Fatigued hands/forearms

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

Jackal Offline
noob
noob

Fatigued hands/forearms

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:53 pm

So, I've been practicing my DCI audition piece for atleast 5 hours a night for the past 3 weeks now.. This is my first DCI audition ever and I wanna do good in it. So, I literally have been practicing everyday to prepare myself. And now, I'm 2 weeks away from auditions and my hands are not working. Lol. Like, they are working, playing fine, but I seem to have lost my ability to play for longer periods of time like I used to. I just want to know if you guys think my hands are fatigued/tired/needs rest or it's just all in my head.

My audition is coming up and I'm freaking out because I'm gettin frustrated and my hands/arms are not working properly. Help. Please.
Butt.

LordHighEmu Offline
noob
noob

Re: Fatigued hands/ forearms

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:35 pm

Are you stretching after practicing? If not, you need to be.
You also need to think of chopping out like lifting weights - it's really the same base concept. You're breaking down the muscles (literally breaking microscopic bonds in and around each muscle) which then build back up with rest - stretching helps this process. The other part of this process is that you need to REST. It sounds like playing heavy every night is not your gig right now, and you rick some serious *beep* with it - ex. tendinitis. Give your chops one or two nights off, and then go back and make sure you do your audition pieces in addition to chopping -
Ex.
- 8's for a few minutes
-STRETCH - I like to stick my arms straight out to the side and point my fingers as straight UP as possible, and then try to push out invisible walls for 30 seconds. One or two rounds of that usually does it for me, you can stretch different ways if you know how.
-Warm Up exercises to target what I'm practicing (Don't waste valuable time on a long double beat exercise if double beat really isn't a huge part of your audition piece)
-Practice the audition piece
-CHOP. 8 to 50 is always a fun choice with a metronome. Try to keep it clean and consistent until failure - like you can't even play a clean 2 beat triplet roll anymore.
-Wind down with 8's again
-Stretch
Then let your muscles rest for a day. Auditions are soon, and you'll make better "gains" by practicing the right way than by risking injury and doing it wrong every night.
Good luck man!

Jackal Offline
noob
noob

Re: Fatigued hands/ forearms

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:18 pm

LordHighEmu wrote:Are you stretching after practicing? If not, you need to be.
You also need to think of chopping out like lifting weights - it's really the same base concept. You're breaking down the muscles (literally breaking microscopic bonds in and around each muscle) which then build back up with rest - stretching helps this process. The other part of this process is that you need to REST. It sounds like playing heavy every night is not your gig right now, and you rick some serious *beep* with it - ex. tendinitis. Give your chops one or two nights off, and then go back and make sure you do your audition pieces in addition to chopping -
Hey thanks! Funny enough, your advice is more helpful than what my high school drum tech told me. But then, it doesn't really surprise me because he never had any type of DCI experience. Only the Milwaukee Bucks drumline.

Thanks again!
Butt.

Sangerman Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Fatigued hands/forearms

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:55 pm

Work smart, not hard.
BTTB Snare July '11 - '13
Blue Saints Snare '13
Pacific Crest '16