Critique my drumming please

submit youtube videos for discussion and critique by fellow snarescience members

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

How did I do?

A. OMG
No votes
B. Great
No votes
C. Good
No votes
D. OK
No votes
E. Not Bad
100%
F. Bad
No votes
G.Terrible
No votes

Total votes: 1

mike70441 Offline
noob
noob

Critique my drumming please

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:42 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wBc4tt ... HiELG47mFQ

Please watch video and critique on my drumming so that I may improve. Going out for my high school drumline (Snare)

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Critique my drumming please

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:57 pm

Two things immediately jump out.

1. Your right hand. Check out how there is a break between your forearm and the stick. There should be pretty close to a straight line going from your forearm down the stick. By having this disconnect, you are introducing tension into your playing (always bad).

2. In both hands, you are locking your forearms and getting all your motion from wrist turn only. Yes the wrist is the primary source of motion at this tempo, but you want to allow your arms to move reactively to your proactive wrist. This reduces tension also and will give you a full sound, which is currently weak.

Make sure to use a met.
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

Sangerman Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Critique my drumming please

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:39 am

Take your left hand, put it at vertical, open your hand up so you're holding your stick with just your thumb and first finger, and whack the pad, use your hand muscles to put the velocity into the stick and as soon as it hits the pad you have to relax your hand and let the stick just fly back up. It looks like your just moving the stick into the pad and lifting it out. When you dribble a basketball, you don't place it on the ground and pick it back up right?

So try doing that, even at say 6 inches, so you understand how the mechanics of the left hand work a little bit better. Your bottom fingers mostly just stop the stick from moving, but only AFTER you've put some beef into the drum/pad. Make sure you aren't hindering the stick's motion
BTTB Snare July '11 - '13
Blue Saints Snare '13
Pacific Crest '16