Wanna march DCI/DCA/WGI, but no money? NOT AN ISSUE!!

discuss Drum Corps International and Winter Guard International news / gossip / etc

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Re: Wanna march DCI/DCA/WGI, but no money? NOT AN ISSUE!!

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:49 pm

Anyone having issues right now with money?
H.S. Band, Drum Corps Band. Band.

Bassguy Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Hmm... I'm really not sure how to start. I guess first, I should say thanks for some great ideas. This stuff can really help some kids.
I guess why I'm really replying to this is that, although you have a good set of mind, this could be really hurtful to some. For example, I am marching my second summer this season, and plan to march the two summers after this one that I have, and for me, even when putting the effort towards it, this is much more easily said than done. But maybe its just the case I'm in. Long story short (and this will be a kind of long short) my dad won't help. We don't speak. My mom helps with what she can, but with the job she has, that barely makes a scratch and I would work, but I have college paid for and have to keep my grades up in music school to stay in. That in and of itself is a 24/7 job. The economy is low, and people here in good ole West Virginia won't give anything for arts. They want things that will make them money. Sorry, I'm not trying to scold anyone, just nicly trying to ask to be careful of what you assume. For some of us, it really is an issue.

On the plus side, someone shared this tip with me. Drum Corps started with VFW's so, see if the local VFW will let you give a presentation at their next meeting, then ask for donations afterwards. All you do is explain drum corps and possibly show them a clip or two, just a 10-20 minute thing. Someone at Blue Stars told us about this and he made $900 off of it. So, be creative.
Spirit 2009 - Bass 2
Blue Stars 2010 - Quads
Blue Stars 2012 - Quads Age Out
My opinions are my own and those of no one else's.

templeindoor91 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:52 pm

I've heard that Temple Indoor offers scholarships

kumachan Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Memphonian wrote:Anyone having issues right now with money?
Actually, yes. I've probably made 200 out of the 2000...
Velvet Knights
10': Front Ensemble
Gold
12'-15': Front Ensemble
Orange County Independent/Broken City
11'-16': Front Ensemble

ottomagne Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:18 pm

Memphonian wrote:Anyone having issues right now with money?
Definitely. I have maybe $500 of about $3700+
ImageImage

Drum bandin' since twenty o' seven.

'10 '13
'11'13

dcbd Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:50 am

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_i ... 9c7bee09b2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DCA 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
DCI 2012
PIA 2007, 2008, 2009
PIO 2011
PIW 2013

10oer Player Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:46 am

I came up with a great way to get money this year that on using for indoor, donate blood platelets, it pays $25 and you can do it 2 times a week so you can make $200 a month. Or you can donate sperm too but I just think that's a little weird personally.

Ivan_Tenors13 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:06 am

10oer Player wrote:I came up with a great way to get money this year that on using for indoor, donate blood platelets, it pays $25 and you can do it 2 times a week so you can make $200 a month. Or you can donate sperm too but I just think that's a little weird personally.
I'll have to look into that.. It seems like a good deal for helping someone out. If only you could get paid for donating blood.. Because I do that often. :|

I've considered donating sperm, but I don't know where to go for that, and its just akward.. :shock:
NHS '06-'09:
PCC Marching Band:'10
TofR '09-'10-'11:Center Tenor
OC Independent '11: Drum Kit.
City Sound '11: Q Line

fitzdrummer Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:40 am

Great information here! I get to march with the MS Lions All-State band this summer because of generous donations from local business owners, friends, and family. If you put the effort in, you can most likely look forward to some good help! Anyone can do it!!!

TomTom0702 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:47 am

Sometimes you can get local businesses to sponsor you. I know at least 10 different restaurants and little shops around my town that would love to lend a helping hand. Don't forget the little people. You give them business and they'll return the favor. Just a little something to at least consiider :D
Attachments
Genesis.jpg
Genesis.jpg (7.87 KiB) Viewed 5741 times
Mercedes Tiger Drumline Snare - 09'-12'

JLbluefan09 Offline
snarescience addict
snarescience addict

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:56 am

Thee's this family I've gone to church with since I was a little kid and they own all the amusement parks in Branson. They started the business in the 50's I think and they're loaded with cash. They sponsored one of my friends and gave him $1000. He ended up not marching, but I'm definitely writing them a letter if I make it anywhere. Plus, we have a lot of music stores in the Ozarks.
Gateway Indoor
'12 rack
'13 synth

Music City Drum Corps
'12 synth
pearltenors wrote:IM 13 OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nochops94 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:51 pm

Anyone know how to deal with plane ticket cost during the winter/spring camps? I live in Miami and my dreams corps is SCV but round trip tickets cost around 500 bucks... Multiply that by like 5 camps (assuming I make it in) and you have at least 2500 dollars plus the nearly 3000 in tuition and other fees. I really wana go all out and try to reach my goal instead of settle for a closer corps. The cost of plane tickets is what kills me :cry: Has anyone else had to deal with this and have any advice???
MKHS 08-12

DCA
Tampa Bay Thunder '11, '12- snare
WGI
Aquarius Percussion [PIA] '12- snare
Marcato Independent Percussion '15 [PIO]- snare

FrenticAmnesic Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:58 pm

nochops94 wrote:Anyone know how to deal with plane ticket cost during the winter/spring camps? I live in Miami and my dreams corps is SCV but round trip tickets cost around 500 bucks... Multiply that by like 5 camps (assuming I make it in) and you have at least 2500 dollars plus the nearly 3000 in tuition and other fees. I really wana go all out and try to reach my goal instead of settle for a closer corps. The cost of plane tickets is what kills me :cry: Has anyone else had to deal with this and have any advice???

If you get the plane tickets early enough, you can get a round trip flight for around 200-250. You just have to be smart about it. Literally buying the tickets like 2/3 months in advance.
SLHS 05-08, bass 5
Texas Tech 09-10, bass 5
Spartans 08(bass 4) and 10(bass 5)
Blue Knights 2011 bass 5
Bass.

DarkZeroXP Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:42 pm

Hello, I'm in really need of money now, I have some sponsorship letters, but I don't know exactly where to send them. Can you guys help me with that? I live in Miami. I have gave them out to some friends and I've only collected about 50 bucks out of 1,500. I've heard of asking companies, but I'm not sure which ones or how.

Help will be grealty appreciated! Thank you.

jortiz08 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:14 pm

I'm actually gonna start raising some money very soon (even if I dont make the corp I'm auditioning for this summer). I have a job but I get paid minimum, and im trying to save some of my money to pay for this upcoming indoor season (Independent A, and the fees are extermely low, like $500). But after that, I'm definitely gonna start doing things like talking to local businesses and fundraisers, and save some more of my job money. And the garage sale idea is pure genius :) Thanks for all the tips guys. This really helped!
Hough High School
Snare '10-'11
Snare '11-'12
Snare '12-'13

Revelation Indoor Percussion
Bass '10-'11
Snare '11-'12

Username Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:20 am

I know this post is old, but has anybody ever tried drumming outside with a friend with pads on a busy street for money? If so, how'd it go?