Welcome and introductions

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

tk_TemPoRarY Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:28 pm

Tynneh wrote:Hello, i'm Cor from the Netherlands.
I'm an "old" snaredrummer who wants to start playing snare again. Played a lifetime ago (20 years) in a drum and trompets corps in my hometown and a few years in the Dutch military police band. Quited playing because of mariage, back problems and lack of time.
But now that my daughter plays in a corps it started itching again. So, i'm a bit (neh,not a bit but a lot) rusty and need to practice the basics again.
Don't blame me when i ask "stupid" questions, because untill last week i had never heard of paradiddle or drag taps and so on. Its all somewhat new to me. At least one good thing is that you never forget to read the notes.

As i said before, 20 years is a lifetime. :wink:

Greetz
haha good to have you. it's so cool to talk to people all over the world.
Stone Bridge Marching Bulldogs Drumline
07-08 pit (mallets)
08-09 center tenors

Tommy Kim

Froukjelynn

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:18 am

Hi everybody,

I'm Froukje, 26 years old, i'm living in Lisse, the Netherlands.
I play with Damiate band Haarlem for 19 years now. It's a marching and show corps.
I play snare for almost 14 years now.
In between i played sousaphone for around 5 years but now i'm back with the snareline.
My first 14 years we played traditional/english style. But the last years we play traditional/american style, so i have to learn a lot of new techniques.
I have to work hard but i love to be back with the snareline.

Bryaxxe Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:26 pm

Hello my name is Bryan Angel and I am 16. I am from the town of Walton KY which is about 25 miles south of Cincinnati. I've been playing for about 5 years now but have just now in the past year become very "serious" about my playing. I have been the percussion section leader at my high school for two years now. Also I plan on trying to make a Drum Core after I graduate high school.

As for accomplishments this past year I made the Northern Kentucky High School select band.
-www.myspace.com/rockthebryan
-NKY Select Band 2nd Chair 2008
-Walton Verona High School:
Outstanding Percussionist 06-08
Percussion Section Leader 06-08
Band President 06-08
Play Percussion Accompanist 06-08
-Totally lamewad 91-08

gnowelyk Offline
noob
noob

Greetings

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:44 am

Hi, my name is Kyle Wong and I am 16. I am from Sunnyvale, CA; I've been playing rudimental marching snare drum for three years now. I made our high school's snare line my sophomore year and became center snare my junior year. I marched with the Vanguard Cadets last summer.

I have long adored this site and I'm really looking forward to contributing to the site's community!

CenterSnare42 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:22 am

hey everyone im Matthew im 16
Center snare on my schools drumline
I live in Los Angeles
been playing for about 5 years
hope to learn a lot with this site
~CenterSnare42~

rim1990 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:31 am

What's up everyone my name is Sam.
I'm from Mission, TX and i probably come from one of the most suckiest drumlines in the world!!! *not to be rude but truthful*
I recently graduated and I played tenors all my high school years but snare has always been something i liked to play
When my junior year hit me i thought that drumming wouldn't be in my future. But thanx to my senior year drum teacher he inspired me to not give it up.
I plan on doing WGI in a year or so still not sure
Peace
Last edited by rim1990 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:20 pm

Hey everybody. I'm Tom, the older brother of "pearltenors." I noticed him using the site, so I decided to join a few weeks ago. First time actually posting, though.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

lhsdrummer91 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:25 am

tommyservo7 wrote:Hey everybody. I'm Tom, the older brother of "pearltenors." I noticed him using the site, so I decided to join a few weeks ago. First time actually posting, though.
...how do you survive with that kid? lol jk. hes just kinda young is all. my bros like that too.

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:03 am

lhsdrummer91 wrote:
tommyservo7 wrote:Hey everybody. I'm Tom, the older brother of "pearltenors." I noticed him using the site, so I decided to join a few weeks ago. First time actually posting, though.
...how do you survive with that kid? lol jk. hes just kinda young is all. my bros like that too.
Sometimes I just don't know.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

NEBeats Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:12 pm

Hi, I'm Nate Bolay

I live in Omaha, Nebraska where I have lived most all of my life. I started drumming in 1988 with a private drum teacher by the name of Steve Thomas (311 fans may have heard of him). Steve did me 2 great favors. First he taught me how to read well and insisted on rudiment learning. Second, he loaned me some DCI vids. My course was set.

I marched snare drum in high school for three years and was a drum major for one year. After I graduated in 95 I was ready to spend the money I'd saved for a few years. After a swing and a miss at a BK camp, Nick Angelis suggested I check out a drum corps where his buddy from 95 BK was going to be teaching. I found my way to Cedar Rapids, IA the next month and became a member of Nite Express D&BC. I had the luck of learning from guys like Mike McIntosh, and Kris Hartmann who brought Velocity stroking from his experience at BK with Queen and Angelis. The corps ran out of money that year and so did I. Regrettably, I did not tour again. Thankfully, I came home with chops I'd never imagined.

I went on to be a member of the Univ. NE Omaha drumline for 2 years, (section leader for 1yr), and Univ. NE Lincoln for 1 more year. After three years of playing blazin' accented 16th notes without a real rudiment or dynamic in sight, I was done with college drumline.

Since I marched DC I've been fortunate to earn a meager income by working with numerous high schools around the metro Omaha area (a coulple of the best in the state, and a couple of the far-less-than-best), and teaching private lessons.

In the last 2 years I've put my fast single strokes and ability to play complex flam passages to use by playing with the Omaha Pipes & Drums. Highland drumming has re-ignited my interest in learning more about drumming and expanding my horizons. Besides, where else can a 30 something year old guy put on a snare and ram notes down an audience's throat.

My re-ignited interest has led me to this great site. To all you young players on these forums, appreciate and utilize the resourses laid out before you. The information and the peers you will encounter here will help you go as far as you are willing to push yourself. There is no limit.

Keep the beat,
NCB

"Just when you think you got it figured out, think again..."
-MAC
Drum Corps fan since the 80's
Marched in the 90's
21st Century lot lizard

AjaxHammer Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:55 pm

NEBeats wrote:Hi, I'm Nate Bolay

I live in Omaha, Nebraska where I have lived most all of my life. I started drumming in 1988 with a private drum teacher by the name of Steve Thomas (311 fans may have heard of him). Steve did me 2 great favors. First he taught me how to read well and insisted on rudiment learning. Second, he loaned me some DCI vids. My course was set.

I marched snare drum in high school for three years and was a drum major for one year. After I graduated in 95 I was ready to spend the money I'd saved for a few years. After a swing and a miss at a BK camp, Nick Angelis suggested I check out a drum corps where his buddy from 95 BK was going to be teaching. I found my way to Cedar Rapids, IA the next month and became a member of Nite Express D&BC. I had the luck of learning from guys like Mike McIntosh, and Kris Hartmann who brought Velocity stroking from his experience at BK with Queen and Angelis. The corps ran out of money that year and so did I. Regrettably, I did not tour again. Thankfully, I came home with chops I'd never imagined.

I went on to be a member of the Univ. NE Omaha drumline for 2 years, (section leader for 1yr), and Univ. NE Lincoln for 1 more year. After three years of playing blazin' accented 16th notes without a real rudiment or dynamic in sight, I was done with college drumline.

Since I marched DC I've been fortunate to earn a meager income by working with numerous high schools around the metro Omaha area (a coulple of the best in the state, and a couple of the far-less-than-best), and teaching private lessons.

In the last 2 years I've put my fast single strokes and ability to play complex flam passages to use by playing with the Omaha Pipes & Drums. Highland drumming has re-ignited my interest in learning more about drumming and expanding my horizons. Besides, where else can a 30 something year old guy put on a snare and ram notes down an audience's throat.

My re-ignited interest has led me to this great site. To all you young players on these forums, appreciate and utilize the resourses laid out before you. The information and the peers you will encounter here will help you go as far as you are willing to push yourself. There is no limit.

Keep the beat,
NCB

"Just when you think you got it figured out, think again..."
-MAC
Hi Nate. =)
welcome to the forums? haha

Icarus Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:32 am

What's Up everybody!

My name is Alex. I'm 21 years old living in Brea, CA. I attend the University of Redlands majoring in History and minoring in Music-Percussion Performance. I've been drumming for 8 years now. I can play all things percussion (including all the African Instruments most people can barely pronounce.) I love performing and playing snare (although lately I've been playing tenors due to poor left hand technique.)

Past/Current Performing Groups:
Brea-Olinda HS: Marching Band, Jazz Band, Drumline
University of Redlands: Wind Ensemble, Orchestra, Percussion Ensemble
Summit HS: Drumline (Instructor)
Incognito: Drumline, Drum and Bugle Corps

Any Q's or whatever, feel free to PM me!
I love meeting new people who are as passionate as I am about marching percussion.
:D
"Carpe Diem"

Incognito Drum & Bugle Corps
http://incognitodbc.org

Vic Firth Education Team Member
Percussion Arts Society Member
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia - Delta Pi

teh_Guardian Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:31 am

I got some literature from Univ of Redlands, how is there Percussion program?
Here we are, talking band!

AjaxHammer Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:45 am

ok. well since everyone posted intros i think i should too even though ive been a member for like a month already.

ok will my name is neil, i am 14 years old. I just finished my 8th grade year at T.A. Howard Middle School in mansfield TX. (look out for that name if you do concert band in texas because i think we have a good chance of winning state honor band this year) and i am a percussionist, playing for about three years now. (since beginner class in 6th grade)

I will be a freshman at Mansfield Legacy Highschool. And i made the snare line there.

my only marching experience is freshman camp, where all we did was march forward, backward, and tracked to excersizes. =/

Icarus Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:46 pm

The percussion program is decent for a Private University. All the percussionist hang out all the time and we have an amazing private teacher, Bill Schlitt who subs for the LA Phil...

The only problem I think with the Redlands Percussion Program is that it is very concert percussion based, although there is a marching percussion group in the works that my friends and I are trying to start up. So since its very classical/concert based, the emphasis is mainly on mallets/timpani (and since those are my weakest percussion instruments, I am improving quickly!)

Although marching percussion isn't a focus at the University, the campus is still located in the ever so popular Southern Cali' where one can easily join one of the many independent line located nearby (RCC is literally 10 min. away, no traffic...)

Hope this helps!
:D
"Carpe Diem"

Incognito Drum & Bugle Corps
http://incognitodbc.org

Vic Firth Education Team Member
Percussion Arts Society Member
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia - Delta Pi

BigPenguin Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:20 am

wassup? im travis. been playing for 8 years. i go to a local community college and play in their line (snare). I'm going to try my absolute best to march corp this coming summer. Although, I'm not sure which corp I'll go to. I have no prior corp experience, so as long as I march and play, I'll be straight!

vivi767 Offline

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:38 pm

Greetings! My name is Raul Lozada. I am currently a junior at AB Miller High School and I play tenors there. I am also with Impulse drum and Bugle corps this summer playing in the pit as an auxilary percussionist. I'm 16 years old. I had only seriously got into the drum corps scene a little more than a year ago when the events described here http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_i ... 621038c747 and here http://www.marchingarts.com/cgi-bin/new ... record=606 and now i am dedicated to aging out at the Blue Devils. Hopefully, my marching experience will be long and educational as well as fun and i hope to meet some new people!

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:38 am

holy crap! You're Raul! I'm totally jealous of you meeting Scott Johnson like that! I hope you do age out at BD!
CorpsVets 08' - Pit
Memphis Sound 09' - Snare
University of North Alabama 09' 10' - Snare
University of North Alabama - 11' 13'- Quads
Gateway Indoor 11' - Quads

astellmt26 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:23 pm

Hi everyone. My name is Max Astell

I started my drumming career in fifth grade. I was given a bass drum mallet and told to keep time. It sucked. after two years of that I quit with a growing hate or drums. My eighth grade year my parents bought me a drumset. I was excited because I'd always wanted one and it was an instrument that involved everything, not just quarter notes on one hand. I went into high school and got put on the snare line. It wasn't competitive at all. Nobody cared about marching. It was all about drumset. I really enjoyed my time on the snare and in my junior year I exploded onto the drumset scene. I was as good as the other best drummer (also my closest friend at school) in the band. Neither of us could read but we worked well together on drums and really loved what we were doing. My senior year I got a little better than him and gained an interest in marching, just because it was fun. I had gone to drum corps all of my life watching shows but never thought much of it other than percussion was cool. So back to senior year. I wanted to do something really hard that would get my chops built up and be fun at the same time. I asked my instructor and he said tornado. I learned traditional grip and went to town. I got first at state solo and ensemble and kept playing. Now I'm just working to be a better drummer in hopes of being on the scouts snare line or the capital sound snare line. I went way too far into detail. There you have it.

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:00 pm

astellmt26 wrote:Hi everyone. My name is Max Astell

I started my drumming career in fifth grade. I was given a bass drum mallet and told to keep time. It sucked. after two years of that I quit with a growing hate or drums. My eighth grade year my parents bought me a drumset. I was excited because I'd always wanted one and it was an instrument that involved everything, not just quarter notes on one hand. I went into high school and got put on the snare line. It wasn't competitive at all. Nobody cared about marching. It was all about drumset. I really enjoyed my time on the snare and in my junior year I exploded onto the drumset scene. I was as good as the other best drummer (also my closest friend at school) in the band. Neither of us could read but we worked well together on drums and really loved what we were doing. My senior year I got a little better than him and gained an interest in marching, just because it was fun. I had gone to drum corps all of my life watching shows but never thought much of it other than percussion was cool. So back to senior year. I wanted to do something really hard that would get my chops built up and be fun at the same time. I asked my instructor and he said tornado. I learned traditional grip and went to town. I got first at state solo and ensemble and kept playing. Now I'm just working to be a better drummer in hopes of being on the scouts snare line or the capital sound snare line. I went way too far into detail. There you have it.
That's a nice story, I have a similar background....remember, there's been plenty of people who have been drumming seriously on a marching drum since before their freshman year in high school. You have to be a head of the curve and practice every day. Don't give up! You can do it bro!
CorpsVets 08' - Pit
Memphis Sound 09' - Snare
University of North Alabama 09' 10' - Snare
University of North Alabama - 11' 13'- Quads
Gateway Indoor 11' - Quads

thaiguy20fromla Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:21 pm

err, i never really introduced myself...

i'm nathan, i'm 16 years old, a senior this year...

my first instrument was piano, which i started learning when i was around 4 or 5 years old. my piano teacher (also my former preschool teacher) took me in as a prodigy and taught me for free after a while, when i entered middle school. in middle school, i joined band, playing the trombone. i was first chair all my three years there, i played in the jazz band, and was drum major my eighth grade year.

to be honest, i was rather cocky back then.

then in high school, i got introduced to drum corps soon after my first field show season. my band director was pushing me to join blue devils baritone line before my senior year or after i graduate. i just remember how much emotion was expressed on the field through the music, and how intense each performance was. most importantly, i thought the drumlines were badass.

so, i spent my sophomore field show season marching trombone again, also watching dci drumline videos on youtube, just in awe at their badass-ness, just there wondering why. then, it was announced that the winter percussion ensemble would be created. the drum instructor and i talked to each other and he wanted me to play marimba, because of my piano background. i said i wanted to play snare. sure enough, i made it onto snareline. he pretty much referred to me as "the guy who learned to play snare in two weeks".

that season, we started out with four snares. the number then diminished to two, as one had to take senior lab, and the other was inelligible because of detentions. and yet, we had the cleanest snare line in the circuit we were in (honestly, wasn't really that great). i would practice as much as i can at home, playing stuff i found on the internet. i worked my chops as much as i could, struggling, then learning how to do flam accents, and staggering to learn flam drags and cheeses and the like. i never really cleaned them up until early field show season my junior year.

junior year, i was center snare by default. i was rather uncomfortable about it, because i felt like i was a bit of an outsider. but, i fit in, and that was the best fall drumline our school has had in its history. winter season, i was center again, and the line ended up in first place at our winter percussion circuit's championships.

i wanted to do drum corps starting the summer before my senior year (now), but my focus on music drained focus from ap classes. i ended up getting a D in english, and now i have to retake it. i was going to do incognito (i went to like one or two of their rehearsals, starting when they were starting to learn drill), but then my mom said i had to focus on getting into college.

this season, we're looking at having one of the best drumlines in southern california, to be honest. however, there's been a turn of events lately, biggest being our band director leaving. but, we're continuing to practice.

i aspire to age out in blue devils. but, for next season, i'm going to audition for vanguard. if my parents don't let me, i'll find some way to raise the audition fees and money for a ride to santa clara. vanguard and BD are my two favorite lines.

so yeah, i guess that ends my reminiscing.

drummerkidd12 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

hi

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:06 pm

My name is jorge im from Inglewod, California i used to march in a bugle corps band for 2 years in beverly hills, then i moved to inglewood and i had to switch to show style band its really hard to change from corps marching to show style marching but its cool . right now im going to audition for the cadets cause my brother was in the cadets
BHS- PIT
BHS- SNARE
BHS- 3 BASS
BHS- CENTER SNARE
IHS- BASS
IHS-SNARE

"If you arent having fun your doing it wrong!" -ScoJo

LMFAO DRUM STICKS LMFAO

pr0k Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:01 pm

I never noticed this topic :O

anyways, I'm Devon Reid Kinnard, 15 years of age as of June 7th
my drumming career started the summer before my freshman year, I tried out for bass going into high school just so my brother would stop getting onto me about it
I wasn't in band, or had made any sort of music prior to that, and made 4th bass
I beat out 5 or 6 incoming freshman(and a junior from the trumpet line :O ) for that spot, somehow
probably because the techs kinda liked my brother
but anyways, I had no idea what I was getting into, I didn't know it was going to take up this much of my life, and I'm really glad it
I tried out for tenors 2nd semester, and was actually offered a spot, but I couldn't find someone to replace me on bass
I also didn't even think I was actually ready
so I tried out again for this year, made it, here we are
the tech that gave me the spot here quit at the beginning of band camp
and both the techs we have left told me I don't deserve this spot(I honestly agree with them), and that I better work hard if I want to keep if next semester
and so far, they don't think I'm doing a good job
if I would've stayed on bass, I'd be playing #2, section leader
if I switch back next semester(which I'm seriously thinking about), I'd probably be #1 instead
oh well

oh hey, I went off on something else
anyways, I'm 5'9", 125 lbs, blonde hair, blue eyes
I'm good!

perk Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:08 pm

Hey all, I've been a lurker on here for a while but I finally signed up. My name is Perkins but everyone in line calls me Perk.I have been drumming for 5 years but I started to actually practice in the last year. I am in the Francis Howell marching band and Winter drumline. This is my second year in marching band, in both drumline and marching band I have played auxillary in pit. This year I play both auxillary and snare (snare only in the 1st and 3rd song of our show). well....I'll talk to ya'll later I guess.

SkyhawkDrummer Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:12 pm

Hello,
My name is Enrique but people call me Keke. I'm 15 years old and I'm a sophomore at Summit Hs. I started playing in 6th grade but I didn't become serious about drumming until my freshman year. I play bass drum for my high school band but I just made the snare line for Incognito...and well here I am..Peace!
I Bleed Blue.