOT WGI GOLD). I'm now a professional musician who's traveled all over the world (over 30 countries and 100 cities). Hello!

;)

http://www.matt-jones.org/mattjones.org/Book.html

eatsleepdrum Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:19 am

Well this is a real late introduction for me, but my name is Steve.

I live in Hawaii and played snare for Kailua High School sophomore to senior year. I just graduated and am on my way to try out for San Diego State University's Drumline. I gotta say, I owe almost EVERYTHING I've ever learned about snare drumming to this website and the great people running it. If I make it there and can move on to DCI, I owe everyone on here a lot.

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:01 am

My name is Lee and i will be a freshman in high school this fall and on the snare line. I started percussion in 4th grade and started marching percussion and my first marching influence was the Big 8 Drumline.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

pur3pker131 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:50 pm

Hello everybody, my name is Bennett. I can really play every percussion instrument proficiently, but in marching band I play tenors. I intend on trying out for a corps in the near future on either xylophone, bass drum, or timpani. I also play set in a metal/jazz fusion band.
I hit things to make beautiful noises.

Raiders 2013 - Timpani
United Percussion 2014 - Vibes
United Percussion 2015 - Timpani

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Re:

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:59 pm

pur3pker131 wrote:Hello everybody, my name is Bennett. I can really play every percussion instrument proficiently, but in marching band I play tenors. I intend on trying out for a corps in the near future on either xylophone, bass drum, or timpani. I also play set in a metal/jazz fusion band.
Hello Bennett Metal and Jazz *High Five*
Last edited by Lee clary on Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

pur3pker131 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Re:

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Lee clary wrote:
pur3pker131 wrote:Hello everybody, my name is Bennett. I can really play every percussion instrument proficiently, but in marching band I play tenors. I intend on trying out for a corps in the near future on either xylophone, bass drum, or timpani. I also play set in a metal/jazz fusion band.
Hello Bennet Metal and Jazz *High Five*
Sure *high five*

Raiders 2013 - Timpani

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Thank you
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

pur3pker131 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:19 pm

Lee clary wrote:Thank you
Youre welcome, also, you spelled my name wrong haha

Raiders 2013 - Timpani

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:34 pm

check now
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

coderedinstructor Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:04 pm

Hello all! My name is Kyle, and I have been a percussionist for about 20 years now. I am the drum instructor at Western Harnett High School in Lillington, NC. I have been there for about 3 years, and teach an intermediate level. I have experience on the football field and the indoor circuit. Glad to be here!
Percussion Instructor, Code Red Drumline

Director of Music, Johnsonville Elementary

Former Bass Section Leader
NC A&T SU Blue & Gold Marching Machine

Simple things, perfectly
-Jonan Keeny, Rhapsody Performance Ensemble

Ajax Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi, My Name is Aj. I'm 14 and i pray de berrs!!

THSquads98 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:23 pm

I'm Ian. I started playing in 6th grade. I'm currently a freshman marching quads for my High school marching band.

willschoeff Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:21 pm

Hey guys, I'm Will. I play bass clarinet in high school but always had an interest in percussion so I auditioned for my school's winter ensemble in my freshman year. I played vibes that season and then moved into the battery and played bass every fall and winter season through my junior year. To finish out high school I'm on tenors and I'm hoping to continue playing tenors in DCI in the years to come. I'm so happy to get to know you guys and learn from everybody!
Green Hope HS Percussion: 2010-2013

DGTenor Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:56 pm

Hey, I'm Daniel. I began playing percussion instruments in 6th grade. I'm currently a freshman in high school and this year i marched cymbals. I tried out for and made tenors for our winter drumline. Hopefully I'll be playing tenors through my senior year and beyond. Honestly i gained my interest in marching band through youtube, and i enjoy watching DCI videos. I hope to share stories and learn alot from everyone!
RHS-2012 Marching Cymbals
RHS Winter Drumline-2012 Tenors

drummerboyonfire Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:10 pm

Hello.
Last edited by drummerboyonfire on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7th Regiment
Snare 14-15

ihilaslaramo Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:35 am

Hello! My name is Omar, and I want to make a career out of marching percussion! I started playing music on the cello in fifth grade, and stuck with that all the way through my senior year of high school, but discovered freshman year that percussion was my true love. I was terrified of the drumline at my school; how could it be possible to play that well? I finally got up the courage to try out junior year, but my first sticks out ended up with the sticks flying across the room and me leaving early.....senior year, I had befriended the center marimba, and he convinced me to go out for the open kit spot in the pit.....my life changed that season. It was my school's first year at WGI, and we got bronze in PSA!! Now I write shows, and I'm trying to get marching experience, though that's hard, as most independent groups expect you to have some marching experience. So hopefully you'll hear more from me! Thanks for reading!

Shelbster Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:24 pm

Hey guys, my name is Shelby. I'm currently a center snare as a senior in high school, but I have two years of pit experience as well as one year of bass drum experience. I'm hoping to go on as a music major in college, most likely focusing on bass guitar.
WHS Viking Drumline
------
Pitt (Marimba) 2010
Electric Bass Guitar 2011
2nd Bass Drum (Bass Drum Co-Captain) 2012
Center Snare 2013

SnareFnatic Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Hello all, my name is Dalton. I've played snare for about 4 and a half years,however, practicing for 2-4 hours a day, I'm no newbie to snare. I'm currently entering my Sophomore year in High School. My Freshman year I played snare(we have no indoors percussion so it was pretty short). I'm also marching snare this year.

Our school plays match grip simply because we don't have a percussion instructor, I took up traditional grip on the side and practiced the hell out of it. With a mix of hard work and private lessons I've managed to get some decent chops. I hope to play snare for Carolina Crown in a couple years(I'll be 16 this year so I've got about 6 more years to march). I hope to help out on technical issues with snare where I can but also learn wherever possible. Thanks :)
One does not simply play "beats". They do not simply accumulate the ability to perform and compose. They work, and work, and work, until "work" simply isn't a strong enough word to explain what they're doing. Then, and only then, do they perform; and after that performance, you understand why it was they labored so vigorously.

Matt_1423 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Hey everyone my name is Matt. I'm a senior in high school and this is my 4th year on snare. This will also be my second year as center snare. When I first auditioned I thought it was a long shot but to my surprise I made it. Our percussion section struggled my first year but I am proud to say that we have improved immensely. We have gone from the bottom of the food chain to knockin' heads with the top programs in our respective area. I have learned everything I know from, who I believe to be the greatest instructor, Dan Hunt. He has taught me so much and I hope to continue playing and learning and being the best that I can.
YoDemDiddlesBro wrote:However, he was probably born 99% inhuman beast badass.
Montwood High School
"Invasion" 2010 - Snare
"Elements" 2011 - Snare
"Dreamstate" 2012 - Center Snare
"Across the Universe" 2013 - Center Snare

FlamCorps Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:48 pm

Hello everyone, it is great to finally be a member of this great site! I've been viewing this site for about two years, learning new pieces etc. Now I'm glad to say I'm apart of this great site.

My Username is Flamcorps as you can see. I'm primarily a snare drummer, however I do play quads/tenors and drum set quite frequently. I started corps style marching in my sophomore year of high school. Played an indoor and outdoor season on snare then moved to tenor for my junior and senior year. I also march snare in an independent group called Paradigm Percussion. We are still getting out there and still working hard to get where we want to be. Last year was definitely a great year for us and we hope to continue it! I also am trying out for multiple corps this year; The Cadets, Blue Knights and the Madison scouts being the one's of interest.

That's about it for me. I look forward to discussing my love with multiple different people!

gamertooth17 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi i'm batman. I'm also definitely NOT bruce wayne..;)
John Martin - 14 y/o composer, arranger, percussionist, pianist, Batman, polyglot, middle distance runner
Western Reserve Blue Devils Marching Band
7th: Marching Bells, Tin Can, Cowbell
8th: Quads
9th: Snare
10th: Snare
OMEA Junior High Honors Band: 2011 & 2012
OMEA High School Honors Band: 2014

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:42 pm

gamertooth17 wrote:Hi i'm batman. I'm also definitely NOT bruce wayne..;)
You could be batman beyond.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

JLbluefan09 Offline
snarescience addict
snarescience addict

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:19 pm

SnareFnatic wrote:Hello all, my name is Dalton. I've played snare for about 4 and a half years,however, practicing for 2-4 hours a day, I'm no newbie to snare. I'm currently entering my Sophomore year in High School. My Freshman year I played snare(we have no indoors percussion so it was pretty short). I'm also marching snare this year.

Our school plays match grip simply because we don't have a percussion instructor, I took up traditional grip on the side and practiced the hell out of it. With a mix of hard work and private lessons I've managed to get some decent chops. I hope to play snare for Carolina Crown in a couple years(I'll be 16 this year so I've got about 6 more years to march). I hope to help out on technical issues with snare where I can but also learn wherever possible. Thanks :)
Another SW Missourian! What high school do you go to, mate?
Gateway Indoor
'12 rack
'13 synth

Music City Drum Corps
'12 synth
pearltenors wrote:IM 13 OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bodhi Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:51 pm

Hey, I'm Michael and I play quads.

I started playing clarinet in middle school and currently perform in my college concert band as a clarinetist, learned how to play piano shortly after learning clarinet, then I started playing mallet percussion and cymbals my sophomore year of high school. Strangely enough, I actually ended up in the drumline by accident because the flyer said "concert band camp," but nevertheless, it was the best mistake I ever made. After one month of percussion, I started playing quads, and I marched those my junior and senior year of high school. I plan on marching them next year my sophomore year of college if my schedule allows it (and if my audition goes well).

What else? Oh, I also help tech my old high school's drumline, and since they're currently trying to rebuild their marching band then I figured they'd need all the help they can get.

AQHinds53 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:33 pm

My name is Alex

and

I like to play the snare drum
Pioneer Indoor
2010-13 snare

Pioneer Drum and Bugle Corps
2011 snare