Cymbals & Arm Strength - Need Advice

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

CoolInDenial Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Cymbals & Arm Strength - Need Advice

Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:18 am

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little advice. I've tried googling, asking friends, etc., and I just can't find an answer specific to what I'm doing, so I thought I'd ask here. Sorry about the long post...

I've decided to audition for a couple of WGI World groups on cymbals. I've been working to build arm strength (my greatest weakness...oh would you look at that pun) since mid-April. A friend of mine marches a PIW and he gave me a few lessons on technique, but he's marching DCI this summer and I don't want to keep bothering him with questions.

I've been standing with the plates in vert position for as long as I can three times a day for a few weeks now (he told me this was the best way to build strength), and while I've made significant improvements, something happened this week and I seem to have lost all of my progress.

Monday afternoon, I had access to a gigantic mirror and a gym's worth of weights, something I don't normally have, and took full advantage of it. So I did this killer workout with both dumbbells/free weights and the cymbals. Tuesday, I no longer had access to all of that, so I went back to my usual pushups and cymbal routine. My arms were sore, but I figured that was fine. Wednesday, my arms were just killing me so much that I cut my normal routine short and didn't do anything for the rest of the day. Thursday I decided not to do any arm exercises in an effort to help my muscles rest. Then on Friday, I tried to get back in the groove of things, but the plates felt so ridiculously heavy. It was as if I had lost all of the strength I had worked to gain over the last few weeks.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Is this something that happens normally? Are dumbbells too much to be using and I should just use plates from now on?

Also if anybody has any advice on how to better gain strength for cymbals, I'd gladly take it. I need all the help I can get :P :D
Thanks!!
SMAHS
2010-13: pit
2013-15: snare

PSU
2015: Cymbals

KJennings Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: Cymbals & Arm Strength - Need Advice

Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:15 am

Generally speaking, whatever you choose to do, you should try to do consistently. You likely overworked yourself that one day and brought about some DOMS. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed ... e_soreness

Lifting heavy after not doing it in a while will cause this, but you'll stop getting sore if you become consistent
DCI Open Class- 2006
DCI World Class- 2007, 2010, 2011
WGI World Class- 2011, 2012, 2013 (Snare Tech)
Image Image

CoolInDenial Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Cymbals & Arm Strength - Need Advice

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:27 pm

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
SMAHS
2010-13: pit
2013-15: snare

PSU
2015: Cymbals