Lowest volume snare set up for playing in the house

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

joliet Offline
noob
noob

Lowest volume snare set up for playing in the house

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:48 pm

Hey guys!

I am going to buy another marching snare and wanted some feedback on getting the lowest volume setup.

I have always played Pearl Championship snares in the 14"x12" size with remo white max batter heads and full size marching sticks. I currently practice drums in a 12'x15' bedroom. I play my concert snares in this room with no problem but a full size marching snare is a bit too intense. I do use ear protection when I play but would still like to lower the volume output as much as I can as there are other people in the house at times and have to be considerate of neighbors. I will typically throw a towel over the head. I plan to start playing with Hardimon indoor sticks to help lower the volume.

What drum/heads would you recommend for playing in a small space? I am looking at the Pearl FFX 13x11 or a Yamaha SFZ 14x9 but open to look at any drum/size. Is there a noticeable decrease in volume in those smaller sizes? I have no experience with anything except 14x12.

No, I do not want to play on pads anymore if I don't have to.

Thanks.

The_Drumline_Life Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Lowest volume snare set up for playing in the house

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:35 pm

not much you can do but soundproof your room, which is ridiculously expensive and time consuming... I play set and have been know to play from 4 pm to 8 pm after school- my neighbors HATE me, but oh well I view it as them getting a free preview of hit songs
Image Mayonaisse is indeed an instrument

Anything I post represents, my, and only my personal beliefs, and does not speak for any group, or business, I am affiliated with, may be affiliated with in the future, or have been affiliated with in the past.

Sangerman Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:16 pm

Throwing a towel on the head kinda defeats the purpose of playing on a drum rather than a pad. There isn't much you can do for volume. It's an outdoor instrument. You can try smaller drums but the whole point of them is to project. Just drum when you can when no one's home and drum on a pad the other times. Drumming on a pad won't destroy your hands lol, pad hands are a myth
BTTB Snare July '11 - '13
Blue Saints Snare '13
Pacific Crest '16

Ethan Mccraw Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:06 am

Sangerman wrote:Throwing a towel on the head kinda defeats the purpose of playing on a drum rather than a pad. There isn't much you can do for volume. It's an outdoor instrument. You can try smaller drums but the whole point of them is to project. Just drum when you can when no one's home and drum on a pad the other times. Drumming on a pad won't destroy your hands lol, pad hands are a myth
I wouldn't say pad hands are a myth but it's easy to prevent it by not changing how you play on a pad vs. how you play on a drum. People that have "pad hands" get it by approaching the pad like with a softer touch or a lazy-er touch while an actual marching snare needs plenty of velocity and "strength" if you will.. to get the best sound out of the drum. But yeah if you approach both the same then pad hands wont be a thing.

DrummerOf2012 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:42 am

I wouldn't suggest basing the drum you're gonna purchase off how loud it's gonna be in your room. Get the drum you think sounds the best with how you play!

About pad hands....they are definitely a thing. They are two completely different surfaces that will never feel the exact same way no matter how close they get. Pads are amazing for building the tools you need later for a drum, but to achieve the highest level sound quality you must practice on a drum.
Playing inside is just gonna have to be a thing you accept as being REALLY LOUD, and that's okay. Going to a park or your high school field is great practice too if you're wanting to drum for a few hours.
Viral video with 5 snare drummers in kilts.
Army All-American Marching Band - 2012
TCI 2010 snareline "Censored"

University of Texas Percussion

GalliumEnergy Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:41 pm

You can try out an Evans Control Screen. I haven't heard much about them but it's worth a shot if you want the volume to go down. I'm planning on getting one to test out so if I will post here again to tell you if it works at all (if I get it).
LHS Vibes '14-'15 The Grid
LHS Vibes '15-'16 Arabian Nights
LHS Snare '16-'17 Whatever the show is