what are some difficult auditions you've been through?

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus

TheBrokenNut Offline
noob
noob

what are some difficult auditions you've been through?

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Im curious as to what some of those "make it or break it" moments you've been through. I know a friend of mine who had to play triplet grid with a diddle on 1st and a flam on the 3rd and made him play it marking time, then play the grid backwards, and other variations with it. For another friend they had a triplet diddle exercise that went over the bar lines, and they had to march a figure 8 exercise to that. What ever it is, the more specific you are the better because i would like to try some of these challenges

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: what are some difficult auditions you've been through?

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:52 pm

35 years ago- Atlanta, Georgia- Spirit auditions- Tom Float in a room with two other guys
"Hey man, show us what you got."

5 years ago- Pigeon Forge,Tennessee- Auditioning for a drum set spot as a professional musician
House band set up on stage- " Hey let's play this old tune. You know that song don't you?"

4 years ago- Dollywood Amusement Park- Auditioning for a drum set spot as a professional musician-
House band set up on stage- Panel of three men and one lady looking on.
"Now, let's play three tunes from the show".

A few months ago- a relaxed get together for the group that I play with now,
even though I knew they were checking me out and my playing style since we
had never played together.

Life is an audition.
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:19 am

Almost forgot, even though it wasn't an actual audition, my senior recital in college
was a little nerve wracking. Even though I was totally prepared, almost to a point of
being over-prepared, I was still a little nervous until I got underway. Being a solo act
for a night is totally different from playing in a group. Safety in numbers!

And my scholarship audition in college as a rising freshman was a bit difficult. I played
before a panel of three faculty members, none of which were percussionists. So I had
to play as musically as possible to connect with them I thought. I mean, what does a
trumpet, a clarinet, and a piano professor know about what I am playing? Well, you'd
be surprised at just how much a real musician knows about your instrument even though
they don't actually play it. I did receive a full scholarship for a year as a result, so my
preparation was rewarded. My parents were glad that I practiced too I assure you.
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

Ethan Mccraw Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:10 pm

I get lessons from a snare for 2010-11 Troopers and he said on the second camp the techs told everyone to hit every four beats and if you fidgeted in between hits- you were cut.

CoolInDenial Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:33 pm

I auditioned for PSU this past August. I had been preparing since early May, and while I didn't feel I "had it in the bag," especially after listening to the returnees and some of the auditionees, I did feel I knew what I was doing and had a chance at making it somewhere on the line. After two days of ensemble playing and marching and an individual audition, I was told that I didn't make it, which obviously sucked a lot.

So, that night I was like "well, now what do I do?" and I'll admit I was sort of mopey :P

Until I received an e-mail from the drum captain the next morning saying they had a spot for me after all. :D

As it turns out, a guy who made the cymbal line decided not to march, so they called me. I've never felt as lucky as I did that morning.
SMAHS
2010-13: pit
2013-15: snare

PSU
2015: Cymbals