Fat Mama Dancin'

submit youtube videos for discussion and critique by fellow snarescience members

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

CheeseDiddleEgg5 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Fat Mama Dancin'

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:37 am

Hey, everybody. Here's a video of me playing Fat Mama Dancin'. (I know my shirt is light-colored, but I think my sticks are obvious enough to tell stick heights. If not, please let me know and I will re-shoot):

I am primarily a drumset drummer and, apart from my college marching band, I've never played in a line, so I know my heights, for example, aren't the best. What do you think needs improvement? Thanks a lot for your criticism!
Don't read this.

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: Fat Mama Dancin'

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:27 pm

Nice rendition. I think the angle and height of the playing surface you are using is affecting
your basic technique and ultimately your execution, although you seem to have a firm grasp
of the fundamentals. You have nice solid singles around the 24 second mark and beyond.
The 4-flam figure at :27 is a bit undefined. Nice control and clarity of rhythms at :37-:40.
:47-:49 is nice as well as :33-:35. The excessive movement of your left elbow is very noticeable
when you play rolls.(for a drum set player that's not an issue, but if you're looking for a line
critique, you would need to eliminate that excessive motion to match styles with others.)
I really think if you would adjust the angle and height of the pad you're playing on (if possible),
many things would become more defined. Take this for what it's worth coming from a 54
year old dude who marched drum corps before many of the people on this forum were born.
The definition(or lack thereof)of my personal present-day playing doesn't even resemble what
it was when I marched in college and drum corps. I enjoy playing everyday and I pretty much
play how I want without regard to extreme definition of this and that. As long as I can play
the music I write on a weekly basis I am happy. This is a great site for constructive criticism
and the musical exercises available for free are second to none. I have learned and continue to
learn a lot from this site and we're glad you decided to post.

By the way, is that a practice pad drum set? If so what brand?
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

CheeseDiddleEgg5 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:24 pm

Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Nice rendition. I think the angle and height of the playing surface you are using is affecting
your basic technique and ultimately your execution, although you seem to have a firm grasp
of the fundamentals. You have nice solid singles around the 24 second mark and beyond.
The 4-flam figure at :27 is a bit undefined. Nice control and clarity of rhythms at :37-:40.
:47-:49 is nice as well as :33-:35. The excessive movement of your left elbow is very noticeable
when you play rolls.(for a drum set player that's not an issue, but if you're looking for a line
critique, you would need to eliminate that excessive motion to match styles with others.)
I really think if you would adjust the angle and height of the pad you're playing on (if possible),
many things would become more defined. ...

Thank you muchly for the criticism! Yeah, I agree my flams were undefined at those points, sometimes a bit too open or the notes were too tight together. I'll try to mess around with the height and angle of the pad. I usually don't pay much attention to that, but I didn't realize it's having such a noticeable affect on my playing. As for the elbow movement, do you mean I should rely more on my wrists so that my left elbow isn't swaying so much?

The pad I'm using is part of DW's Go Anywhere Practice Set.
Don't read this.

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:27 pm

CheeseDiddleEgg5 wrote:
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Nice rendition. I think the angle and height of the playing surface you are using is affecting
many things would become more defined. ...

Thank you muchly for the criticism! Yeah, I agree my flams were undefined at those points, sometimes a bit too open or the notes were too tight together. I'll try to mess around with the height and angle of the pad. I usually don't pay much attention to that, but I didn't realize it's having such a noticeable affect on my playing. As for the elbow movement, do you mean I should rely more on my wrists so that my left elbow isn't swaying so much?

The pad I'm using is part of DW's Go Anywhere Practice Set.
Yes, more wrist, but if you move your arms I would try to move them up and down instead of out to the side.
Once again, it is what it is. If you're simply trying to play to have fun and not worried about your style of playing
then have at it. That's what I do pretty much. I saw the DW practice pad set after I asked the question.
Looks like a great product. I'd buy one for my son but he has confiscated my Gretsch jazz kit and we've set it
up in his room. "Hey get your own drum set!" :lol:
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer