Welcome and introductions

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

joshydrummer202 Offline
noob
noob

Re: Welcome and introductions

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:59 pm

Hello everyone. just to let you know that this is joshydrummer201. My account for some reason won't let me acces it anymore so I had to create a new account
Center grove high school 2011: tenor (1 off center)
Please check out my youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/Bluecoatsdr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ature=mhee

DrummerOf2012 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:04 pm

WHATS UP DUDES!?
Viral video with 5 snare drummers in kilts.
Army All-American Marching Band - 2012
TCI 2010 snareline "Censored"

University of Texas Percussion

DeerManOfTheWoods Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi! I have been looking through some of these threads and decided to show my face 8) .

I currently play Bass 3 for Hardin Valley Academy (Knoxville, TN). However, for indoor i'm trying for snare.
Jordan Bible. Middle Tennessee State University Percussion Studio. Music Education.
jordanbiblepercussion.weebly.com

Dustofice1 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:49 pm

Hey all!
Im Andrew, a junior with the Oak Park Marching Northmen from Gladstone MO!
Ive been playing percussion since I was like six. lol. I love it! I marched snare my freshmen year and am still doing it to this day! I wrote our show music this year for Superman VS. Batman.....its fun! lol. But I also love me some tympani! Its my baby(or better yet they're my babies!!) But I also play a lot of drumset. For the jazz band, and all the choirs except a cappela which I sing in!

I also play some ukulele! <- just a fun thing!

Nice to meet you all, I really do love this site!

petrolika Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:12 am

Hi!!
I'm George, a 15 year old from Sydney, Australia :)
I've been drumming for 8 years, and it's pretty much the only thing in life I'm good at lol.
I started out playing in orchestras and concert bands, and playing kit in a jazz band ( :/ ) but I got into pipe bands and marching drumming a few years ago, and that's been the most fun I've ever had :D
Les femmes françaises ne sont pas poilu, ils ont juste beaucoup d'ombre autour de leurs aisselles, qui donne aux gens la perception de la pilosité français.

i_like_turtles

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Dustofice1 wrote:Hey all!
Ive been playing percussion since I was like six. lol. I love it! I marched snare my freshmen year and am still doing it to this day! I wrote our show music this year for Superman VS. Batman.....its fun! lol. But I also love me some tympani! Its my baby(or better yet they're my babies!!) But I also play a lot of drumset. For the jazz band, and all the choirs except a cappela which I sing in!

I've never heard of Gladstone. Is that by KC Or St. Louis?

I'm from Springfield/Branson. :D

Dustofice1 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:14 pm

i_like_turtles wrote:

Yea! its actually nestled nicely in the middle of Kansas City! Nice to meet another Missourian! :)
OPHS '09-'11 Snare
OPHS '11-'13 Center Snare

Andymac Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Hey. My name is Andy Edelen. I went to Meade County high school in KY, and now I'm majoring in music education at Western Kentucky University. I've been on this site a while, but I guess I never introduced myself.

i_like_turtles

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Dustofice1 wrote:
i_like_turtles wrote:

Yea! its actually nestled nicely in the middle of Kansas City! Nice to meet another Missourian! :)
Awesome! there are a couple more on here. None of them really post as much anymore. Did you by chance go to UCM marching festival last fall?

Dustofice1 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:46 pm

Awesome! there are a couple more on here. None of them really post as much anymore. Did you by chance go to UCM marching festival last fall?[/quote]
I did not! I would love to go to some more marching festivals though! I just don't have the time for anything extra! lol. I do too musch in the fall. This year we did Carrollton Band Days, MoWest Tournement of Champions and Trenton Band Days. My band as a whole isn't too good but our line is pretty decent, considering me and another guy(senior) have the most experience!
OPHS '09-'11 Snare
OPHS '11-'13 Center Snare

billthompson136 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:55 pm

Hey guys, an old man here... Currently Percussion Instructor (or assistant band director when it comes to my salary) at a little 4A school with a pretty decent drumline and band. Was searching around the net for some marching drums to add to my collection and came across this site. I've been drumming since about 7th grade, 1988, so it's been a while. Got my Music Ed. degree in 2001, and have been teaching at Columbia High School since 2004. Not much else, married, 3 kids, plenty of drums in the garage..
Bill Thompson
Percussion Instructor/Assistant Director
Columbia High School
Columbia, MS

SagePercussion Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi I am Sage Cordova from Utah, U.S. I am 16 years old (17 soon). I am currently a Junior and 2nd year for my High School Drum line. My family has no history of music so I will be the first to do so. I was thrown into music classes my 7th Grade Year and just decided I wanted to play drums... and I was thrown in percussion to learn! I didn't like Jr. High band that much... but I just went along to play with my high school my sophomore year and was first bass and played at all the competitions... I am currently playing tenors for pep band, and trying out for snare at another High School for their Winter Drum line (my school doesn't have a winter drum line). I just wanna learn more and get better and I hope you guys will have some much needed advice. Thanks :)
"You know, I just want to add a little somethin' somethin' on the end."

Zeta12ti Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:07 pm

What's up friends (and non-friends)?

I'm a long-time leech on these fora, so I'm hoping to make that up now.
I'm a front ensemble person who picked up drumming as a hobby, so I can't say I have any experience playing in a battery. I'm also ashamed to admit that I haven't marched anywhere outside of my school; I'm hoping to change that in the next year and possibly march at an open-class or lower world class corps.
I look forward to meeting all of you.
-zeta12ti

ArundelSnare11 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:58 pm

Hey all,

I've been aware of this site for awhile now..just decided to register though through the hopes of becoming more active in the drumming community. I'm currently a junior and play snare in my school's marching band, as well as timpani in our wind ensemble and violin in our orchestra :D I've been 'drumming' for about 2 and a half years, and have learned quickly. I look forward to getting to know you all and learn even more, especially in my transcription and notation skills!

-ArundelSnare11

TenorPiano Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:56 pm

Hey guys (and gals)

This is my fifth year of concert drumming, and third in marching and jazz.
I play everything from trumpet to percussion in concert band, and piano in jazz band.
My 7th and 8th grade years of marching band I played snare, while this year (9th) I play quints, and I'm the Section Captain.

I enjoy everything about drumming, ESPECIALLY my marching drumline. I've written a handful of marching cadences, most of which my drumline is too small to play, consisting of two snares, a bass, and myself. But homefully you guys will be able to enjoy them if I should get around to posting them!

~TP
RHS Marching Band
'09 - Snare - "80's Rock"
'10 - Snare - "Fiddler on the Roof"
'11 - Quints - "James Bond" - Section Captain
'12 - Quints - "Earth, Wind, & Fire" - Drum Major, Section Captain

MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:51 am

I had an account on here a few years ago. I'm back.
Last edited by MPolarinakis on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13

for clarification, see related GIF

dilloncarpenter Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:09 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Dillon Carpenter, I am 16 years old, resident of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and I go to the Mustang, Oklahoma High School and was a member of the Mustang Nightriders marching band in 2011. I got put in the front ensemble, since I am only a freshman.

I joined this forum, literally just now, because I am seeking help in pretty much everything. Making the drumline has been a dream of mine for many years. I hope to eventually be on the University of Oklahoma drumline, and maybe even go on to DCI. I have to get good first though, and this is where you guys could probably help me out with. I've been playing the marching snare for about 2 years now. I don't think I'm that good, and I am pretty much setting my heart on making drumline next year, which is a problem. I'd MUCH rather put in all the hard work and be committed than quit practicing and give up altogether, because as I said, it has been a dream of mine for so long. It may seem silly to some (or most, don't really know anyone here yet:P) who have already been on a drumline, but getting better at it it's pretty much my top priority now besides school. I just printed out the sheet music for The Ditty for giggles, but I know a few other cadences by the OU drumline and from our high school drumline. I will try to get a video soon to show you all. I have one up on youtube right now, but it was from awhile ago and it isn't even worth showing. I own a 14" Pearl with no stand or harness, and a white HQ "RealFeel" practice pad. I use the pad mostly so I don't disturb the rest of the family. The sticks I use are ProMark System Blue DC50's, Innovative Percussion FS-2's or JC's, or Vic Firth Corpsmasters. Anyway, I'll lurk around for information on here until I can get a decent video for you guys. I'll work on The Ditty and see if I can do that for you all eventually ;)

-Dillon Carpenter

Brock Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Hey guys, Im Brock

Theres not much to say, I grew up in a small town very far away from the cities. I'm the oldest of 10 (crazy right?), and I've worked for most of my life to help provide for my family. I started getting into drums when i was about 18, and I've been playing ever since.

mbdrumline10 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:34 pm

drummeraaron Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi I'm Aaron
I joined this forum to get some new ideas of ways to practice and different things to practice. I love drumming and hope to do DCI in the coming years. Right now I'm in high school and on my drumline. I played bass 2 my first year and I have been playing center snare ever since (I'm currently a junior). Hope fully some of the stuff I see here will help me get better.
Legends 2013-Auxiliary Percussion
"A captain doesn't have to be loud. In fact if everyone does their job, there should be no reason to have to be loud." -spartey
"'Thank goodness they FINALLY made those snare drums a little bit lighter!'" - quad players" -awakentosleep
OAS AAS LLS Alpha Theta Spring '14

shufflebunnie Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:09 pm

Hello there, my name is Sunny and I'm a 16 year old snare player from Rhode Island.
Originally from Italy and speaking three languages (Eng, Ita, Korean), I am the captain of my high school's drumline for my senior 2012-13 year.
I came to snare science to hopefully gain further knowledge of the drum and the technique from more skilled people.
In the future I'd like to do drum corps, even though I'm a 5'2, 95-lb little Italian girl (:
sunny; 16; snare; dl captain 2012-13.

JSUBass Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:39 pm

Hey everyone. My name is Kyle Cunningham. I'm from Oxford, AL. I graduated from Oxford High School in 2010, and have been a music major at Jacksonville State University for 2 years. I'm going into my third season of marching for the JSU Marching Southerners. I have played bass drum both years here, and will be the bass drum section leader this upcoming season. I have marched Odyssey Percussion Theatre (drumset, 2012) and Frequency, Inc. (bass 1, 2012). I hope to march bass for Bluecoats next year for my age-out. That's pretty much my life in a nutshell.
Odyssey Percussion Theatre 2010
Drumset

Frequency Inc. 2012
Bass 1

Spirit of <(tlanta 2013
Bass 2

Jacksonville State University
Marching Southerners 2010-Present
2010-Bass 5
2011-Bass 1
2012-Bass 2

HaViiK Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Hey everyone, my name is Steven Wright. I've been drumming in some way since I joined band in 6th grade in 2003. I marched five years(8-12) at Rustburg High School in Rustburg, Va. I graduated High School in 2010 and took over the reigns of that drumline that fall and I'm in my third and final year there. Last season we went undefeated again all A and AA bands in every competition we were judged in and we hope to repeat that! Looking forward to getting to know y'all!
-Steven Wright

Rustburg High School:
  • Bass 05, 06
    Snare 07, 09
    Tenor 08
    Instructor: 2010-Present, Undefeated in 2011

@Steven_HokieDT
http://www.facebook.com/steven.T.wright

Dynastychick32 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:02 am

What's up! I'm Jessica, I made this account a while ago and didn't use it much, but now i'm back. I live in the part of Oklahome thats super close to Arkansas. I marched alot of snare in High school and i'm currently on the snareline at NSU.
WHS Drumline:
Snare (2008-2011 seasons)

Northeastern State Univ. Riverhawk MB:
"Rock out with your Hawk out!"
Freshman Fall '12- Snare
Soph Fall '13- Snare

akfina Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:39 pm

Salutations, snarescience. I'm Larry. My freshman year I played Xylophone and also did a sampler with narrated the show for the audience. I didn't really know how to read music and how to play in timeo until I started training for my sophomore year. I am 10x better than I was when I was a freshman and I learned a bunch of things from upperclassmen drummers. I think I got a spot on the line, more than likely. We have a 4th Of July parade tomorrow and I'm marching Bass 1. I'm not sure yet that if I want to stick to Bass and switch to snare, that'll be a self-decision I guess. Um, that's it!
RHS Pit Xylophone '11-'12 "Phobias."
RHS Drumline Bass 1 '12-'13 "Rain."
RHS Drumline Bass 1 '13-'14 "Rampage."
RHS Drumline Bass 1 '14-'15 "Infected."