Building a Tight-Looking Exercise Packet in a Word Processor

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

FatMatt Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Building a Tight-Looking Exercise Packet in a Word Processor

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:07 pm

I've made a tutorial to help you with building instructional documents with music staves (exercises). This involves formatting a *.pdf for inclusion in the document, and importing it in such a way that it isn't flattened into an image. I've included a whole bunch of exercises as *.pdf files formatted for this purpose to help get you started.

Maybe this stuff is a no-brainer, but I've been typesetting all my stuff in Finale, which is a real pain. And when I want to use a Word Processor, I've used screenshots of the music, which don't print very crisply. This method allows you to get the music to look noiice while including your instructional text, whatever title and tempo information you want, and so you can just drop in the exercises that you want, easily.

Step-by-step instructions and accompanying material: http://fatmattdrums.com/fatmattdrums/Ex ... acket.html

YouTube video:

I've used Word for Mac 2011 to do this, and it works beautifully. I'm told that Pages also works fine for this. I have tried Word 2013 for Windows and didn't have the same luck. The documents made on the Mac version open fine in the Windows version, and the *.pdf objects look good, but importing a new *.pdf flattens it into an image. Maybe someone can tell me how to get this to work right in the Windows version.
NC State Drumline (2007–2010)
Instructor: Athens Drive HS (2009–2011), Weber State Indoor Percussion (2013–2015)

Warm-ups, cadences, and more... http://www.fatmattdrums.com/

Check out my collection of street beats and stadium grooves, "Track and Burn", from Tapspace!

Take command of space and time with Rudiment Control!

8Keep Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re: Building a Tight-Looking Exercise Packet in a Word Proce

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:54 pm

I would like to know how to do this in the windows version of word too, I just tried and couldnt figure it out