Rehearsals

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

Snare Playa Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Rehearsals

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:51 pm

Last edited by Snare Playa on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey you, reading this; if you currently don't have a Snarescience account, please feel free to make one and join the conversation. It's free and only takes a minute!

HS
'14: Bass 3
'15: Snare

'18 Carolina Crown Hopeful

billc36 Offline

Re: Rehearsals

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:34 pm

The group I work with has 8th grader night next month. Returning students are not required to attend, but just about all of them do. They enjoy seeing and meeting the new kids and helping them out.

After that we'll have rehearsals over several weeks. Each night is split in to halves. The first half the student gets to pick the instrument they want to play on. The next half the staff decides what instrument the student will play on. It's out audition process without the kids realizing they are auditioning and getting nervous. During these nights we work on sticks in/out, marking time, dutting, etc.

Once the line is set, we rehearse two nights a week from late March until band camp. The students are given a list of goals of what they need to be able to play, what they need to have memorized (at what tempos) and what they need to be able to track. As the weeks go on, the expectations grow. By the time band camp starts, we can play through the entire show up to tempo.

The front ensemble follows a similar schedule with the pit tech(s). They are introduced to four mallet playing in 8th grade so the transition is fairly smooth. Two mallet and four mallet playing are focused on equally with the skill set advancing at a decent pace. Although we as a staff have a general idea of who will be playing what, the front ensemble is the last section set. We need to see who came handle what.

It's all low key with no yelling or losing patience or anything like that. The kids enjoy themselves and don't stress out.

We may play with the winds a week or so before band camp, but that's not a given. We don't learn any drill until band camp. When we do, the percussion learns separately from the winds and guard. We bring it all together after lunch and music sectionals for the last hour or so of camp each day.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

Snare Playa Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:27 am

Awesome, thank you.
Hey you, reading this; if you currently don't have a Snarescience account, please feel free to make one and join the conversation. It's free and only takes a minute!

HS

billc36 Offline

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:02 pm

One thing to remember...if you don't have an instructor, or this isn't something that's happened in the past, which it doesn't sound like it has, don't expect an overly positive reception.

It's hard for students to take the "leader" role and decide when the have extra rehearsals, how to keep them on point and how to teach play at the same time.

Not saying it's impossible, just saying it's tough.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

Snare Playa Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:27 am

Okay I'm willing to accept that. Our only authority figure in band is our BD, who's not a percussionist. We don't have any techs or anything.

HS