Trying to Play 8-on-a-Hand at 312 BPM

submit youtube videos for discussion and critique by fellow snarescience members

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

So It Goes Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Trying to Play 8-on-a-Hand at 312 BPM

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:08 am

At the laundromat.

So It Goes Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:47 am

Hugga Dugga Burr w/ Rolls and Singles at 156 BPM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT4LTciyQP0

Flammus '98 at 156 BPM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agTVZK5Q6lQ

SCV Threes at 180 BPM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdFXLDPxYck

Ad-Lib Fast Paradiddle Thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBoQqlu1Dx4

Ratamacue Thing at 150 BPM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4jXWbRU6PA

'99 Blue Devil Shopping Spree: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxlFDo4xMHw

Martian Mambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwKZVbk7hhI

My High School Drumline's On-Field Warm-Up From 1995: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU202rUqtYY

Rolly Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re:

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:51 am

Ryan, your videos show that you can play at great speed but just confirm in my mind that chasing the fastest speeds possible does not result in better music. In fact, it ends up going the opposite way. It becomes a blur of notes that lack musicality. It honestly looks and sounds ridiculous. I didn't listen through to the end of one of those videos. :roll:

I had a great drumming teacher years ago who plays faster, cleaner and more musically than you tell me that playing super fast only shows that you can play super fast. It requires considerable time to achieve and maintain, but almost no applicable context - time which he invested instead on other musical goals. He told me that in the world of professional music that he would never be asked to play something like this.

So It Goes Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Re:

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:09 am

Rolly wrote:Ryan, your videos show that you can play at great speed but just confirm in my mind that chasing the fastest speeds possible does not result in better music. In fact, it ends up going the opposite way. It becomes a blur of notes that lack musicality. It honestly looks and sounds ridiculous. I didn't listen through to the end of one of those videos. :roll:

I had a great drumming teacher years ago who plays faster, cleaner and more musically than you tell me that playing super fast only shows that you can play super fast. It requires considerable time to achieve and maintain, but almost no applicable context - time which he invested instead on other musical goals. He told me that in the world of professional music that he would never be asked to play something like this.
They're exercises, smart guy.

Exercises.

For exercising.

Rolly Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re: Trying to Play 8-on-a-Hand at 312 BPM

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:31 am

Agreed, but to what end? There are tons of drummers who like to see how fast they can go. I am one of them, too. But there reaches a point when clarity and sound quality becomes sacrificed. Flams no longer sound like flams and become double stops. Diddles start to sound like poorly executed buzz rolls. Muscles struggle and become increasingly tense, and this can be heard in the sound produced. Things just start to sound ugly. You win the race, but have left the music behind.

So It Goes Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:16 pm

K, thanks.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Re:

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:29 pm

So It Goes wrote: They're exercises, smart guy.

Exercises.

For exercising.

See, I like these. Playing fast is a good workout, just like playing an open roll for 20 minutes. You're never going to play a roll that long in a performance; that's ridiculous. And sound quality will go down the drain due to fatigue.

Something to think about when building the skills to play fast is how you're improving in terms of sound quality and simple endurance. Like, being mindful of speeding up as much as you can without sacrificing sound quality. Playing fast with good sound is a skill set, just like playing in time is a skill set.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

Rolly Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:02 am

I have been practicing hard and can conceptually play all of Three Camps in one second! I have notated it for you thusly - . It sounds in my mind like a door slamming. The interesting thing I have noticed though is that when Three Camps is played infinitely slower, that the first note of the piece at this slow tempo sounds exactly like the entire piece when it is played in one second. Mind blown! Each sound then becomes a series of performances of Three Camps. Listeners might find this confusing, however - wondering if the piece is being played very slowly or very fast. One would just have to wait and see I suppose, depending on the speed played. Imagine though the piece played at 0,0000000000000000000000000000000000 beats per year, waiting a lifetime for that second note to fall and then dying before it occurred! That would be a tragedy, wouldn't it? So, what does this all mean for us as musicians? It means that we can play with less effort and compress all of those notes into a single sonic event. In fact, I propose that theoretically all the music ever created can be distilled down to a single brief moment and sound event. Just think of that! This frees up huge amounts of time for us to pursue other things that might be of interest to us - reading this forum for instance. I have also realized that visual arts can also be theoretically treated in the same way. A film can be seen in a flash of colour. An entire film festival could be viewed in a brief moment of time. This entire message could be compressed visually as well and save you readers valuable time. In fact, if all of the great works of literature were to be compressed visually into the shortest space imaginable, it could be notated thusly . Getting the point, so to speak, now takes on an entirely new meaning. Or perhaps it has no meaning at all. It all depends on the mindset of the receiver.

So It Goes Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:39 am

Rolly wrote:I have been practicing hard and can conceptually play all of Three Camps in one second! I have notated it for you thusly - . It sounds in my mind like a door slamming. The interesting thing I have noticed though is that when Three Camps is played infinitely slower, that the first note of the piece at this slow tempo sounds exactly like the entire piece when it is played in one second. Mind blown! Each sound then becomes a series of performances of Three Camps. Listeners might find this confusing, however - wondering if the piece is being played very slowly or very fast. One would just have to wait and see I suppose, depending on the speed played. Imagine though the piece played at 0,0000000000000000000000000000000000 beats per year, waiting a lifetime for that second note to fall and then dying before it occurred! That would be a tragedy, wouldn't it? So, what does this all mean for us as musicians? It means that we can play with less effort and compress all of those notes into a single sonic event. In fact, I propose that theoretically all the music ever created can be distilled down to a single brief moment and sound event. Just think of that! This frees up huge amounts of time for us to pursue other things that might be of interest to us - reading this forum for instance. I have also realized that visual arts can also be theoretically treated in the same way. A film can be seen in a flash of colour. An entire film festival could be viewed in a brief moment of time. This entire message could be compressed visually as well and save you readers valuable time. In fact, if all of the great works of literature were to be compressed visually into the shortest space imaginable, it could be notated thusly . Getting the point, so to speak, now takes on an entirely new meaning. Or perhaps it has no meaning at all. It all depends on the mindset of the receiver.
Just because you can't play fast doesn't mean your art (or life) is invalid.

Rolly Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:33 am

If we compress a lifetime into just seconds, that would be next to meaningless. Each person's life is a unique composition and the person, the performer of that life - we are all a work of art. Some art we like, some less so. Imagine all of humanity, like a massive collection of art work compressed into a few seconds. And what of all of the time between those lives? Would it be tossed aside or would it be gathered together? Conservation of mass - there must be too a conservation of time, creating the endless void. Lives like compressed works of art, all waiting for the master composer's baton, perhaps waiting for what seems to us an eternity for the next note to fall.

So It Goes Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:03 am

That's deep, man.

Sangerman Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:05 pm

or just after you ageout you get bored so you just play *beep* fast