I'm Creating A Website and Need Some Tips/Pointers

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

thebanshee Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

I'm Creating A Website and Need Some Tips/Pointers

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:55 pm

After creating a couple cadences, licks, solo's, exercises, ect. I have decided to create a website where I can let people see my various music and where they can download it too. Any site in particular that I would be better off on and does anyone have any tips for me?
"KEEP YOUR GRACE NOTE DOWN" - Dennis Delucia

EACMB 2012 - Bass 4
Iroquois HS 2012 - Front Ensemble (Aux Perc)
Iroquois HS 2013 - Snare
Thunderbirds 2015 - Bass 4 [FIRST DRUM CORP]
Iroquois HS 2015 - Snare ***Section Leader***
Thunderbirds 2016- Snare
#BLOO is the new Black

Website for beats coming soon! A. Dinosar Productions
Check my Sound Cloud. I am The Banshee!

Snare Playa Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: I'm Creating A Website and Need Some Tips/Pointers

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:13 am

Have a rockin' front page! It's viewers' first impression of your website so put more into it than anything else!
Hey you, reading this; if you currently don't have a Snarescience account, please feel free to make one and join the conversation. It's free and only takes a minute!

HS
'14: Bass 3
'15: Snare

'18 Carolina Crown Hopeful

FatMatt Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:46 am

Use a sans-serif font (e.g. Arial) for the webpages. These are more readable on screens than serif fonts (e.g. Times), which are more appropriate in print.

Use light-coloured text on a black background or black text on a very light-coloured background. Don't get fancy with the background; the key is readability.

In your engraving software, figure out what margins and scaling look best, and then make all your music look like that. A lot of people just use the default settings in Finale, which look terrible. Attention to detail will really stand out.

I don't think a front page is the most important... you want to get the users to the content as quickly as possible. You should put the most time into making your content easily accessible and neatly displayed. There's a lot of ways you could potentially organise stuff, so try to figure out the best way.
NC State Drumline (2007–2010)
Instructor: Athens Drive HS (2009–2011), Weber State Indoor Percussion (2013–2015)

Warm-ups, cadences, and more... http://www.fatmattdrums.com/

Check out my collection of street beats and stadium grooves, "Track and Burn", from Tapspace!

Take command of space and time with Rudiment Control!

Snare Playa Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:43 pm

FatMatt wrote:Use a sans-serif font (e.g. Arial) for the webpages. These are more readable on screens than serif fonts (e.g. Times), which are more appropriate in print.

Use light-coloured text on a black background or black text on a very light-coloured background. Don't get fancy with the background; the key is readability.

In your engraving software, figure out what margins and scaling look best, and then make all your music look like that. A lot of people just use the default settings in Finale, which look terrible. Attention to detail will really stand out.

I don't think a front page is the most important... you want to get the users to the content as quickly as possible. You should put the most time into making your content easily accessible and neatly displayed. There's a lot of ways you could potentially organise stuff, so try to figure out the best way.
Awesome stuff
Hey you, reading this; if you currently don't have a Snarescience account, please feel free to make one and join the conversation. It's free and only takes a minute!

HS
'14: Bass 3
'15: Snare

'18 Carolina Crown Hopeful