Marching

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

Jason Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Marching

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:47 am

I am hoping to march in a DCI or WGI group before I age out and I know that marching is a huge factor but I am having trouble finding sources of help on core based marching technique and how to be DCI ready. I have noticed that in most forums etc. it isn't really discussed. I was wondering if some of you veterans could give me some advice to improve my calf chops and my marching technique

Thanks
¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..Jå$øn..¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸...............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,..
...............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ.............D®µm G33K............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ..............

'12-'13 MHS Alto Sax "Latin Heat"
'13-'14 MHS Flute "Riverdance"
'14-'15 MHS Marimba "Styx"
'15-'16 MHS Snare "Hard Rock"
billc36 wrote:My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

daboone Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:04 am

The Grid Book Series and Symphonic Pulse recently teamed up to shed some light on the process of auditioning.

Link: http://www.symphonicpulsepercussion.com ... ook-series

There really are numerous resources out there on the subject; keep looking.

batteryee Offline
noob
noob

Re: Marching

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:20 pm

In order to improve your marching start continously doing strength training for your whole body. Strengthening your core (there's a pun) will make it easier to carry your drums. I was underweight when I marched quads and it was hard until I gained muscle. Strengthening your legs, especially your calves, will help you reach the maximum velocity with the least amount of effort and help you be able to march longer strides at fast tempos while maintaining your balance. Once that's done, focus on marching at slower tempos of about 90 or so for balance, then focus on marching at higher tempos at 200 or so for speed.
16, High School, Female

14: Bass 3, Bass 4
15: Quads, Bass 2

Aspiring for the Cadets Bassline

CoolInDenial Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:46 pm

I'd love to say "practice marching in a mirror" but that wold be pretty much impossible, unless you have a room made of mirrors, in which case, go you!

To employ the concept of "drumming in a mirror" to watch your marching technique, ask someone to video tape you while you march or set up a video camera in a spot where it can see you well. Then do whatever marching exercises you have a few times and review what you've recorded. Point out what you have and have not done well and pick a couple of things to work on during the next rep.

Though there are a variety of marching styles out there, some basic tips could include:

-Shoulders back, back straight
-No slouching
-Don't bend your knees (roll step and backwards marching)
-Keep your arms still if you are marching with them at your sides (or put them in a "horns up" position)
-Tile your head upwards, not towards the sky, but as if you are looking at a pressbox

Like everyone else said, conditioning and muscle/strength training will help as well.

**Keep in mind, I've never marched at the DCI or WGI level, nor have I ever used a camera to watch myself march, so take what I'm suggesting as nothing more than a friendly suggestion :D
SMAHS
2010-13: pit
2013-15: snare

PSU
2015: Cymbals

Jason Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:52 pm

CoolInDenial wrote: -Don't bend your knees (roll step and backwards marching)
I'm told I should bend my knees for stability when crabbing and back marching
¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..Jå$øn..¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸...............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,..
...............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ.............D®µm G33K............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ..............

'12-'13 MHS Alto Sax "Latin Heat"
'13-'14 MHS Flute "Riverdance"
'14-'15 MHS Marimba "Styx"
'15-'16 MHS Snare "Hard Rock"
billc36 wrote:My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

CoolInDenial Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:38 pm

Jason wrote:
CoolInDenial wrote: -Don't bend your knees (roll step and backwards marching)
I'm told I should bend my knees for stability when crabbing and back marching
In my experience, I was always taught that the goal was for your legs to be "as straight as possible," but that some bending is okay.

If you were taught something else by an instructor or told something else by someone with more experience than me (I've only done high school and college band so far), by all means do listen to them because they're definitely more right than me :)
SMAHS
2010-13: pit
2013-15: snare

PSU
2015: Cymbals