A Traditional Grip Tutorial For Beginners

submit youtube videos for discussion and critique by fellow snarescience members

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Oprah Winfrey Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

A Traditional Grip Tutorial For Beginners

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:52 pm

I made this for one of the other forums I visit, but I thought it might be helpful for anybody wanting to explore traditional grip.

Hope it helps!

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: A Traditional Grip Tutorial For Beginners

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:58 am

5:10... the "beak". For some reason, this looks like a bird head to me... like you are about to peck up kernals of corn. Whatever... my brain.

5:35... turning a doorknob? I usually just kick doors in, so I'm not familiar with that.

Good video... thanks!
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

Oprah Winfrey Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:40 am

schorsquatch wrote:5:10... the "beak". For some reason, this looks like a bird head to me... like you are about to peck up kernals of corn. Whatever... my brain.

5:35... turning a doorknob? I usually just kick doors in, so I'm not familiar with that.

Good video... thanks!
Thanks, dude. The video is meant for the people who peruse these forums in search of pointers. Hopefully it'll help someone somewhere.

SteelSampson Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:44 pm

Seems legit and it's very straight forward. Good work.

If you don't mind me asking, what part of the country are you from? The 9ers shirt (that's my team btw) says west coast am I right assuming that? The reason I ask Is there seem to be slightly different styles depending on where you go, I am a mix of Texas and Massachusetts or Cavies and Cadets (which are actually quite different lol). Which actually seems to end up being very close to west coast. The only major difference I see is that Texans seem to put the fulcrum on the left hand stick slightly farther back.

Though as you said in the video the difference around the country tend to be very minor and most drumlines are all based on the principles you laid out.

P.S. the video cuts out on youtube for me at about 6:25 and seems like that's where you intended to end the video, but there is still time remaining on the video.

Oprah Winfrey Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:34 pm

SteelSampson wrote:Seems legit and it's very straight forward. Good work.

If you don't mind me asking, what part of the country are you from? The 9ers shirt (that's my team btw) says west coast am I right assuming that? The reason I ask Is there seem to be slightly different styles depending on where you go, I am a mix of Texas and Massachusetts or Cavies and Cadets (which are actually quite different lol). Which actually seems to end up being very close to west coast. The only major difference I see is that Texans seem to put the fulcrum on the left hand stick slightly farther back.

Though as you said in the video the difference around the country tend to be very minor and most drumlines are all based on the principles you laid out.

P.S. the video cuts out on youtube for me at about 6:25 and seems like that's where you intended to end the video, but there is still time remaining on the video.
Glad to see that you got something out of it. I agree that it's just a generic look at tradish. My hope is that anyone who sees it will be able to make adjustments for their program of choice. I'm from Portland, Oregon, but I've lived all over the West Coast. (I was stationed in San Antonio, when I was in the Army). I've been a 49er fan since I was 7, and I live in Sacramento now. The grip that I learned originated with my high school drum teacher, Bob Knodel, and is really just a product of my own experimentation from there. I got the idea of the grip resembling the natural posture of the hand from a guy named Nate Ross, who got it from Jude Jennes, who probably got it from Willy Higgins, who was Cadets' snare tech in the 90's.