Drum Corps? (what is it? what is dca/wgi?)

discuss Drum Corps International and Winter Guard International news / gossip / etc

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

LuckySnare7 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Drum Corps? (what is it? what is dca/wgi?)

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:12 am

I'm kinda of a noob when it comes to drum corps. First of all, what does that refer to, simply a drumline in a college or is that something different entirely? I.e. RCC Drumline vs. Phantom Regiment and how does one enter one (can you enter one in high school) and what is "aging out"? What and where are these associated camps a lot of people are commenting on? Finally, are there separate marching drumming associations/lines not associated with schools (possibly for adults as a career) or is that a corps. Thanks for the replys guys; hope this question isn't too ignorant or overanalysized on my part :)

TheDude Offline
grammar sheriff
grammar sheriff

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:55 am

Drum Corps (short for drum & bugle corps) are independent marching ensembles that consist of: Color guard, Percussion (Front ensemble and battery), and Brass. Drum corps are independent and don't have affiliation with any schools, but they are all connected to an organization called DCI. Phantom Regiment is a drum corps.

RCC Drumline is not a drum corps. RCC Drumline usually refers to the indoor drumline. Indoor drumlines are independent percussion ensembles that compete indoors. They are connected to an organization called WGI.

When people talk about drum corps camps, it usually refers to audition camps. You don't just say, "Hey, I want to join Phantom Regiment" and then they let you in. You must go to the camps and show you have the skills for drum corps. You can join DCI when you are high school age up until you are 21 yrs-old. (22 if after a certain date.)

There are corps for people older than 21 (but not limited to people older than 21) called senior corps. That's called DCA.

To join any of the above you must pay. Getting money out of your marching percussion skills is not easy. The best you could do would probably be to teach.

Hope that answered all your questions! (and I hope I answered them correctly :?) :D
If Descartes was right, you wouldn't exist.

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:12 am

I love TheDude - excellent response.

I remember going to my first drum corps show in 1995, completely clueless. When we got to the stadium I heard hornlines warming up and I was like, 'Oh man, I thought this was just going to be drums! " :x

Then I saw Scouts '95 and couldn't sleep for like 3 days because it made such an impression on me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09

AjaxHammer Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:49 am

wait wait.

how much money would you make if you did a drum corps, got a docterates degree in music, teach, and do clinicians? how much money would that be about every year?

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:02 am

nice question, and I should probably sticky this just in case someone else is too afraid to ask in the future. Nice response TheDude.

I would also like to add that not only do you have to pay a corps fee to be with the corps if you make the cut, you also don't get paid to march. Once you pay your corps fee for the summer that pays for your food, places to sleep (gym floors, sometimes hotels if it's finals night), gas (that goes on the buses) .

In DCI (Drum Corps International) there's two divisions : World Class (used to be called Div. 1) and Open Class (used to be divided up as Div. 2 and Div. 3), those are based on size (world being bigger) and though it's never officially said, how good they are more people get a better entertainment factor out of the world class corps opposed to the open class corps . That being said it's harder to get into world class than it is in Open class.

Corps meet once a month (auditions are still kind of held during this time) to learn the music and the drill until May comes around and the corps does a thing called "move-ins" , where they move into a place where the corps can sleep and rehearse. Most of the time they check when is the best time for most of the kids in high school and college to move-in even though some have to miss a few weeks due to later semester end dates.

Then they tour throughout the summer in a form of competition, where the shows get better and better...what you hear at the beginning of the tour in mid to late June wont be as exciting or as well executed as the same corps and the same show will sound during Finals week in August.

Shows are held in high school stadiums and colleges if possible, Regionals such as the DCI Southeastern Championship or DCI Eastern Classic are held in college stadiums.

for more info go to dci.org

DCA is Drum Corps Associates, which as TheDude said is consisted mostly of those who can no longer march in DCI and some who can. Corps tour and rehearse on the weekends, that way the members can work during the weekdays. There is Class A and Open Class in DCA, which sort of works like the way DCI does. DCA mostly has older people who aged out of DCI years ago as well as 14 year olds who didn't get into their corps of choice, or just want an easy start early in life. Finals week for DCA is way later, in September at Rochester, NY.

DCAcorps.org

WGI is Winter Guard International and consists of two immediate divisions: Colorguard and Percussion

within those there's Independent and Scholastic divisions , Independent meaning they stand alone as an organization and Scholastic meaning they are from a high school or college.

Within the Independent and Scholastic Divisions theres Class A, Open Class, and World Class.

As far as I know most independent organizations rehearse on the weekends while the scholastic ones do it at their digression (every day, just the weekends, whatever)

Indoor drumlines have the whole show with well...just drums! Pit usually has to take up more of the melody and battery ends up doing more visual/body work then that typically do in drum corps, although the activity is being pushed every year due to WGI's advances in what we can do with drums on carriers, in turn it helps out the drum corps activity.

WGI.org
CorpsVets 08' - Pit
Memphis Sound 09' - Snare
University of North Alabama 09' 10' - Snare
University of North Alabama - 11' 13'- Quads
Gateway Indoor 11' - Quads

TheDude Offline
grammar sheriff
grammar sheriff

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:13 pm

snarescience wrote:I love TheDude - excellent response.
Thanks. :D Although I now realize I did make a mistake. I said indoor drumlines are independent (which some are not), but PhantomPhan89 clarified that.
If Descartes was right, you wouldn't exist.

LuckySnare7 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:18 pm

lol yeah it was kind of embarassing asking something that seemed like everyone else knew about, :oops: but i figured i had to learn some time; better sooner than later. After reading through a lot of forums i saw the people here are pretty friendly and informative so it didn't seem so bad. :) Woohoo I got a sticky! :lol:

Chris_Dakine Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:04 am

hey i always wanted to know why woodwinds arent included in DCI. o_o

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:36 pm

I know I'm very late in responding but drum corps don't have woodwinds because you cannot hear them unless nobody else is playing. This however is a whole nother' argument for another day, haha. You can find pages upon pages about this argument at drumcorpsplanet.com 's forums, just like you can find arguments about weither people should switch to Bflat or G keyed bugles, or if we should even call it drum and BUGLE corps, and vocalization, blah blah blah.
CorpsVets 08' - Pit

Timartin Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:02 pm

Chris_Dakine wrote:hey i always wanted to know why woodwinds arent included in DCI. o_o
because woodwind players have no business in something as BA as Drumcorps!
Glassmen Snare - 12
Matrix Snare - 13, 14

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:18 pm

Timartin wrote:
Chris_Dakine wrote:hey i always wanted to know why woodwinds arent included in DCI. o_o
...well, it's ACTUALLY because the activity evolved out of the old military/VFW marching parade bands which didn't have woodwinds. These old brass instruments were bugles - meaning no valves. All the notes are made with the embouchre. Woodwinds really can't be heard over the brass so they just never were utilized...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

Dan.Diaz.Music Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:46 pm

PhantomPhan89 wrote:nice question, and I should probably sticky this just in case someone else is too afraid to ask in the future. Nice response TheDude.

I would also like to add that not only do you have to pay a corps fee to be with the corps if you make the cut, you also don't get paid to march. Once you pay your corps fee for the summer that pays for your food, places to sleep (gym floors, sometimes hotels if it's finals night), gas (that goes on the buses) .

In DCI (Drum Corps International) there's two divisions : World Class (used to be called Div. 1) and Open Class (used to be divided up as Div. 2 and Div. 3), those are based on size (world being bigger) and though it's never officially said, how good they are (more people get a better entertainment factor out of the world class corps opposed to the open class corps) . That being said it's harder to get into world class than it is in Open class.

Corps meet once a month (auditions are still kind of held during this time) to learn the music and the drill until May comes around and the corps does a thing called "move-ins" , where they move into a place where the corps can sleep and rehearse. Most of the time they make deals with colleges to do this.

Then they tour throughout the summer in a form of competition, where the shows get better and better...what you hear at the beginning of the tour in mid to late June wont be as exciting or as well executed as the same corps and the same show will sound during Finals week in August.

Shows are held in high school stadiums and colleges if possible, Regionals such as the DCI Southeastern Championship or DCI Eastern Classic are held in college stadiums.

for more info go to dci.org

DCA is Drum Corps Associates, which as TheDude said is consisted mostly of those who can no longer march in DCI and some who can. Corps tour and rehearse on the weekends, that way the members can work during the weekdays. There is Class A and Open Class in DCA, which sort of works like the way DCI does.

DCAcorps.org

WGI is Winter Guard International and consists of two immediate divisions: Colorguard and Percussion

within those there's Independent and Scholastic divisions , Independent meaning they stand alone as an organization and Scholastic meaning they are from a high school or college.

Within the Independent and Scholastic Divisions theres Class A, Open Class, and World Class.

As far as I know most independent organizations rehearse on the weekends while the scholastic ones do it at their digression (every day, just the weekends, whatever)

WGI.org
Great response man.
Dan Diaz
Palm Beach County, Florida

Fall season 2009's

William T. Dwyer Percussion Instructor

Palm Beach Central High School Bass Tech

OMS Percussion Instructor

rudlka89 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:04 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:
Timartin wrote:
...well, it's ACTUALLY because the activity evolved out of the old military/VFW marching parade bands which didn't have woodwinds. These old brass instruments were bugles - meaning no valves. All the notes are made with the embouchre. Woodwinds really can't be heard over the brass so they just never were utilized...
I don't want to hear it.
NEW BOARD-APPROVED CODE: "Retard" and its variants are now replaced by "SCV." "Homosexual" and its variants, "Phantom." "Go kill yourself" and its variants, "Go watch Phantom Regiment."

nathanrnst Offline
noob
noob

Re: Drum Corps? (what is it? what is dca/wgi?)

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:24 pm

Are DCA corps easier to get into than DCI corps? How are they different? (other than no age restrictions).

Creekynoise Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:43 pm

I would say it depends on the popularity of the corps, but I think it is somewhat easier to get into a DCA corps than a DCI corps. Since DCI corps are more popular and have more trying out and such. Don't take my word for it though, I haven't audition for either (yet) only going off a friend that marched both (but on brass). Other than the age restriction, the touring is different. They don't tour as heavily as the DCI corps, and im sure they are alot cheaper to march. I can't think of any other big differences at the moment.
Percussionist
'04 - Present

Instructor
'11 - Present

nathanrnst Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:06 pm

thanks

snaredrummer12 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:16 pm

Creekynoise wrote:I would say it depends on the popularity of the corps, but I think it is somewhat easier to get into a DCA corps than a DCI corps. Since DCI corps are more popular and have more trying out and such. Don't take my word for it though, I haven't audition for either (yet) only going off a friend that marched both (but on brass). Other than the age restriction, the touring is different. They don't tour as heavily as the DCI corps, and im sure they are alot cheaper to march. I can't think of any other big differences at the moment.

i think its much easier. i sighned up for sun devils thinking they were going to send me audition music and i got an email a day later giving me a practice schedule and asking me when i can make it.
-Cody Flitcraft
Mosley high school 07-11
Solace percussion 11-present
Facebook
Ron Paul 2012

Creekynoise Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:34 pm

A couple of DCA corps near me (Alliance and CorpVets) are pretty good, atleast percussion wise. Some of them are ex-DCIers them selves so its still a bit of a challenge beating them if you've never marched before, but to what snaredrummer added, it just depends on the corps and where you are and who they have and what they need to fill. It just depends on the pool that they have to select from.
Percussionist
'04 - Present

Instructor
'11 - Present

PogoPantheon Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re:

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:41 pm

snarescience wrote:I love TheDude - excellent response.

I remember going to my first drum corps show in 1995, completely clueless. When we got to the stadium I heard hornlines warming up and I was like, 'Oh man, I thought this was just going to be drums! " :x

Then I saw Scouts '95 and couldn't sleep for like 3 days because it made such an impression on me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
like like like like
i have marched in HS and Div. 2 DCI.
my opinions and comments are mine and mine alone, and in no way reflect the beliefs, teachings, or opinions of any group i am associated with.
sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS wrote:when your about to go insane take the time to stop and appreciate how nice the color guard girls butt looks while shes wearing virtually nothing. give yourself a highfive then go back to being awesome at band.

Nick_drumz Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:33 pm

damn, some old posts getting bumped.

Check out the websites to learn more, just a suggestion.

http://www.dci.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.wgi.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dcacorps.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scdrummer14 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:07 pm

This website will help you if you want to know what WGI is
http://www.wgi.org/contents/What-is-WGI.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
South County Marching Stallions
10-11 Pit
11-12 Pit
12-13 Bass 4

South County Indoor Drumline
2011 Pit
2012 Cymbals

schorsquatch wrote:In addition to the snare drum, I play the snare drum rim.
"Don't do dumb things"-Alan Johnson, Former Band Director at South County High '05-'11

Wagsdrummer92 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:07 pm

I have to Correct you on one thing TheDude, and this is probably not your fault for not knowing this but over the last two seasons the term Senior Corps has been removed from DCA, it is now know as All-Age Corps, because DCA has become a breeding ground for future DCI members.

I marched a DCA Corps Last Year from Atlanta called The CorpsVets, the entire snare line had marched either DCI or WGI and the center was Lance Kindle (the snare soloist for Blast! for the past several years). Several of the horn players marched CorpsVets to prepare themselves for DCI as well, one of my friends tought himself a horn (he's already an accomplished Cellist) got excellent instruction at CorpsVets now he's marching Spirit

All of the Staff has WGI/DCI experience
and several of the older members are DCI Age-outs
We Also had one DCI Hall of Famer marching Soprano/Trumpet Hunter Moss
CorpsVets 2010 Aux "360"
Frequency Inc. 2012 Cymbals "Unconquerable"
Pioneer 2012 Bass 4 "Irish Immigrants: The Hands that Built America"
SU Snare 2012
DSIP Cymbals 2013
Palmetto Percussion 2014 Cymbals
CV Indoor 2015 Cymbals
Alliance DBC Cymbal Instructor
Spirit of Atlanta 2016 Cymbal Instructor
Tates Creek Indoor Ensemble 2017 Cymbal Instructor

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:31 pm

Wagsdrummer92 wrote:I have to Correct you on one thing TheDude, and this is probably not your fault for not knowing this but over the last two seasons the term Senior Corps has been removed from DCA, it is now know as All-Age Corps, because DCA has become a breeding ground for future DCI members.

I marched a DCA Corps Last Year from Atlanta called The CorpsVets, the entire snare line had marched either DCI or WGI and the center was Lance Kindle (the snare soloist for Blast! for the past several years). Several of the horn players marched CorpsVets to prepare themselves for DCI as well, one of my friends tought himself a horn (he's already an accomplished Cellist) got excellent instruction at CorpsVets now he's marching Spirit

I marched CV in 08 :)
CorpsVets 08' - Pit

yoshikinto Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:59 pm

Wagsdrummer92 wrote:I have to Correct you on one thing TheDude, and this is probably not your fault for not knowing this but over the last two seasons the term Senior Corps has been removed from DCA, it is now know as All-Age Corps, because DCA has become a breeding ground for future DCI members.
It's definitely not his fault for not knowing since that post was made before the last two seasons even happened

Cascades: Snare '10

University of Washington: Tenors '10-'11

SaxDrummer Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:01 pm

PhantomPhan89 wrote:

I marched CV in 08 :)
Don't you mean you stood CV? :wink:

Just teasing. Haha.

I can't talk. I haven't stood or marched anywhere yet. But I plan to this season.
Kennyy Smith
C/O '12 SHS Band Captain/Center
Conflux Independent '12- Snare
"To be humble to superiors is duty, to equals courtesy, to inferiors nobleness.”

Facebook