Trying to make money writing...

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

thebanshee Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Trying to make money writing...

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:33 pm

So I think I'm finally at the point in writing music that I think I could start to make money writing show beats, cadences, ect. How should I get started? Should I release through some publishing companies?
"KEEP YOUR GRACE NOTE DOWN" - Dennis Delucia

EACMB 2012 - Bass 4
Iroquois HS 2012 - Front Ensemble (Aux Perc)
Iroquois HS 2013 - Snare
Thunderbirds 2015 - Bass 4 [FIRST DRUM CORP]
Iroquois HS 2015 - Snare ***Section Leader***
Thunderbirds 2016- Snare
#BLOO is the new Black

Website for beats coming soon! A. Dinosar Productions
Check my Sound Cloud. I am The Banshee!

billc36 Offline

Re: Trying to make money writing...

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:20 pm

Create a website and self publish.

What experience do you have writing? Who have you written for?

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

thebanshee Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:15 am

billc36 wrote:Create a website and self publish.

What experience do you have writing? Who have you written for?
I have written several cadences and started several shows. I've never officially writen any beats for anyone, but that's what I'm trying to start...

EACMB 2012 - Bass 4
Iroquois HS 2013 - Snare
Thunderbirds 2016- Snare
#BLOO is the new Black

MusicGuy11311 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:27 am

what i would do is start out just doing stuff for free to kinda start to get your name out there more. offer your services to any band that comes along. get a facebook page or make a website. a way for people to see what you have accomplished.
Also, get more experience and always try to make yourself better. try and get higher up people to see your music and give criticisms. maybe another thing to maybe think about is also starting to try and write for more of a variety. like winds and pit percussion.

thebanshee Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:03 pm

MusicGuy11311 wrote:what i would do is start out just doing stuff for free to kinda start to get your name out there more. offer your services to any band that comes along. get a facebook page or make a website. a way for people to see what you have accomplished.
Also, get more experience and always try to make yourself better. try and get higher up people to see your music and give criticisms. maybe another thing to maybe think about is also starting to try and write for more of a variety. like winds and pit percussion.
Should I start local? High school band in my area is very popular but all the bands have permanent techs that write the music.

EACMB 2012 - Bass 4
Iroquois HS 2013 - Snare
Thunderbirds 2016- Snare
#BLOO is the new Black

MusicGuy11311 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:04 pm

you should start out writing out for anywhere you can find that needs help. I went around asking bands if they needed anything, and as a result, im writing for places all around the country this year. i got a lot of help from a friend of mine, like, a LOT, but im starting to go places now. you just gotta do the same. just put yourself out there man, and work hard.

FerreusOpus Offline
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm

I think a large portion of it is who you know in the activity. Doing a bit of instruction may also help because that's a great way to build contacts and relationships in the activity. I definitely will say the arranger/composer market is pretty saturated. It's hard to break in to any market that already has a ton of really good people in it, that's why it doesn't hurt to know people.

Just figure out what sets your work apart from everyone else's and market your self as best you can. Go to shows, make contacts, and get comfortable with the idea that you're probably going to have to do work for free at first. At the end of the day, it really only matters if your potential clients think your work is good.
Youtube.com/FerreusOpus
QuadScience - http://www.snarescience.com/exercises/all-tnr.php
ImageImage

MusicGuy11311 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:03 pm

^^^^^
That

thebanshee Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:04 am

Thank you guys you guys are a real help! Thank you so much!

EACMB 2012 - Bass 4
Iroquois HS 2013 - Snare
Thunderbirds 2016- Snare
#BLOO is the new Black

ohmycheese Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:09 pm

Like what others said, try teaching first. This way you get connected into a school and get teaching experience. You'll build connections with the techs at that school and if you gel, you'll meet their connections. Throw out a "hey i got a cadence would you mind critiquing my writing" or "hey i got a cadence and would you wanna try it with the kids?" this lets those above you know that you're eager to write. don't try to force it. as your relationship with the staff grows, they'll trust you more and when they leave or if they feel like offering the writing job to someone else, you'll be on their list.

i currently dont write battery for the school im teching at (which is also my alma mater, im a college freshman now). but i did offer to write the pit book after the school was unable to find a pit writer. they started playing one of my cadences. prior to graduating from that school, i arranged pep band tunes and I still do that today. build your writing skills in more than just battery. BUT ALSO, dont stop writing battery parts for fun. i have a lot of friends who make rap music and they have notebooks full of verses ranging from one line to twenty. as a perc writer, I saw that idea and it's stuck with me since. you never know when that lick you wrote a year ago makes it into a high school book.

i was asked by a college friend who teaches another school if i wanted to collab on their battery book. i don't like doing collabs that much because you can run into the problem of the music not flowing well, but it can be possible to get a good book out of it. but that did get my name out there a little tiny bit.

one thing that came up in conversation with the staff im in is the SUCCESS of the kids who play what you wrote. you want to write something that is achievable. if what you write is too hard, then you must either water it or work the kids up to it. the last thing you want is for you to offer a book to a school and they decline because you don't know how to tailor a book to the kids. you want to write a book that you are proud of, is achieved, and leads people to wonder who wrote it. let people find you.

lastly,
try to get as much experience you can as a player. do drum corps, or college band, or community things. expose yourself to other styles of writing. this will help in building your credentials not only as a writer but as a teacher. it helps when you can say, "i marched under _____ who was a student of bret khun" or something along those lines.
Hawaii
DCI 2014