PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

general discussion

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth, particleplatypus


Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [ 74 posts ]
Message
Author
snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 1793
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:56 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:01 pm



Petal Snare wrote:
snarescience wrote:
Petal Snare wrote:Wow Ryan, this is fantastic!

Did you code all of it yourself or did you have help?
Myself, with occasional help from my web programming friend when I got stuck.
Did you major in programming or something computer related?
Engineering, so I did learn some basic programming skills that have made it easier to learn web-related languages.
Ryan Wold
Image
Image
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09


snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 1793
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:56 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:58 pm



petrolika wrote:paradiddle speed @140bpm doesn't show time.
TY, fixed!

And geese, you are really reefing the tempos. Vid @140bpm please! :mrgreen:
Ryan Wold
Image
Image
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09


snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 1793
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:56 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:59 pm



Symphonyarctica wrote:A+ Breaking Bad reference.
Thank you. :)
Ryan Wold
Image
Image
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09


twinkle finger Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:10 pm
Location: Downey California

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:31 pm



This is great! I had alot of fun playing paradiddle race haha.


Petal Snare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:38 am

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:17 pm



snarescience wrote: Engineering, so I did learn some basic programming skills that have made it easier to learn web-related languages.
Oh okay, that's cool. I'm majoring in Computer Science so I'm learning Visual Basic programming, HTML(5) and JavaScript.

I'll be getting in PHP, Database, Web Server and other stuff over the next year.


snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 1793
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:56 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:36 pm



Petal Snare wrote:
snarescience wrote: Engineering, so I did learn some basic programming skills that have made it easier to learn web-related languages.
Oh okay, that's cool. I'm majoring in Computer Science so I'm learning Visual Basic programming, HTML(5) and JavaScript.

I'll be getting in PHP, Database, Web Server and other stuff over the next year.
That's great! I know where to come for help in the future. :)
Ryan Wold
Image
Image
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09


Wagsdrummer92 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:53 am

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:30 am



can we get some 4-2-1's added (421 16th/triplet rolls) also a 5-7-9 accents pattern would be awesome?
CorpsVets 2010 Aux "360"
Frequency Inc. 2012 Cymbals "Unconquerable"
Pioneer 2012 Bass 4 "Irish Immigrants: The Hands that Built America"
SU Snare 2012
DSIP Cymbals 2013
Palmetto Percussion 2014 Cymbals
CV Indoor 2015 Cymbals
Alliance DBC Cymbal Instructor
Spirit of Atlanta 2016 Cymbal Instructor
Tates Creek Indoor Ensemble 2017 Cymbal Instructor


drumdude1 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:38 pm



This is amazing! i saw improvement in myself in using it for just a couple of hours!
Sponsers:
Sticks........Vic Firth
Drums....... Pearl
Pads......... Offworld Percussion


bohogony Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:51 pm

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:06 am



This is awesome!

One thing that would be great though would be if you could download practice routines as mp3s so you can put them your ipod. So in cases when you can't have a laptop open infront of you, you can just listen through your ipod.

Something that would be needing to be put on the mp3's would be a voice speaking before each exercise e.g
'Eights, Tempo:120,' Count in.


snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 1793
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:56 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:30 pm



http://www.snarescience.com/practicepad.php

Check out the click tracks. I have them completed starting from the top and through 32nd note singles. The whole note clicks will challenge your time keeping ability!

Currently working on the click tracks for the add-a-flam exercises.
Ryan Wold
Image
Image
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09


ayeyomaggots Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:07 pm



is there any chance of adding the option to have the click track and the exercise going at the same time? so for example the exercise mp3 AND the quarter note track?
i feel like that would be useful on a majority of the exercises.
Image
Lee clary wrote:Zelda is just a godly game and i love it play it every day i still have a N64 and a gamecube im hardcore for it.


snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 1793
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:56 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:17 pm



ayeyomaggots wrote:is there any chance of adding the option to have the click track and the exercise going at the same time? so for example the exercise mp3 AND the quarter note track?
i feel like that would be useful on a majority of the exercises.
This is a possibility, yes. I will put it on the to-do list.
Ryan Wold
Image
Image
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09


ayeyomaggots Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:19 pm



snarescience wrote:
ayeyomaggots wrote:is there any chance of adding the option to have the click track and the exercise going at the same time? so for example the exercise mp3 AND the quarter note track?
i feel like that would be useful on a majority of the exercises.
This is a possibility, yes. I will put it on the to-do list.
awesome, thanks Ryan! i've been using it everyday, it's a great tool.
Image
Lee clary wrote:Zelda is just a godly game and i love it play it every day i still have a N64 and a gamecube im hardcore for it.


snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 1793
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:56 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:57 am



Click tracks are up for the add-a-flam exercises. I made custom tracks for these because of the weird time sigs. There is a click on each hand change for 'quarter notes', every other hand change for 'half notes' and every 4th hand change for 'whole notes'.
Ryan Wold
Image
Image
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09


Kaitou Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:51 am



snarescience wrote:Click tracks are up for the add-a-flam exercises. I made custom tracks for these because of the weird time sigs. There is a click on each hand change for 'quarter notes', every other hand change for 'half notes' and every 4th hand change for 'whole notes'.
*Respectful question* Why didn't you just do a constant 8th note click?
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage


snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 1793
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:56 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:58 am



Kaitou wrote:
snarescience wrote:Click tracks are up for the add-a-flam exercises. I made custom tracks for these because of the weird time sigs. There is a click on each hand change for 'quarter notes', every other hand change for 'half notes' and every 4th hand change for 'whole notes'.
*Respectful question* Why didn't you just do a constant 8th note click?
An eighth note track would not offer much variation in skill building over the VDL exercise mp3. The main point of the click tracks is to improve your tempo keeping ability.
Ryan Wold
Image
Image
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09


Drummer Merv Offline
grammar police
grammar police
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:05 pm



It wouldn't be possible to create our own exercises, would it? I'm assuming it's using prerecorded mp3's and isn't actually "reading" the music.
Snebasseor wrote:Drummer Mervowned


snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 1793
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:56 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:25 pm



It is all prerecorded and edited mp3s. That is why it is taking me a while to get up the new click tracks. Each exercise is taking me around 30 minutes of work.
Ryan Wold
Image
Image
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09


Kaitou Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm



snarescience wrote:
Kaitou wrote:
snarescience wrote:Click tracks are up for the add-a-flam exercises. I made custom tracks for these because of the weird time sigs. There is a click on each hand change for 'quarter notes', every other hand change for 'half notes' and every 4th hand change for 'whole notes'.
*Respectful question* Why didn't you just do a constant 8th note click?
An eighth note track would not offer much variation in skill building over the VDL exercise mp3. The main point of the click tracks is to improve your tempo keeping ability.
Ah..seems incredibly obvious now..lol..thanks for all your hard work..we all really appreciate it
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage


Jeo Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:21 am
Location: Santa Maria, CA

Re:

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:51 pm



If this were to become an app.. Oh my.


snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 1793
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:56 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:09 pm



It is meant to work on all mobile devices through the default web browser. I have not tested it extensively yet, however. It works great on my android device. :)
Ryan Wold
Image
Image
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09


Bcola Offline
noob
noob
User avatar
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:22 pm
Location: Thomasville, NC

Excellent!

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:39 pm



I intend on using this daily, and i have at least 3 friends who plan on the same!
Just tried it on my iPhone 4s in Safari, and it worked pretty well. Minus not having the sheet music right on screen, I can confirm it worked fine. It would be cool if you added "Groups" or "Sectionals" or "Challenges" or something to that affect, where you could challenge other users or assign them workouts. A nifty little checklist visible to other people in the group could create some friendly competition.

Thank you for this incredible practice tool!
Something like this could really help turn around drum newbs who barely practice into masters of percussion!

Thanks again,
Cola
"Simple Things Perfect"


rstetson Offline
noob
noob
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:16 pm

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:04 pm



Hi Ryan - Beginner here. I love the concept, especially I'm visual learner as I'm deaf. I see you already had/have feedback about slower tempos; I'd see it like at 60 bpm on up. Also; would it be possible to have something like a colored dot or some marker that moves while reading the music. That way I can see if I'm following the music with the tempo. Also; my teacher does this for me on notepaper; he makes the notations like when I was learning parradiddle parimid (sp-like I sounds to me) he make counting notations. Like the 1e&a underneath the notations. I would be neat if you could have a feature (that can fade in or out) that could be turned on/off for the beginners while learning to read & play music. I'm liking the idea of using this to build a daily practice routine to build on. Just some thoughts from a old fart learning & loving drumming.

Randy


rstetson Offline
noob
noob
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:16 pm

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:11 pm



Another question; would we still be able to use this on the computer? I would like the bigger screen size


flamgod Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:13 pm
Location: Alabama,USA

Re: PracticePad - forum release for beta testing

Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:30 pm



plans to make it as an app and sell it on mobile market and use us as guinea pigs...phase 3? 0o;


Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [ 74 posts ]





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum