Welcome and introductions

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome and introductions

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:05 pm

Greetings!

I hope that this discussion forum can become a great place for everyone to share their questions, insights and knowledge about snare drumming.

Here is my brief introduction:

I started drum corps in 1998 with Minnesota Brass Inc. (MBI) Senior Drum and Bugle Corps.
I moved on to junior corps and marched with the Madison Scouts in the year 2000.
I marched and taught a few more years at MBI after that.

I recently moved to Thailand and will soon begin teaching the snareline at Siamyth Drum and Bugle Corps,
which I am really excited about. I am a little concerned about the language barrier, but I think I will be able
to teach by 'showing' rather than 'telling' for the most part. :)

Please introduce yourself!
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09

BACCO_ITA Offline
noob
noob

hi!

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:37 am

HI!
this is isaia valeri from italy, i'm sorry for my bad english
i'm 21 yo and my marching career is limited to an italian marching band still in evolution from a normal band.
here the situation is tragic becouse there are no instructor about rudimental druming and some of us try with autoteaching, repearing the autoteaching holes with some clinics during the year.

i'm a fan of this site i think is one of the best about snare technique!

again sorry
AND GO ON!
Isaia Valeri
G.V. DRUMLINE
this is my classic snare, it's owesome

clay.cottis Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:21 am

I'm Clay Cottis.
I'm from sunny Lakeland, Florida.
I started marching snare my freshman year at New Philadelphia high school in New Philadelphia, OH.
I stayed there for two years, and marched in the indoor and outdoor line for 2 years.
I then moved to Lakeland, and marched int eh outdoor line my junior and am now completing my senior year.
In 2004, I played drumset for the Elements Indoor Performance Ensemble, in 2007, I marched the Dutch Boy drum and bugle corps on snare, and I am marching this winter for the 1st Degree on snare.
That's me.
-Clay
Clay Cottis
Elements IPE '04 - drumset
Dutch Boy DBC '07 - snare

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:43 am

My name is Colin Hughes

I started marching band in high school in 10th grade coming from a podunk-nobody-town in Priceville, Alabama. Over the years I started messing around on the internet and found that the informative use of education for being a better drummer was at large. I learned a lot at drummerworld(dotcom) on the drumset and last year (my senior year in high school) I fell in love with DCI, started searching the internet and by January (I think?) I found this website. In one year (starting at the fall of 06') I went from an un-instructed matched grip snare player, to a traditional grip DCI addict who's very confident in his playing and is planning on audition for the Phantom Regiment at the end of this month. I've been practicing almost every day since last year and I couldn't even tell you the amount of hours spent on my practice pad (not just ramming notes, actually practicing. Mirror, sticks, practice pad, book, and metronome!).

I love music. period. from Led Zeppelin to Nina Rota. And that's all I guess ! :D
Last edited by PhantomPhan89 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CorpsVets 08' - Pit
Memphis Sound 09' - Snare
University of North Alabama 09' 10' - Snare
University of North Alabama - 11' 13'- Quads
Gateway Indoor 11' - Quads

idioth791 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:14 pm

Hey guys this is Ned Thompson.
I am currently in my Junior year of high school at Edmond North High School in central Oklahoma. My Freshman year of high school I was in pit, Sophomore year I marched snare, and this year I am center snare. I plan on auditioning for the Crossmen this year and have high hopes of making it. I have been using this site for at least six months now, not only for my personal use, but to pass the info on from this site to the other players around me that are eager to learn!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj-3bsGOn34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DarkShadyTurtle Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:14 pm

¡Hola todos!

I don't really know Spanish. :P Anyway I'm from California, lived here all of my life. Let's see, I played violin in 4th and 5th grade and started taking piano lessons in 5th grade as well. In middle school I went into Band class the first day and my teacher asked everyone what they played. Well when I was called on, I said piano, but my teacher basically just gave me sticks and said "You're in percussion." Well I taught myself how to roll and basically went from there. I found that I loved it and by my 8th grade year I could basically sight read any of the music we got.

My freshman year in high school I was being considered for tenors but finally got placed on top bass. That year was a blast and we got best percussion in the state for our division, but I obviously wanted to play snare so while I was on bass I was also learning a lot of the snare parts for practice and working on traditional grip. Well it paid off and I made snare my sophomore year and it was awesome. Now I'm in my Junior year, still on snare and lovin' it.

I think that's about all, so happy drummin' everyone! :D
HS 05-06 Top Bass
HS 06-07 Snare
HS 07-08 Snare
HS 09 Snare Captain
Pacific Crest '08 Snare
Pacific Crest '12 Snare

DrmmerX Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:10 pm

Is it my turn now? Oh, right. My names Caleb. Im in my junior year of high school, Hooray.

Freshmen year, I got snare with two seniors and a sophomore. The one crappy senior quit before pre-camp, and the sophomore quit right before finals. Lame. So it was me and the center senior, and it was a blast. We got quite a few best percussion trophies (probably because our pit is amazing.)

Winter season, snare again with her and a junior (ew) although we switched to matched grip (yuck). 2nd place at finals, coming from last places the year before I came.

Sophomore year was center snare alongside my friend Alex and now-senior David. Was fun. Some pretty hard music too. Winter percussion, still center, although about 5 or 6 people quit, so a freshmen friend of mine came to snare. 2nd place that year too.

And now this year, finally on tenors with two great guys and amazing players. MidStates finals is tomorrow morning, and Im pumped. Last week, we got the highest score we have ever got at our high school. Many high schools score around 80 or 90 regularly, but for us, this was a big change, and I'm very excited and happy.

I was planning on going to Glassmen's camp this coming holiday weekend, because my two drum instructors told me it would be a great learning activity, and if I were to actually try out for them, I could probably make it (I dont think so, but im modest), but I dont think Im going to be able to now, which really bums me out. But i've still got about 6 more years to look forward to, so hopefully Ill see some of you guys in the future at come corps (Blue Devils baby)

Peace

~Dock~

CheeseDiddleEgg5 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:14 pm

Howdy, ya'll. My name's Alex and I come from Philadelphia, PA (unfortunately for me, this precluded the possibility of ever joining a drumline until college). I'm snare 5 (out of 6) in Temple University's marching band and I'm shooting for center snare next year. I started out on drumset, which is still my one true love, but soon found out about DCI and became obsessed. I would have liked to try to march DCI, but I'm about to age out and college is kicking into high gear.

Nice to meet you all!

music noise Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:15 pm

hey im james im 13

ive been playin guitar for 2 years and the piano for 1 I just recently began to learn the snare drum.

i have hopes of trying out for the band next year in high shcool

flamtap593 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:17 pm

Hey yall, I'm Adam.
I've been playing drums for about 5 or 6 years and I just started high school this year. I march snare on my high school line and will probably play snare or tenors for winterline. I hope to try out for a small time all-age corps like Music City Legend this year. My ultimate goal in life is to be center snare for Phantom because Phantom is amazing. So, yeah, that's pretty much it. Rock on everybody.
BHS Drumline
Snare '07-'08

teh_Guardian Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:34 am

I'm J-Rod. teh_Guardian.

I have been into DBC since 2000, when I went to a Capital Regiment camp in 6th grade.

I tried out for the Canton Bluecoats in 2007, but couldn't march due to school. Damn.

I've been playing drums for 10 years.

My favorite drum corps has always been the Cavaliers and the Madison Scouts. Phantom at a close third.

I go to Bishop Watterson High School in Columbus, Ohio, and I march snare there.

I did rack for the now defunct Level 7 Indoor percussion ensemble, and I planm on marching snare for the new Inertia Indoor Percussion Ensemble. (Tryouts TODAY!!)
Here we are, talking band!

littlesnareboy Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:51 pm

Hey I'm Chris, I'm still in high school so obviously I'm marching snare there. I only made it on snare this year because I went to Carolina Gold drum and bugle corps and learned to be one of the two best snares my high school has ever seen (not to impressive since we're only 3 years old but whatever) and I kicked the senior of the line cause I was just better than her and she never came to practice. I intend to stay with gold one more year then hopefully move up to Crown or the Cadets.
Chris
SLD 05 Plates Music of Styx
SLD 06 Plates Music of the Moody Blues
SLD 07 Snare (finally) A Latin Experience
SLD 08 Center Snare La Nouba
Carolina Gold 07 Snare Deja Vu

InstantEncore Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:46 pm

Hey everyone!

My name is Garrett, from Ventura County in California.

Not a lot of marching experience other than some auditions/workshops I did with Pacific Crest back in 97 and 98 while I was also in my high school band.

Did it all in high school. Drumline, jazz band, choirs, drum major, etc. Spent a year as a percussion major at Cal State Long Beach under the instruction of Dr. Michael Carney. Did it all there too, Jazz band, combos, steel drums, world percussion, orchestra, percussion ensemble etc. Didn't dig what they were having me do so I changed direction. Long story short after a degree in anthropology and 5 bands later I am back to basics, retraining myself as a rudimental snare drummer and incorporating that into my all around playing (drum set).

Nice to see you all here and I look forward to some great discussions.

I also post as instantencore at the blue devils forums, in case anyone happens to be over there.

Marvin Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:08 am

Hey guys, name's Marvin and I've been playing drums for about 11 years now.

I'm from Penang, Malaysia and I'm an instructor for two highschools here. Despite being an instructor, I'm waaaay behind 14 year olds in the USA who can rip out the nastiest drum pieces.

Past Experiences:
Marching for state-level competition
Percussionist for Penang State Orchestra
Percussionist for private events : /

I've never had formal training and learned most of what I know today through personal experience and the Internet (from the people like you here!).

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:13 am

Marvin wrote:Hey guys, name's Marvin and I've been playing drums for about 11 years now.

I'm from Penang, Malaysia and I'm an instructor for two highschools here. Despite being an instructor, I'm waaaay behind 14 year olds in the USA who can rip out the nastiest drum pieces.

Past Experiences:
Marching for state-level competition
Percussionist for Penang State Orchestra
Percussionist for private events : /

I've never had formal training and learned most of what I know today through personal experience and the Internet (from the people like you here!).
Same here! The internet is a vast area of knowledge, most 14 year old kids that can rip those nasty drum pieces are on the internet a lot like me and you. I reccommend you get some books and DVDs though!
CorpsVets 08' - Pit

TheDude Offline
grammar sheriff
grammar sheriff

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:58 pm

Hi, I'm a beginner and have been playing snare drum for a little over 2 years. Pretty much most of the stuff I know is just from doing alot of the internet and youtube. I was kinda taught how to hold the sticks and the 26 NARD rudiments, but I am basically self-taught.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:11 pm

Hey all,

I am Jim and I am from Columbus OH. I am the drum instructor for Bishop Watterson and the director/tenor tech for INERTIA Indoor Percussion. I have been playing drums for about 30 years. Unfortunately I missed out on the opprotunity to march corps due to an idiot band director and me listening to my parents/freinds at the time.

DON'T EVER PASS UP THE OPPROTUNITY TO MARCH!!!!
You only have untill you are 22-ish. College will always be there, friends will always be there, work will always be there, free summers will always be there!!!!

Phantom Regiment Rules!!!!

Anywho i am a tenor player by birth, but dabble in the snare-arts. My horrible traditional left hand is partialy what steered me towards tenors, but I manage to hang for the most part now. I went to college as a percussion major so I can play it all...

I play drums in a band called Go Robot,Go. We have 4 CD's available on iTunes so check it out!! We are like a mix of The Cars, Superchunk, the Beach Boys, and Fugazi with a metal drummer....
I also play bass in a band called Fools Crown and we also have a CD on iTunes. We are like old school hardcore (Minor Threat/Black Flag/Circle Jerks) meets late 80's thrashcore(Anthrax/SOD/Nuclear Assault) at a
Slayer show....
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

rudlka89 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:53 pm

Hello everyone, drum corps is definitely my life - BD, Cadets, and Phantom Regiment are my favorite corps. I currently march bass 4 for Rutgers University and hope to make it in drum corps this summer, be it anywhere from Jersey Surf to the Cadets (hey, anything's possible)...marching percussion for life!

sb3drummer Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:20 pm

Hey I'm Doug. I live in Ashburn, Va. I go to Stone Bridge High School. I've been playing drums for about 3-4 years. This year was my first year of marching...i played 3rd bass. Trying out for snare next year...hopefully i make it...

I've learned most of what I know from the internet too...mainly Ryan and snarescience :].

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:21 pm

sb3drummer wrote:Hey I'm Doug. I live in Ashburn, Va. I go to Stone Bridge High School. I've been playing drums for about 3-4 years. This year was my first year of marching...i played 3rd bass. Trying out for snare next year...hopefully i make it...

I've learned most of what I know from the internet too...mainly Ryan and snarescience :].
stick with us all winter/summer and you'll make that line! Let's make it our personal goal! :D
CorpsVets 08' - Pit

sb3drummer Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:33 pm

haha...gonna be tough. They're are 2 other good players tryin out for the same spot as me. Right now there will be only one snare opening.

Needless to say...im gonna be practicing my butt off these next few months

Opeth115 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:26 am

Hello everyone, I'm a senior at Midland Park high school and will be trying out for the Hawthorne Caballeros this upcoming Sunday. I have been playing drums for like 5 years I think, and I guess that's about all...
Caballeros - bass 4 - 08
http://www.cabs.org/

Dave Harri Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:46 am

I am Dave. I am a music theory major at St. Cloud State University. I plan on going to grad school for choral conducting. I sing alot. I played snare drum in highschool, and marched plates at Minnesota Brass Inc. in 06. I have been teaching around the state of Minnesota the last few years.

doublebassheeltoe Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:37 pm

I'm Chris La Mar. I am 15 years old. I'm from Independence, Kentucky, which is a suburb of Cincinnati. I'm in the drumline at Dixie Heights High School, which is arguably one of the best drumlines in the state. I played two years of bass drum, from 2005 to 2006. In 2006 I was bass drum section leader. I tried out of snare that year, but they kept me on bass because they needed five basses before they took five snares. This past year(2007) I made the tenor line.

I have been offered a tenor spot at Southwind, Derby City Knights, Cincinnati Tradition, and Capital Regmient. I have been recruited to audition by many other corps, including The Cavaliers, the Colts, Glassmen, Memphis Sound, and Pioneer. However, my mind is set on The Cadets. I plan on auditioning for QB 2009, and was seriously interested in auditioning for Holy Bass 2007; however, my age and inability to make a 9-hour drive has prevented me from doing so.

Apart from that, I was a member of the 2007 Northern Kentucky Middle School Select Band, and am auditioning for the 2008 NKY High School Wind Ensemble. I also play the baritone/euphonium, and I'm not ruling out marching a wind instrument in a corps.
There's no way around reality, and there's no way to fix things that have already happened. It is what it is, we are what we are, and there is nothing more to life than that. Rule #9.

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:55 pm

doublebassheeltoe wrote: I plan on auditioning for QB 2009
Excuse me, I always see that 'QB' , but what does that stand for Quad B___?
CorpsVets 08' - Pit