Can someone help explain my technique problems?

submit youtube videos for discussion and critique by fellow snarescience members

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

chellelee75 Offline
noob
noob

Can someone help explain my technique problems?

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:14 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OErwlD ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

I've been told my sound is good, but my technique has problems, but no one has explained it in a way I understand. Can someone help?

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: Can someone help explain my technique problems?

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:14 am

Your right arm seems to be too high. This causes your elbow to protrude and affects your playing angle which in turn affects the sound quality of your right hand. Relax your arm and bring it down into a more natural position. When you play in a more relaxed, natural position, you prevent tension and most musicians know that tension is the enemy of technique.

Make sure that you adhere to a height system and control your strokes more. Your right hand seems to be "floundering" off course just a bit and this will also affect your sound quality and efficiency of strokes. Control your grace notes more for a more consistent sound.

I would of course suggest the age old recommendation of playing 8's with focus on stroke velocity and sound quality. It's very tempting for young players to venture out into the wide world of difficulty before proper foundations are set in. Continue working basics everyday. This will bleed over into your solo playing.

Your left hand was cut off but it seems that the angle might need some adjusting.
A little less motion with the left elbow would be desirable.

Hope this helps. Others may chime in with more suggestions. You can get bombarded
with so many suggestions that you can become confused at times. Just focus on a relaxed
style and control your strokes and you will become a more consistent player I'm sure.
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Can someone help explain my technique problems?

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:44 pm

chellelee75 wrote: I've been told my sound is good, but my technique has problems, but no one has explained it in a way I understand. Can someone help?
Your sound is good. See if you can make it a little heavier. It's kind of hard to explain this not in person. You do need more control to play better rhythms (and that comes with time) and I think I may have some tips for that part.

Make sure you're initiating the motion from the bead of the stick. It looks like your wrist (right hand is what I noticed) moves first, then the stick comes up in a whipping motion. Everyone is initiating from the wrist these days. Turn your wrist, like knocking on a door. Imagine that there's a string tied to the bead of the stick and it's being pulled up.

You're playing with a German grip, meaning the thumb is on the side of the stick. Try rotating your hand such that the thumb rests about 45ยบ up on the stick. Halfway between French and German grip. This allows you to use the thumb as a pivot point when you play faster, and allows a much fuller range of motion.

Check out the article 'drumming mechanics - a system of levers' in the articles section on the website. It looks like you've mostly learned by yourself and could use some help building good habits.

Good luck!
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18