Welcome and introductions

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

idlewhisper Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Welcome and introductions

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Yeah. I kinda figured that. But can't blame him. He's the one that got me really wanting to persue percussion and get better at it.
2010 LEHS Instructor - Bass
2011 LEHS Perc. Tech.
2012 LEHS Perc. Instructor

How'd you get your beans above your frank?

DrummingHawk Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Hello Friends! :P

My name is Jordan Bible and I'm a freshman at Hardin Valley Academy in Knoxville, TN. Currently I am a member of the Front Ensemble(Pit), in which I play the vibes. I have taken part in this percussion program for one and a half years(I did indoor as an eighth grader).
I have joined this forum to gain some advice and tips for marching snare. I'm interested in trying out for snare next year. I've already talked to my teacher and he has told me to get a private teacher and join a forum(which I have here).
Also, I can add to the front ensemble section of this forum, I believe.

All in all, That's it for now!

Thanks, The DrummingHawk.
Thanks, The DrummingHawk
BSBottom5 wrote:stand naked outside her dorm with your snare on, and in the stickbacks have a whip and some handcuffs... and play shot on a hand until she comes out.
My New Blog,
http://theopenspotter.wordpress.com

Ken Tabor Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:32 pm

Hey,

My name is Ken Tabor. I live in Austin, TX originally from Spring, TX. I marched snare drum for 3 years in highschool. I then went to "The Commandant's Own Marine Drum and Bugle Corps". I always wished I went to DCI after I graduated Highschool, but I'm glad I earned the title Marine. My home is RudimentalDrumming.com, but I wanted to come over here and be apart of this community as well. I think Optsyn is an Admin here and goes back and forth as well.

I just started posting youtube videos with all the visuals I've learned over the years and now I'm starting to throw down some notes. My goal is to help people get to the level I was able to attain, and I just generally enjoy drumming and sharing it with everyone.

Keep Drummin!
Want to learn some cool stick tricks?
Check out my Youtube Channel
http://youtube.com/s1lv3rdo7

percphreak Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:40 pm

Salmon
Last edited by percphreak on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMEA North West Regional Junior Honor Band-Principal Percussionist
Dark Sky Percussion 2010-Pit
Coconino High School Marching Band 2011/2012-Center Snare
Coconino High School Symphonic Band 2011/2012-Principal Percussionist
AMEA North West Regional Honor Band 2011/2012-Principal Timpanist
AMEA All State Honor Orchestra 2012-Section Percussionist
http://www.youtube.com/user/PercPhreak?feature=mhee

SwissArmyTriplet Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:34 pm

Am I the only one joining this forum since Oct. 2010? ... Anyways...

Hi,

My name is David. I'm 24 and live in Basel, Switzerland. I play the "Basel drum" since I'm 6 and got interested in snare drumming when I saw a DCI video on youtube a few years ago. I have recently decided to learn more about it and found this awesome forum.

Ummm... yeah. I don't know what else to write so If you have any questions feel free to ask! :)

Thanks,
David

G-spot Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:29 am

Hello all.

This is Greg Jackson from Columbus, Ohio.

I marched snare for Marion Harding High School in Marion, Ohio from 1989-1992.

Taught there from 1993-2004.
Taught at Mt. Gilead High School, Westerville South High School (current), Otterbein College.

Started up Level Seven Percussion (PIO & PIA) (defunct) in 2007.

I marched snare drum for the Reading Buccaneers in 2005, 2006, & 2007.

I love the snare drum. The notes are like heaven to me.

I am a Project Manager at M+A Architects in Columbus, Ohio - and am looking forward to the day we design and build an indoor drumline facility specifically designed for that purpose and nothing else. Anybody have the capital?

:)
Reading Buccaneers Snare
2005-2007

Novak Offline

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:27 pm

G-spot wrote:Hello all.

This is Greg Jackson from Columbus, Ohio.

I marched snare for Marion Harding High School in Marion, Ohio from 1989-1992.

Taught there from 1993-2004.
Taught at Mt. Gilead High School, Westerville South High School (current), Otterbein College.

Started up Level Seven Percussion (PIO & PIA) (defunct) in 2007.

I marched snare drum for the Reading Buccaneers in 2005, 2006, & 2007.

I love the snare drum. The notes are like heaven to me.

I am a Project Manager at M+A Architects in Columbus, Ohio - and am looking forward to the day we design and build an indoor drumline facility specifically designed for that purpose and nothing else. Anybody have the capital?

:)
I'm from the Cleveland area. Expect a PM from me sometime about Buccaneers. I've been down there for auditions before, but couldn't march because I had auditions and such for the different colleges of musical arts. But I plan on going down again for snare within the next couple of years.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Andrew Novak
All Hail LQ

malletbuster Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:14 am

Ken Tabor wrote:Hey,

My name is Ken Tabor. I live in Austin, TX originally from Spring, TX. I marched snare drum for 3 years in highschool. I then went to "The Commandant's Own Marine Drum and Bugle Corps". I always wished I went to DCI after I graduated Highschool, but I'm glad I earned the title Marine. My home is RudimentalDrumming.com, but I wanted to come over here and be apart of this community as well. I think Optsyn is an Admin here and goes back and forth as well.

I just started posting youtube videos with all the visuals I've learned over the years and now I'm starting to throw down some notes. My goal is to help people get to the level I was able to attain, and I just generally enjoy drumming and sharing it with everyone.

Keep Drummin!
'Tabor' is easily the perfect last name for a snaredrummer, you be a boss.

I'm Tyler Whitney
I'm from all over the states, but my dad just retired Army and now we're settled in Beijing. I got into snare drumming after I did pit earlier this year to appease my friend after sucking at drumline audition, I had no idea what I was doing. Now, thanks in part to this site, I am a boss, but now since there are absolutely no drumlines, percussion ensembles, etc, I have to channel through pep band. Ugh.
Bass; Hey, pit kid, get me water
Pit kid; My name is GET YOUR OWN FRIKIN WATER
Colorguard; Hey pit, be louder
Pit kid; DANCE
My opinions reflect directly upon any and all groups I am associated with, particularly of the Chinese government and NASA

scdrummer14 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:57 pm

Hey guys my name is Patrick. I am 15 years old and I live in Fairfax Station, VA. I am a freshman at South County Secondary School in Lorton, VA. I've been playing drums since 7th grade. During the fall i played in the pit for the school marching band and in the winter i played in the pit for the indoor drumline (we just got back from Dayton at 5 this morning). My goal is to march in a world class drumline or to play in GMU's drumline. I guess that's all I have to say :mrgreen:
South County Marching Stallions
10-11 Pit
11-12 Pit
12-13 Bass 4

South County Indoor Drumline
2011 Pit
2012 Cymbals

schorsquatch wrote:In addition to the snare drum, I play the snare drum rim.
"Don't do dumb things"-Alan Johnson, Former Band Director at South County High '05-'11

pablodurando Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:24 pm

MY NAME IS OMAR AND I PLAY DRUMS!
that is all

orchdork0295 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:52 pm

Hey everyone. My name is Joe. I've been lurking around this site for quite a while, so I finally decided to introduce myself. I'm a sophomore at North Atlanta High School. I've played violin since 5th grade and tuba since 6th grade. Recently I became interested in playing percussion. I am in a percussion class in my school and hope to be on the drum line next year as well as a percussionist in symphonic band. In the near future, I would like to start working on music theory and composing. I plan on music being a life long hobby.
Meade Senior High School: '09-'10: Tuba
North Atlana High School: '10-'11: Tuba
??? High School : '11-'12: Hopefully Bass Drum

Odin Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:34 am

Argh, me name be Odin! Or Shawn, whichever you prefer! I'm a college grad, currently working as a geologist in the Northeast. Played snare in my college marching band and regularly attended DCI camps for fun. I'm a big science nerd and promoter and still regularly chop out on my new invader pad whenever possible. That's really about it for me ^_^
-Odin aka Bailesie
[Drummer and Defender of Science]

tenordude Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:38 pm

Hey guys! I'm Jesse, I'm 16 and I've been a percussionist for five years (about to be six) and I go to Cinco Ranch High School. As lame and cliche as it sounds, I fell in love with tenors, marching, DCI, WGI etc. at the beginning of my sophomore year. I'm working as hard as i can to try to make a drum corps before I graduate high school. I just want to learn and drum and yeah haha :D Oh and I joined this forum to meet other drummers and learn from them and just chill with people that have the same passion as me. so yeah! Pm if you ever have anything to teach because i'm willing to learn!
Novak wrote:Man up and go play drums.

WHSnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi, my name is Parker, I enjoy snare drumming. I don't play snare drum that often in class but when I do, my director is impressed. I'm in 7th grade so no line yet. My highschool does not have a line but I intend on eventually auditioning for a corps. I end up starting alot of stuff without meaning it. Really I mean to just add some fun, and someone takes it too seriously. I am always looking forward to learning new tricks and tips for drumming.

My youtube channel is in my sig, so check it. Subscribe for weekly/bi-weekly progress.
awakentosleep wrote:Yeah, but it was sort of like the Americas before Columbus: just a bunch of uncultured savages running around killing each other, smoking peyote, and eating dirt.
I drum sometimes, but I'm no good.

YouTube

iDrum Offline

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:24 pm

Novak wrote:I'm from the Cleveland area.
Cleveland? Sweet. I'm from Cleveland.

TheDoctor Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:31 pm

:D Hi, my name is Azucena 'Doc' Novelo (Doc because I tend to be the one everyone goes to for first aid advice and I also am one big unfortunate event after another)

I started out as an orch dork, got too boring, joined band on flute, too boring, played tenor sax, too boring, and finally found my true calling in the line of drums that we call Drumline at my highschool last year(10th grade)

Bass drum moving to tenors soon, YAY!

Anywho, that's me. I play snare when we're waiting for uniform inspection and bus arrival which is fun because snare battles with my friends are hilarious(I never win, boo)
"No one has their drill papers? BS it."

And in the end... only one tenors person made it out alive...

ZJSchlegel Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi, my name is Zac Schlegel and I'm from Slatington, Pennsylvania. I am currently a freshman and I have been in my highschool's drumline for 2 years going on 3. I play the tenors.
Northern Lehigh HS
2009 (Tenors) Shades
2010 (Tenors/Pit) Vesuvius
2011 (Tenors) Exceptional
2012 (Snare) Nightfall Capers

iDrum Offline

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Welcome to Snarescience guys! If you have any questions feel free to ask us, but before you do try using the Search Menu because your question(s) might have been asked and answered already. There's PLENTY of helpful information on here to help you become a better percussionist. So don't be a stranger because you're officially a part of the S.S. family! :D

nochops94 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:25 am

My name is Joseph. I'm from Miami, Florida. I'm 17 and I'm a junior (soon to be senior cuz schools almost over) at Miami Killian high school. I started drumming in 7th grade but didn't take it seriously till the end of 8th grade so I guess that's really when I started. I got into rudimental drumming in the middle of 9th grade and I haven't stopped since. I'm also getting my first corps experience this summer in DCA and my all time goal is to march snare for Phantom Regiment. :D
MKHS 08-12

DCA
Tampa Bay Thunder '11, '12- snare
WGI
Aquarius Percussion [PIA] '12- snare
Marcato Independent Percussion '15 [PIO]- snare

ol' heavy eyes Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:38 pm

Hello,
My name is John. I've been lurking for a little over a year but finally made an account about two weeks ago. I play snare in my high school marching band. I spend about half of time at home learning new licks and whatnot. I have been working really hard to better myself as a drummer and I plan on posting some videos to hopefully get some feedback from you guys on what else I can do to improve. Anything helps! It won't hurt to tell me I suck. I would love to be an instructor one day and this would probably make it a bit easier to do so if I here some analogies or ways of looking at things differently. That's the main reason I'm here. Have a good one!

LilPurpQuads Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:53 am

Yo. I'm Petey. I'm currently a sophomore in college and I play quads. Last fall was my first year of marching quads. I plan to stick with quads throughout college. I was center snare in 2010 and drum line section leader. CLASS OF 2010!!! Anyways I played Bass 2 in '09 first marching season... Bass 1 in winter of '06 and winter of '07... I spend most of my time with my gf<3:D and practicing anything with marching percussion and some drum set playing.
Manzano HS
'06/07 Fall: Pit
'06/07 Winter: Bass 1
'07/08 Fall: Pit
'07/08 Winter: Bass 1
'08/09 Fall: Bass 2
'09/10 Fall: Center Snare/Drumline Section Leader

University of New Mexico
'10/11 Fall: Quads
'11/12 Fall: Quads

NM Adrena-line:
'11/12 Winter: Quads Captain
'12/13 Winter: Quads Captain

Pad Hands Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:20 pm

Hello! My name is Trice. I am from west TN, and I like to play all percussion, not really just snare or mallets. I hope to someday audition for The Cadets, MCDC, or MCM. I always do my best to improve and I really love music. I am going to be a junior in high school this fall. I will also probably be on the drumline playing snare this year. I really love this site!
All-west TN Jr. High Honor Band 09-10 Gold Band
All-west TN Sr. High Honor Band 10-11 Blue Band
All-west TN Sr. High Wind Ensemble 11-12
All-west TN Sr. High Honor Band 12-13 Blue Band
UTM Honor Band 11-12
UTM Honor Band 12-13
UTM Honor Percussion Ensemble 11-12
UTM Honor Percussion Ensemble 12-13
Performed with the Dallas Brass
Music City Drum Corps - 2011 Rack

LaKings2012 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:39 pm

I kind of realized recently that I have posted quite a bit on here, yet nobody knows who I am. My name is Greg Deinlein, originally from California, but currently living in Kentucky. I have marched two marching band seasons playing snare, and two indoor seasons playing snare, and I started seriously drumming about halfway through my freshmen year. I have been a member for quite a while, and I can honestly say that the friendly people here have been super helpful and informative, and have made me a better snurr drummer!
Roaminggnome4 wrote:Ducktape, baseball bat, metronome.

Ducktape him to a wall, hit him
tommyservo7 wrote: Everyone deserves to have fun. Clean or not.

DrumMirokiDrum Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:09 am

LaKings2012 wrote:I kind of realized recently that I have posted quite a bit on here, yet nobody knows who I am. My name is Greg Deinlein, originally from California, but currently living in Kentucky. I have marched two marching band seasons playing snare, and two indoor seasons playing snare, and I started seriously drumming about halfway through my freshmen year. I have been a member for quite a while, and I can honestly say that the friendly people here have been super helpful and informative, and have made me a better snurr drummer!
are you that guy from cornerstone?
http://www.facebook.com/drumjonathandrum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gold 2009 Snare
SDSU 2011 Snare
SDSU 2012 Snare

CleanBeats94 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:52 am

!Hola, me llamo Charles!
Tengo 17 anos y I don't really speak alot of spanish.
Anyway, I'm from Illinois, but I was born and raised in Louisville, Kentucky. I started playing percussion in 6th grade and I'll be center for my HS this year.
Eastern High School
2008 Bass- Visions
2009 Snare- Echoes Reflected
2010 Snare- A Concert
2011 Center Snare- Rite of the Equinox