Eights and Sevens, Thirteen

submit youtube videos for discussion and critique by fellow snarescience members

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

BobW Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Eights and Sevens, Thirteen

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:25 pm

Nick has been trying to improve since his RA48 video submission. Eights and Sevens is a Legato type piece, and then Thirteen has dynamics. These are out of a 2015 DCI audition book. Nick is scheduled to go to a Pioneer and a Colt Cadet camp, and is trying to clean up as best as possible his snare presentation.

Because I was moving the camera, the microphone occasionally has to readjust itself, thus some booming moments here and there. He was not too warmed up when I filmed Eights and Sevens, so he says he was a little stressed. On Thirteen, he says he missed a Buck. We see the slice in the left hand, but do not know to what degree it is acceptable.

Always Improving Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re:

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:59 pm

A way to fix the left hand slice is to think about bringing the stick up towards your eye. If it looks like the stick is coming toward your face, it's more than likely going straight up and down

It also looks like you're using too much arm in the left handed portion of 13. Make sure you get the stick back up for accents using your wrist instead of your arm.

Another thing to work on is the height of the first tap after every accent. Make sure the tap really gets down to the correct height

And just make sure that the eighth note spacing is staying consistent throughout the entire exercise

Looking better :)
DHS 2012 - Pit
DHS 2013-2014 - Snare

GSU 2016 - Snare

Atlanta CV 2014-2016 - Snare

CVI 2015 - Snare
Q2 2018 - Snare
AQ 2019 - Snare

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Eights and Sevens, Thirteen

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:23 pm

Easy to tell he's been working his tail off on his stick control. It's really awesome the way you're motivating and working with him, too. It's not fun when you get next to no support from your parents.
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.

JBTenors08 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:36 pm

BobW wrote:Nick has been trying to improve since his RA48 video submission. Eights and Sevens is a Legato type piece, and then Thirteen has dynamics. These are out of a 2015 DCI audition book. Nick is scheduled to go to a Pioneer and a Colt Cadet camp, and is trying to clean up as best as possible his snare presentation.

Because I was moving the camera, the microphone occasionally has to readjust itself, thus some booming moments here and there. He was not too warmed up when I filmed Eights and Sevens, so he says he was a little stressed. On Thirteen, he says he missed a Buck. We see the slice in the left hand, but do not know to what degree it is acceptable.

We are looking for percussionists over at Racine Scouts Drum and Bugle corps. If he's interested in a great starting place to begin his drum corps career, it would be a nice place to start.

The improvement from the first video you posted to this one is pretty astonishing. With that kind of work ethic, he WILL go far. Email us if you're interested Percussion@racinescouts.com
Sit the *beep* down. Shut the *beep* up. Hear clean beats.

SAU Quadline: 07, 09-11
Racine Scouts 2015: Tenor Tech

My facebook
My Twitter

Sangerman Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:29 pm

I think a little bit of arm on the right hand will go a long way. Seems 100% wrist right now which will most likely cause problems in the future.
BTTB Snare July '11 - '13
Blue Saints Snare '13
Pacific Crest '16

BobW Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:48 am

All of the information has been passed on to Nick. Thank you. After the Pioneer camp this weekend, we'll put together some status update.