Having Trouble With Ratio Tuplets

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

thebanshee Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Having Trouble With Ratio Tuplets

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:15 pm

Can Someone explain to me how to read and write complex tuplets? I can do 4:3 and 2:3 but I can't figure out the other tuplets like 11:8 and 7:6.
"KEEP YOUR GRACE NOTE DOWN" - Dennis Delucia

EACMB 2012 - Bass 4
Iroquois HS 2012 - Front Ensemble (Aux Perc)
Iroquois HS 2013 - Snare
Thunderbirds 2015 - Bass 4 [FIRST DRUM CORP]
Iroquois HS 2015 - Snare ***Section Leader***
Thunderbirds 2016- Snare
#BLOO is the new Black

Website for beats coming soon! A. Dinosar Productions
Check my Sound Cloud. I am The Banshee!

FerreusOpus Offline
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Re: Having Trouble With Ratio Tuplets

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:02 pm

I've literally seen a 7:6 once in all my years reading music, and it was in "Fast Things." My best advice with the weird stuff is to write it into your music notation program and listen to what it sounds like. To write them, I at least know Sibelius has a tuplet function that will allow you to write those ratios in.
Youtube.com/FerreusOpus
QuadScience - http://www.snarescience.com/exercises/all-tnr.php
ImageImage

Rolly Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re:

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:56 am

I think in terms of the starting point and finishing point of the grouping and then keep all notes even throughout. If you are doing 11:8, play first a group of eight with a slight accent to begin and end, then use those accents as references points to play the group of eleven within the same time frame. Once your hands and ears get used to switching from the eight to the eleven note grouping, just drop the eight grouping. Do the same for the 7:6. Play a grouping of six with slight accents front and back, then fill in the same space with seven strokes but maintaining the same accent placement. Eventually you should be able to play the 7:6 pattern.

thebanshee Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:38 am

Okay. But how does the ratio work? I look at ratios (4:3/11:8 for examples) and I understand that the first number is the amount of notes in the tuplet, but what is the second number?

EACMB 2012 - Bass 4
Iroquois HS 2013 - Snare
Thunderbirds 2016- Snare
#BLOO is the new Black

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:38 am

thebanshee wrote:Okay. But how does the ratio work? I look at ratios (4:3/11:8 for examples) and I understand that the first number is the amount of notes in the tuplet, but what is the second number?

Ratios can be interpreted as "Play x strokes in the space of y notes"

You are probably familiar with triplets. That is technically a 3:2 tuplet. It has a single beam, which means "play 3 strokes in the space of 2 eighth notes"

Another common one: sixtuplets... technically 6:4 tuplet. Two beams, which means "play 6 strokes in the space of 4 sixteenth notes".

To learn how to play any tuplet, think about how you learned to play triplets and sixtuplets. You turn on the metronome, and start stroking out legatos. maybe put a pulse on the beat for reference.

FYI, a list of common note values in 4/4 (common) time, and their respective ratios:

Eighth Notes (2:2)
Triplets, aka twelfth notes (3:2)
Sixteenth Notes (4:4)
Fivelets, aka twentieth notes (5:4)
Sixtuplets, aka twenty-fourth notes (6:4)
Seventlets, aka twenty-eighth notes (7:4)
Thirty-second notes (8:8)

Its important to note that from a writer's perspective, your job is to write music that SOUNDS cool... not music that LOOKS cool on paper. There is a lot that can be accomplished by understanding basic note interpretation (what the beams mean, time signatures, dotted notes, etc) before you start slapping funky tuplets on the page. Normally, a good spot for a tuple is where you are noodling around with a beat, and you have a perceived decell, or a lead change, and you wonder "how am I going to write that out". At that point, an unusual tuplet might be in order.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

thebanshee Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:55 am

schorsquatch wrote:
thebanshee wrote:Okay. But how does the ratio work? I look at ratios (4:3/11:8 for examples) and I understand that the first number is the amount of notes in the tuplet, but what is the second number?

Ratios can be interpreted as "Play x strokes in the space of y notes"

You are probably familiar with triplets. That is technically a 3:2 tuplet. It has a single beam, which means "play 3 strokes in the space of 2 eighth notes"

Another common one: sixtuplets... technically 6:4 tuplet. Two beams, which means "play 6 strokes in the space of 4 sixteenth notes".

To learn how to play any tuplet, think about how you learned to play triplets and sixtuplets. You turn on the metronome, and start stroking out legatos. maybe put a pulse on the beat for reference.

FYI, a list of common note values in 4/4 (common) time, and their respective ratios:

Eighth Notes (2:2)
Triplets, aka twelfth notes (3:2)
Sixteenth Notes (4:4)
Fivelets, aka twentieth notes (5:4)
Sixtuplets, aka twenty-fourth notes (6:4)
Seventlets, aka twenty-eighth notes (7:4)
Thirty-second notes (8:8)

Its important to note that from a writer's perspective, your job is to write music that SOUNDS cool... not music that LOOKS cool on paper. There is a lot that can be accomplished by understanding basic note interpretation (what the beams mean, time signatures, dotted notes, etc) before you start slapping funky tuplets on the page. Normally, a good spot for a tuple is where you are noodling around with a beat, and you have a perceived decell, or a lead change, and you wonder "how am I going to write that out". At that point, an unusual tuplet might be in order.
Thank you. The main reason I asked is because I am trying to write ten notes in the space of three quarter notes and I had no idea how to write it. So using this, would it be 10:6?

EACMB 2012 - Bass 4
Iroquois HS 2013 - Snare
Thunderbirds 2016- Snare
#BLOO is the new Black

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:14 pm

That's what I would do... but be sure to use a single beam:

"I'm going to play 10 strokes in the space of 6 eighth notes"

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:06 am

Of course, since it took 7 posts over the course of 3 days to sort through this, and given your having to explain it to your teammates, maybe you can just go with triplets 3:2 and get "9 strokes in the space of 6 eighth notes" and nobody will ever notice.

thebanshee Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:21 pm

schorsquatch wrote:Of course, since it took 7 posts over the course of 3 days to sort through this, and given your having to explain it to your teammates, maybe you can just go with triplets 3:2 and get "9 strokes in the space of 6 eighth notes" and nobody will ever notice.
I was just writing and I'm still working on it so there was no rush. Thank you.

EACMB 2012 - Bass 4
Iroquois HS 2013 - Snare
Thunderbirds 2016- Snare
#BLOO is the new Black