Welcome and introductions

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

doublebassheeltoe Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:57 pm

That is for The Cadets to know, and us to want to know.

My guess is "Quad Boys" because I don't think they've ever had a female in the quad line.
There's no way around reality, and there's no way to fix things that have already happened. It is what it is, we are what we are, and there is nothing more to life than that. Rule #9.

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:45 pm

doublebassheeltoe wrote:That is for The Cadets to know, and us to want to know.

My guess is "Quad Boys" because I don't think they've ever had a female in the quad line.
oh, I had no clue it was something like SUTA or SPLOOIE or Bones (well bones isn't that much of a secret). I don't like finding things like that out, I might be curious but It's not my place to know, just like when I get into Phantom I'll find out the TRUE meaning of SUTA :D
CorpsVets 08' - Pit
Memphis Sound 09' - Snare
University of North Alabama 09' 10' - Snare
University of North Alabama - 11' 13'- Quads
Gateway Indoor 11' - Quads

BRsnare09 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:41 pm

Hey,

My name's carlton. I play snare at Bridgewater Raritan in New Jersey. We do mostly BOA stuff as well as the major USSBA shows in the area.

Freshman year i didnt try out and really regretted it.

Sophomore year i made snare, I believe i was the third rookie at the time to make snare. Pretty cool i guess. That year was really rough. But we went undefeated in drums, except for our first show. And won a BOA regional class championship.

Junior year (this year) i marched snare again. Much easier on my mind and body this time around. I was a leader on the line, and it was a whole different world. This year's show was crazy hard and had a book modeling many corps (teal, surf) our caption tech's teal. We did really well at our BOA regionals and won Overall NJ State Championships. Pretty cool.

Marching in one of the best bands in the country, somewhat, is something i'm thankful for every day. So there's my long drawn out introduction.

I also hope to be auditioning for the snare line at surf within the next two seasons.
DCI:
2008, 09, 10, 11

rudlka89 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:52 pm

Bridgewater?! NICE...I'm in NJ too, but I marched in crappy old Hamilton West. LOL. But Bridgewater is my favorite band/drumline in Jersey...I'd always stay late to watch you and other other group 6 opens march at competitions. Is your show Exotica this year? BTW, Joe Espienera taught at my school for a while lol

BRsnare09 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:56 pm

nice man. Joe's the man. He's goin out for cadets this year. he tech'd us this year with charlie.

You liked this year's show? It was amazing to march, the book was crazy. were you the kid that was with him at our TCNJ warmup in 06?

edit, just saw you asked if that was our show. yes we played exotica.

http://www.youtube.com/user/senatekiller39 there's a video of the whole show on there and a drumline highlights thing if you wanna see the show.
DCI:
2008, 09, 10, 11

rudlka89 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:59 pm

nah i wasn't that guy...i march at rutgers though...it's pretty cool and all but i want a true corps experience. the biggest achievement i am shooting for is marching in cadets on bass or snare, doesn't really matter to me. but yeah i saw the show and the book truly is great, the bass book is probably my favorite. btw do you use pearl carbonplys? how are they? i was thinking about buying one..

BRsnare09 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:16 pm

yes we march carbon ply's. the snares are really nice. very crisp and tight with the sound. but it isnt as choked as you'd expect with the extra carbon. the tenors sound different, i'm not too sold on them. and the basses sound sick with a good tuning and muffling job.
DCI:
2008, 09, 10, 11

clay.cottis Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:26 pm

Off topic.

QB = Quads of Bergen.

Cool.

-Clay
Clay Cottis
Elements IPE '04 - drumset
Dutch Boy DBC '07 - snare

tk_TemPoRarY Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:07 pm

oh haha I didn't know snarescience had an introduction section

anyways I'm Tommy from Stone Bridge High School in Ashburn VA
I've picked up my first drumsticks in 5th grade, and I was pretty much a set-only player back then
but I got to high school this year, and all the influences of band camp led me to my love for drumlines.
I was in the pit this season, and I'm hoping to make tenors next year.
although, I'll probably end up going back to the pit the next year or the year after.
I hope to learn a lot from the forums, have good conversations, and build chops from the snarescience exercises.

Stone Bridge Marching Bulldogs Drumline
07-08 pit (mallets)
08-09 center tenors

Tommy Kim

kpsnare Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:29 pm

hey im kristi patrickus
i live in camdenton, mo and go to camdenton high school
i've been playing since 5th grade and joined the band in 7th
i marched snare as of 2007 and plan on playing all though high school
as of now i am the snare player our senoir center snare wants to run our drumline next year (beating out 2 senoirs!)
our drumline compeated in the mozingo drumline festival in st. louis this past september for the 1st time and finished 7th outta 24.
our band is considered to be in the top 3 in our state.
our drumline was in the top 5 at the end of the season.
the instructor for our drumline is alisha baur and dci blue star bass player tom panollio (i think i spelt that right)
camdenton high school drumline 2007-2010
2007-snare-Icarus: To close to the sun
2008-snare- Beyond Perimeters
2009-center snare-Ninja?!
2010-center snare-???
BOA super regionals, st. louis- 23rd, first time

ghostsnare101 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:24 am

Hey im michael but my friends call me Estep cuz my last name. I played baritone in my freshman year. I then moved away and came back and then my band director just put me on a bass drum because we were missing one. I then fell in love with drums and i was really good at it. I played bass drum this year for marching band and now we are in winter percussion season. I auditioned for snare and got it. We play matchstick but lately i have been learning and practicing traditional. thats bassically all me...
Columbia City High School

2006 - Confinment - Baritone
2007 - Through and Through - Bass drum one
2008 - The Hunt - Baritone
2009 - Fusion - Snare
2010 - Heritage Independent Percussion - Bass Drum 3

Kietey Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:26 pm

Greetings!

Hi, my name is Jason Givens
Im from CHicago, Illinois.
I started in a show-style band but moved to corps style as that approach really wasn't for me. I'd rather have my chops show off for me.
I have marched with Green Thunder Percussion under the cavaliers. Heh there are a few vids of us playing Bunco Rules on Youtube, I'm the last kid on the right side. Though I am not with them atm the moment for monetary reasons. Hopefully I'll pick back up sometime soon with GTP and move on to the cavaliers.

Please introduce yourself!
Couchmen | 2010 (RealFeel)
Racine Scouts | 2009 (Snare) Open Class
Cavaliers | 2009 (Snare) (Callback)
Green Thunder Percussion | 2006 - 2007 (Snare)

littlesnareboy Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:27 am

PhantomPhan89 wrote:
doublebassheeltoe wrote: I plan on auditioning for QB 2009
Excuse me, I always see that 'QB' , but what does that stand for Quad B___?
If you've ever read the Q-bible (can be found somewhere on this site in the tenor section http://www.drumlines.org ) Mike Stevens says the Cadets tenor line will from then on be called the QB short for the Quads of Bergen county
Chris
SLD 05 Plates Music of Styx
SLD 06 Plates Music of the Moody Blues
SLD 07 Snare (finally) A Latin Experience
SLD 08 Center Snare La Nouba
Carolina Gold 07 Snare Deja Vu

sb3drummer Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:33 pm

littlesnareboy wrote:
PhantomPhan89 wrote:
If you've ever read the Q-bible (can be found somewhere on this site in the tenor section http://www.drumlines.org ) Mike Stevens says the Cadets tenor line will from then on be called the QB short for the Quads of Bergen county
I have that. Pretty interesting stuff.

Mike_L Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:50 am

Hey, I'm new here. My name is Mike and I'm 17 and I'm playing snare on my schools drumline for the first year.. (whoo, finally) I'm improving alot but I really want to get better and be the best I can be.

I don't know how often I'll be around here but I'll be here from time to time.
Oregon Crusaders 09 - Bass 4
University of Oregon Marching Band 09, 10, 11 - Snare
OC Indoor 10 (Bronze PIO), 11 (PIW FINALIST) - Snare

Diaz Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:03 am

Hey Guys

I'm Eric Diaz, currently a UConn freshman and member of the snareline. Marched three years competetive high school on bass, quints, and snare at Roxbury High School, NJ. We played matched, but I learned traditional during my senior year to sucessfully audition for Uconn's snareline. I'm really picking it up quick and things are great. I'm currently 18, going to be turning 19 in april.

Looking to audition for a corp, hopes of cadets/cavies/phantom maybe when I'm 21.

Nice to meet you all.

oldchops Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:00 pm

I need to be more attentive. My first post should have been here. Well for me snare drumming is a part-time hobby. I've been playing on and off, though mainly off, for as long as most of you have been alive. Occasionally, I'll help out a kid or two, but mostly I advise my own kid, and just dabble on a pad on occasion.
Last edited by oldchops on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teh_Guardian Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:25 pm

I know you!

I've commentted on your kid on Youtube. Jay, right?

My account there is InuYashatheGreat. Does that sound familiar?
Here we are, talking band!

rudlka89 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:38 pm

PhantomPhan89 wrote:
LOL it's interesting seeing how nervous and civil we were with each other in the beginning.
NEW BOARD-APPROVED CODE: "Retard" and its variants are now replaced by "SCV." "Homosexual" and its variants, "Phantom." "Go kill yourself" and its variants, "Go watch Phantom Regiment."

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:45 pm

rudlka89 wrote:
PhantomPhan89 wrote:
LOL it's interesting seeing how nervous and civil we were with each other in the beginning.
haha, for the most part I try to remain civil, it's just that I know you guys better now.
CorpsVets 08' - Pit
Memphis Sound 09' - Snare
University of North Alabama 09' 10' - Snare
University of North Alabama - 11' 13'- Quads
Gateway Indoor 11' - Quads

biggymclovins Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:26 pm

I'm Alec Esnough. I am playing bass 5 in the buffalo, MN winter drumline. I really just started drumming this year and am looking forward to learning a lot from this site!

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:34 pm

biggymclovins wrote:I'm Alec Esnough. I am playing bass 5 in the buffalo, MN winter drumline. I really just started drumming this year and am looking forward to learning a lot from this site!
Welcome to the forums Alec! Have I met you before?
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09

biggymclovins Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:31 pm

Thanks! No you probably haven't met me... this is my first year in drumline. I was going to be in it last year but my schedule got in the way and i wasn't able to.

Cadets_Is_For_Lovers Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:51 pm

hey im abby and im from trumbull ct
im a junior and i learned how to play drums last year
i played plates last year for my schools winter line
that year (contrast 2007) we placed 11th in wgi PSO championships and mac open champion this past fall (continuum 2007) i played bass three and we wont MAC Class five champions and ct state chamion with high drums and guard this winter (science of music 2008) i play bass 3 and our line is tight[/] right now we are in PSO in MAC and WGI but we might move up to PSW depending on how our regionals go as for this summer i was going to try out for the 7th regiment (dci open) tenor line but i got a bad bout of apendacitis the day befor try-outs and i couldnt march (let alone tryout for a line) for 6 weeks im hopefully tring out for the cabs tenor line or bass line (depending on how thier line is this year) in 2009 and the cadets bass line in 2010

Tynneh Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:55 am

Hello, i'm Cor from the Netherlands.
I'm an "old" snaredrummer who wants to start playing snare again. Played a lifetime ago (20 years) in a drum and trompets corps in my hometown and a few years in the Dutch military police band. Quited playing because of mariage, back problems and lack of time.
But now that my daughter plays in a corps it started itching again. So, i'm a bit (neh,not a bit but a lot) rusty and need to practice the basics again.
Don't blame me when i ask "stupid" questions, because untill last week i had never heard of paradiddle or drag taps and so on. Its all somewhat new to me. At least one good thing is that you never forget to read the notes.

As i said before, 20 years is a lifetime. :wink:

Greetz