Blue Devils 2014|Sterling|

submit youtube videos for discussion and critique by fellow snarescience members

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Sabeel Khurram Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Blue Devils 2014|Sterling|

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:29 pm

The famed Blue Devils warmup "Sterling". Sorry about the second rep, in the middle of the rep my mom called for me and then I heard a really sketchy sound nearby at the end of it(hence the mess up). You can't hear both in the vid but there was some weird stuff going on. All tips appreciated! Enjoy!

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Blue Devils 2014|Sterling|

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:01 am

SABEEL!!! COME GETCHA DINNER!!!!

Nice playing. I can see a good emphasis on accuracy, but I think you need to put some focus on strength... you can see/hear it with triple strokes and accent tap. You should also work on building consistency from hand to hand, especially with accent heights.

Are you a lefty?

Good job... keep it up.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

Sabeel Khurram Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:30 pm

schorsquatch wrote:SABEEL!!! COME GETCHA DINNER!!!!

Nice playing. I can see a good emphasis on accuracy, but I think you need to put some focus on strength... you can see/hear it with triple strokes and accent tap. You should also work on building consistency from hand to hand, especially with accent heights.

Are you a lefty?

Good job... keep it up.
Thanks man! No I'm not lefty but I have been working on my left to make it as high in pitch as my right. Maybe I went too far?

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:15 pm

Yeah, I think so... your playing screamed lefty. Remember the idea is to have a balanced sound on each hand, and as a consequence most players have to work the weak hand extra hard to achieve the balanced sound. But you don't have to work the left just to work the left. Don't forget what you are actually trying to accomplish with all this practice.

My favorite is to work double stops in front of a mirror to assess. You can also use some good chop out exercises (like the rest of us). My favorite is the long roll.

High pitch? Can I get you to clarify that? Are you talking dynamics (loudness)... or are you talking about actual "frequency of the sound" pitch?
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

Sangerman Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:36 am

I noticed in transitions your first note would be louder than the rest, even in the moeller threes, your first accent would be higher than the rest of the accents in the passage. Try getting that consistent sound quality in those first couple beats and eliminate the adjustment time
BTTB Snare July '11 - '13
Blue Saints Snare '13
Pacific Crest '16

Jason Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:49 pm

I think the moeller part could have more definition between accents and taps. Other than that nice consistency between hand heights in my opinion. By the way, I'm new don't listen to me
¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..Jå$øn..¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸...............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,..
...............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ.............D®µm G33K............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ..............

'12-'13 MHS Alto Sax "Latin Heat"
'13-'14 MHS Flute "Riverdance"
'14-'15 MHS Marimba "Styx"
'15-'16 MHS Snare "Hard Rock"
billc36 wrote:My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:15 pm

Jason wrote:I think the moeller part could have more definition between accents and taps. Other than that nice consistency between hand heights in my opinion. By the way, I'm new don't listen to me
Bahaha that's how I used to feel about everything I ever said ever... Now I figure I've been on here long enough people know I'm full of it. Don't worry about nitpicking other people- The fact that you recognize the little things says a lot, especially when you're new to the art of hacking. Just as long as you don't come across as pretentious you're good xD
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.