Wanna march DCI/DCA/WGI, but no money? NOT AN ISSUE!!

discuss Drum Corps International and Winter Guard International news / gossip / etc

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

quitwhining8sarefun Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Wanna march DCI/DCA/WGI, but no money? NOT AN ISSUE!!

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:14 pm

It's really not as hard as it seems. You just have to go and get the word out.

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:15 pm

True that.
H.S. Band, Drum Corps Band. Band.

dcbd Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:16 pm

No joke the donations thing, asking for a dollar from a friend really helps. When my friend marched phantom in 06/07 she set up a paypal to have people send her money online. She paid for both years completely just by asking friends on facebook, myspace, aim. Okay not completely....I just know that big old 2200ish for tour, she got both of those out of the way. I think she had to pay for train tickets still but thats about it.
DCA 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
DCI 2012
PIA 2007, 2008, 2009
PIO 2011
PIW 2013

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Because I started LATE last year trying to raise money (mid-April), I wan only able to raise half of my dues, so I had to pay the other half. this season, I'm going to be much more responsible. I'm going to start raising money after the jan camp (jan 16), after I get my contract in hand. Which btw, forte's not handing ANYONE conrtacts until Jan camp, to be fair and let everyone have an equal shot.

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:58 pm

Anyone else have any tips or ideas?

ElBasser Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:14 pm

it kinda goes along with the asking for donations thing, but set up a booth at your local band competitions. the people that go see the kids perform in high school/middle school are all about keeping music alive. if you tell them your story and kinda *hint* at a donation you can make a lot of money. a friend and i did this at our exhibition show to raise money for new drums for the winter season. we made almost $1000 in a day

-Armijo Drumline-
"Once Upon A Mime" 07-08 Bass 4
"Emotions" 08-09 Bass 2
"Confinement" 09-10 Bass 2

rim1990 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:20 pm

Just the boost of encouragement that I needed!! :)

Do you think 6 months is enough time to earn all the money for the fees if I plan to just work for it?

Symphonyarctica Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:11 pm

Memphonian wrote: Bam! $12.50!
Dam you, Justin.
EDITS:
Some corps have a thing set up where if you write a check out to a certain group (Ex. MYPPA), then you get tax return, or something. wasn't sure how it worked, but you mention that, and people wanna give more money. So contact the director about that too, one of Mel's post reminded me..
Charitable donations to non-profit organizations like YEA are tax-deductable, that's you mean. That's why big corporations give millions of dollars to St. Jude's and things like that.
Band.

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:23 pm

rim1990 wrote:Just the boost of encouragement that I needed!! :)

Do you think 6 months is enough time to earn all the money for the fees if I plan to just work for it?
YES. However, you may not want to start until you are COMPLETELY sure you are accepted within the organization, so your not misleading people.
Symphonyarctica wrote:
Charitable donations to non-profit organizations like YEA are tax-deductable, that's you mean. That's why big corporations give millions of dollars to St. Jude's and things like that.
Yes, that is what I meant.

AjaxHammer Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:29 pm

we should sticky this
Boston Crusaders 2011, 2012 - Snare
Jersey Surf 2010 - Snare
Surround Sound 2010 - Snare

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:35 pm

AjaxHammer wrote:we should sticky this
Agreed?

dcbd Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:38 pm

Its pretty obvious to me it should be, and then updated forever, and ever
DCA 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
DCI 2012
PIA 2007, 2008, 2009
PIO 2011
PIW 2013

AjaxHammer Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:40 pm

dcbd wrote:Its pretty obvious to me it should be, and then updated forever, and ever
agreed again
Jersey Surf 2010 - Snare

PogoPantheon Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:18 pm

Memphonian wrote:Snare Science has been needing this topic for a while, so here it is. I'll be adding more and editing the original posts all throughout today.

Have you ever wanted to march DCI, DCA, or WGI, but you "complained" that you couldn't due to money issues? Can't pay for the camps or the tour fees? Are you just bummed out about that fact? Wellll....you don't have to be, ever. There are multiple ways to come up with money, that a lot of people overlook.

The first of course is fundraising. Fundraising is a GREAT way to raise money. Some corps or indoor lines have fundraising ideas set up through the organization, just as a march-a-thon, bowl-a-thon, raffling items, selling magazine subscriptions, you name it. So the first thing you should do is talk to the director and your respective caption head of the organization. Find out whether or not your organization has any fundraisers set up. If not, then suggest that they do. Hey, even car washes will work. Anything to raise money, right?

The second thing is something some people don't feel comfortable doing. However, if you REALLY wanna march, you'll do it. It's asking for donatations from people. Im not talking complete strangers or anything. Ask all your family and all your friends, and I mean ALL. Send out letters (those work GREAT) to everyone, call people, anything. Even if someone gives you $1.00, thats $1.00 less that YOU have to pay out your pocket, so take it. Say your tour dues are $2600.00. If you get 200 people to put in $12.50, there you go! Bam! $12.50! It's just THAT easy! And, if you try, I bet you can find 200 people. And most people wil be willing to give you a little bit of money, after you explain what its about. So send them a letter or phone call, and explain what DCI/DCA/WGI (whichever your doing) is, and where their money is going. It will usually work. A great thing to do is ask people whove marched corps. I wouldn't suggest asking some marching this season, put people who have aged out will usually give a few bucks to help. Heck, from a family friend this past season (turns out he marched 2 years of blue raiders, then phantom for 4-5 years bassline, then aged out with blue raiders) gave me $200.00 this past season. TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS. All because I asked him, and told him about the organization. Ever heard the saying "you'll never know until you try"? It prefectly applies here.

Third; ask for sponserships from companies. If your endorsed by anyone, say sabian or something, send them a letter! Again explain what it is, and that any monetary donatation would be beneficial. If your family works for or owns a buisness, ask em. Anyone in your family with connections can hook you up. I know people that have COMPLETELY paid their dues, just by asked a company to sponser them.

And fourth would be YOU fundraising/working yourself. You could go mow a few lawns maybe, get a couple bucks. Or sell a product, much like people sell cookie dough. There are many ways to fundraise, be creative!

With all this in mind, I'm sure you can think of some ways to raise money for dues. Many, many staff and members of DCI corps have said "Money is NEVER an issue". And really, however much you argue, its not. I just gave you multiple ways you can raise money, so better come up with a better excuse. Where there's a will, there's a way. Think about it. If you marched Corps, you'd be putting in 110% all summer long. Why not give that 110% now? You can raise the money. I personally know many people who never had to put in a PENNY for drum corps. And howd they raise the money? Fundraising, sending out letters asking for donatations, EVERYTHING that I mentioned here. Two such examples are the Mulherin twins from Memphis, TN. They both raised ALL their dues (which, between the two of them, was AT LEAST $5200.00). And, they had money left over for spending money for the summer! So really, there is absolutely NO time when the "money excuse" is acceptable.

For everyone who has read this, I hope it helps. Think about all of this. Spend some time brainstorming, you can think of ways to raise money I'm sure. I hope to see each and every one of you on the road and on the feild this summer.

If anyone has any other ideas or ways to raise money, go ahead and post them. Feel free to dicuss these ideas as well.

Say your tour dues are $2600.00. If you get 200 people to put in $12.50, there you go! Bam! $12.50! It's just THAT easy! And, if you try, I bet you can find 200 people.

EDITS:
Some corps have a thing set up where if you write a check out to a certain group (Ex. MYPPA), then you get tax return, or something. wasn't sure how it worked, but you mention that, and people wanna give more money. So contact the director about that too, one of Mel's post reminded me.
Some corps have "scholarship" options. Ex. You enter a letter saying what being in the corps and marching means to you. You win, you get 1000 off your dues! DCI also has these scholarship options available, as do some organizations. ENTER ANY AND ALL OF THESE THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO. Getting ANY money off your dues should excite you, right? So, whats thw worst that can happen? You write a nice little essay, and don't get picked. On the other hand, you could get BIG money off your dues. It's worth the 20 minutes.

wturner901 says: You can send letters to local government officials. It works brilliantly, as if they donate to a nonprofit organization that deals with "The Arts", they can say they support the education of art in young people. (DOES NOT WORK FOR DCA LOL) I know a few people that were ballsy enough to do it. I think they got like $100 from different people, each. This was local government. (Mayor, State Congress, etc.). I wouldn't advise sending a letter to Obama.
Hosting a garage sale will get you a bit more than 12.50, by the way. You can pile up all the useless crap around your house and probably get at least $300.

bltsponge says: To add to the asking friends for donations thought: If the corps you wanna march has an alumni organization, try asking there. I know the Cabs alumni has been very helpful for younger people in the competing corps who needed the money to march. I'm sure other corps' alumni are helpful as well.
What fking corps has dues of 2600 bucks?
i have marched in HS and Div. 2 DCI.
my opinions and comments are mine and mine alone, and in no way reflect the beliefs, teachings, or opinions of any group i am associated with.
sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS wrote:when your about to go insane take the time to stop and appreciate how nice the color guard girls butt looks while shes wearing virtually nothing. give yourself a highfive then go back to being awesome at band.

ConorD Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:22 pm

PogoPantheon wrote:
Memphonian wrote:Snare Science has been needing this topic for a while, so here it is. I'll be adding more and editing the original posts all throughout today.

Have you ever wanted to march DCI, DCA, or WGI, but you "complained" that you couldn't due to money issues? Can't pay for the camps or the tour fees? Are you just bummed out about that fact? Wellll....you don't have to be, ever. There are multiple ways to come up with money, that a lot of people overlook.

The first of course is fundraising. Fundraising is a GREAT way to raise money. Some corps or indoor lines have fundraising ideas set up through the organization, just as a march-a-thon, bowl-a-thon, raffling items, selling magazine subscriptions, you name it. So the first thing you should do is talk to the director and your respective caption head of the organization. Find out whether or not your organization has any fundraisers set up. If not, then suggest that they do. Hey, even car washes will work. Anything to raise money, right?

The second thing is something some people don't feel comfortable doing. However, if you REALLY wanna march, you'll do it. It's asking for donatations from people. Im not talking complete strangers or anything. Ask all your family and all your friends, and I mean ALL. Send out letters (those work GREAT) to everyone, call people, anything. Even if someone gives you $1.00, thats $1.00 less that YOU have to pay out your pocket, so take it. Say your tour dues are $2600.00. If you get 200 people to put in $12.50, there you go! Bam! $12.50! It's just THAT easy! And, if you try, I bet you can find 200 people. And most people wil be willing to give you a little bit of money, after you explain what its about. So send them a letter or phone call, and explain what DCI/DCA/WGI (whichever your doing) is, and where their money is going. It will usually work. A great thing to do is ask people whove marched corps. I wouldn't suggest asking some marching this season, put people who have aged out will usually give a few bucks to help. Heck, from a family friend this past season (turns out he marched 2 years of blue raiders, then phantom for 4-5 years bassline, then aged out with blue raiders) gave me $200.00 this past season. TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS. All because I asked him, and told him about the organization. Ever heard the saying "you'll never know until you try"? It prefectly applies here.

Third; ask for sponserships from companies. If your endorsed by anyone, say sabian or something, send them a letter! Again explain what it is, and that any monetary donatation would be beneficial. If your family works for or owns a buisness, ask em. Anyone in your family with connections can hook you up. I know people that have COMPLETELY paid their dues, just by asked a company to sponser them.

And fourth would be YOU fundraising/working yourself. You could go mow a few lawns maybe, get a couple bucks. Or sell a product, much like people sell cookie dough. There are many ways to fundraise, be creative!

With all this in mind, I'm sure you can think of some ways to raise money for dues. Many, many staff and members of DCI corps have said "Money is NEVER an issue". And really, however much you argue, its not. I just gave you multiple ways you can raise money, so better come up with a better excuse. Where there's a will, there's a way. Think about it. If you marched Corps, you'd be putting in 110% all summer long. Why not give that 110% now? You can raise the money. I personally know many people who never had to put in a PENNY for drum corps. And howd they raise the money? Fundraising, sending out letters asking for donatations, EVERYTHING that I mentioned here. Two such examples are the Mulherin twins from Memphis, TN. They both raised ALL their dues (which, between the two of them, was AT LEAST $5200.00). And, they had money left over for spending money for the summer! So really, there is absolutely NO time when the "money excuse" is acceptable.

For everyone who has read this, I hope it helps. Think about all of this. Spend some time brainstorming, you can think of ways to raise money I'm sure. I hope to see each and every one of you on the road and on the feild this summer.

If anyone has any other ideas or ways to raise money, go ahead and post them. Feel free to dicuss these ideas as well.

Say your tour dues are $2600.00. If you get 200 people to put in $12.50, there you go! Bam! $12.50! It's just THAT easy! And, if you try, I bet you can find 200 people.

EDITS:
Some corps have a thing set up where if you write a check out to a certain group (Ex. MYPPA), then you get tax return, or something. wasn't sure how it worked, but you mention that, and people wanna give more money. So contact the director about that too, one of Mel's post reminded me.
Some corps have "scholarship" options. Ex. You enter a letter saying what being in the corps and marching means to you. You win, you get 1000 off your dues! DCI also has these scholarship options available, as do some organizations. ENTER ANY AND ALL OF THESE THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO. Getting ANY money off your dues should excite you, right? So, whats thw worst that can happen? You write a nice little essay, and don't get picked. On the other hand, you could get BIG money off your dues. It's worth the 20 minutes.

wturner901 says: You can send letters to local government officials. It works brilliantly, as if they donate to a nonprofit organization that deals with "The Arts", they can say they support the education of art in young people. (DOES NOT WORK FOR DCA LOL) I know a few people that were ballsy enough to do it. I think they got like $100 from different people, each. This was local government. (Mayor, State Congress, etc.). I wouldn't advise sending a letter to Obama.
Hosting a garage sale will get you a bit more than 12.50, by the way. You can pile up all the useless crap around your house and probably get at least $300.

bltsponge says: To add to the asking friends for donations thought: If the corps you wanna march has an alumni organization, try asking there. I know the Cabs alumni has been very helpful for younger people in the competing corps who needed the money to march. I'm sure other corps' alumni are helpful as well.
Bluecoats, for one.

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:27 am

and the 2600 (at elast for Forte) covers EVERYTHING, inclusing camps. So really, the SUMMER fee is more like 2100 you could say.

PogoPantheon Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:57 am

ConorD wrote:
PogoPantheon wrote:

EDITS:

Bluecoats, for one.
Christ! Does anyone know crowns fees?
i have marched in HS and Div. 2 DCI.
my opinions and comments are mine and mine alone, and in no way reflect the beliefs, teachings, or opinions of any group i am associated with.
sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS wrote:when your about to go insane take the time to stop and appreciate how nice the color guard girls butt looks while shes wearing virtually nothing. give yourself a highfive then go back to being awesome at band.

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:52 pm

Crown's fees are at least 2300 for new members. However, if you plan on auditioning for Crown, I suggest you get other corps experience first. DCI. Not DCA. I dont know their policy, but I'm sure theyd take someone whos done 2 years of DCI over someone whos done 2 of DCA. Not bashing DCA guys, dont misread my post.

kumachan Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:04 pm

VK is 2000 dollars.
Velvet Knights
10': Front Ensemble
Gold
12'-15': Front Ensemble
Orange County Independent/Broken City
11'-16': Front Ensemble

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:29 pm

Crown is 2600 for everyone wondering. So yeah. 2600 isn't a whole lot. Usually its anywhere from 2000-2600

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:53 pm

Btw, here is a group on facebook that you should add. Has more ideas on it. I'm gonna put it in the OP

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7 ... 937&ref=mf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kumachan Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:49 am

I recommend recycling. It helps, a bunch. Especially becquse aluminum is worth more right now.
Velvet Knights
Gold

JLbluefan09 Offline
snarescience addict
snarescience addict

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:32 am

I'm going to wait to start until get my contract at the next camp.
Gateway Indoor
'12 rack
'13 synth

Music City Drum Corps
'12 synth
pearltenors wrote:IM 13 OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kumachan Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:23 am

Hershey's has a website which gives you the chance to sell chocolate. The link is hershey.com/fundraising
Velvet Knights
Gold

AjaxHammer Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:12 pm

in a week and a half, i have raised 180 bucks off of buying candy in bulk and seelinging everything for a dollar. school kids can't resist :twisted:
Jersey Surf 2010 - Snare